Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: Status of TechTool Pro V9.0.1 and OS 10.12, Sierra Compatibility

Status of TechTool Pro V9.0.1 and OS 10.12, Sierra Compatibility 12 Nov 2016 17:09 #7784

micromattech3 wrote:
As far as I know, the statement is still valid, except for the release estimate of "early November". I do not see these compatibility issues myself, since I am still using Mac OS 10.10.5, and testing the beta of TechTool Pro 9.0.2 with it.

Can we assume that V9.0.2 has been tested with V10.12.1 of Sierra? Hopefully that is the case, as there is already a second beta of OS 10.12.2:

www.macrumors.com/2016/11/09/apple-macos...-12-2-public-beta-2/
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Status of TechTool Pro V9.0.1 and OS 10.12, Sierra Compatibility 12 Nov 2016 17:26 #7785

I think it is safe to say that the current beta build of TechTool Pro 9.0.2 is being tested in-house with the latest version of macOS Sierra available to developers.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Status of TechTool Pro V9.0.1 and OS 10.12, Sierra Compatibility 12 Nov 2016 17:38 #7786

[quote="akent35"

Can we assume that V9.0.2 has been tested with V10.12.1 of Sierra? Hopefully that is the case, as there is already a second beta of OS 10.12.2:

/[/quote]

Not to take away from what you wrote i would like to comment that in "my " personal beta testing of macOS Sierra and TTPro 9.0.2 both are really in works in progress.

Status of TechTool Pro V9.0.1 and OS 10.12, Sierra Compatibility 12 Nov 2016 17:41 #7787

Walter,

The beta testing is intended to be confidential.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
The following user(s) said Thank You: Walter

Status of TechTool Pro V9.0.1 and OS 10.12, Sierra Compatibility 12 Nov 2016 17:47 #7788

micromattech3 wrote:
Walter,

The beta testing is intended to be confidential.

opps! sorry for writing about the btesting

Status of TechTool Pro V9.0.1 and OS 10.12, Sierra Compatibility 12 Nov 2016 17:51 #7789

Walter,

Thanks for your cooperation.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Status of TechTool Pro V9.0.1 and OS 10.12, Sierra Compatibility 12 Nov 2016 21:38 #7790

While the info about the testing if V9.0.2 with Sierra is "encouraging", I would still not use beta software, even though I have SuperDuper! backups (two for each of my machines, on separate external drives). It's just too risky.

Also, trying to use V9.0.1 of TechTool Pro with Sierra is also no good, as the eDrive "feature" is not available. One of the main upsides about using TTPro is the eDrive. Not having it is definitely counter-productive.

Status of TechTool Pro V9.0.1 and OS 10.12, Sierra Compatibility 12 Nov 2016 21:39 #7791

micromattech3 wrote:
I think it is safe to say that the current beta build of TechTool Pro 9.0.2 is being tested in-house with the latest version of macOS Sierra available to developers.

Good to hear, although that is what I would expect, especially at this point (OS 10.12.1 was released almost 2 weeks ago).

Status of TechTool Pro V9.0.1 and OS 10.12, Sierra Compatibility 14 Nov 2016 18:17 #7794

georgec wrote:
To MMT3:

"Techtool Pro macOS Sierra (10.12) compatibility - updated 10/24/16
We have been actively testing Techtool Pro with macOS Sierra (10.12) and have found only a small number of issues, none of which affect using Techtool Pro 9 safely. You may use version 9.0.1 safely despite the warning dialogue, however the battery test may not appear for some MacBook users, and the eDrive tool will be disabled. A free update to Techtool Pro 9 (version 9.0.2) should be available by early November which will enable eDrive and remove the warning. Users with immediate compatiblity needs should contact our support team.

Disk Permissions is also disabled in version 9.0.1, and will also be enabled in version 9.0.2 pending any unexpected changes in the OS.

Other Known Issues with version 9.0.1 and Sierra:

TechTool Protection system preference may quit unexpectedly
Drives without UUID may cause Check Computer configuration to hang

None of the above issues have been shown to cause issues outside of the application, drives and data should be unaffected if you experience any of the above."

OK, but for the sake of clarity: I still have TTP 9.0.1 on my drive (unused since Sierra), as well as an eDrive made while I was still on ElCap, which I can boot from (also, BTW, it often does't unmount after the main volume boots; no problem, but strange). Q: Can I use this eDrive (with ElCap) to repair my main Sierra volume (if need be)?

Status of TechTool Pro V9.0.1 and OS 10.12, Sierra Compatibility 14 Nov 2016 19:02 #7795

If an eDrive fails to unmount after you have booted from a volume with an installation of OS X and TechTool Pro on it, then TechTool Pro is not properly installed and should be reinstalled.

I believe that if there were a problem with using the Volume Structures test or the Volume Rebuild tool in TechTool Pro 9.0.1 with the operating systems you mentioned, the Knowledge Base article quoted would state that.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
The following user(s) said Thank You: gbdoc

Status of TechTool Pro V9.0.1 and OS 10.12, Sierra Compatibility 14 Nov 2016 19:34 #7797

as georgec wrote in the above commentary " Disk Permissions is also disabled in version 9.0.1, and will also be enabled in version 9.0.2 pending any unexpected changes in the OS. "

That makes me ask Is running " Disk Permissions " with TTPro the same as running " First Aid " on macOS Sierra with Apple's Disk Utility ?

Terribly confusing and I'm terribly confused by all this.

Status of TechTool Pro V9.0.1 and OS 10.12, Sierra Compatibility 14 Nov 2016 21:05 #7798

Disk Permissions in TechTool Pro is the same as running Repair Permissions in Disk Utility. The Repair Permissions feature is not in Disk Utility in El Capitan and later versions of OS X.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Status of TechTool Pro V9.0.1 and OS 10.12, Sierra Compatibility 15 Nov 2016 18:43 #7803

micromattech3 wrote:
Disk Permissions in TechTool Pro is the same as running Repair Permissions in Disk Utility. The Repair Permissions feature is not in Disk Utility in El Capitan and later versions of OS X.

Onyx and Disk Warrior also have Repair Permissions as options. I used Disk Warrior late last week to Repair Permissions on my Mac Mini, and it ran fine. And as part of my weekly disk cleanup/maintenance/repair, and backup processing on Saturdays, I successfully ran Repair Permissions in Onyx for both of my Macs. As expected, it worked fine.

Status of TechTool Pro V9.0.1 and OS 10.12, Sierra Compatibility 15 Nov 2016 19:07 #7804

All utilities that offer a repair permissions feature produce exactly the same result, because they are all sending exactly the same command to the operating system.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Status of TechTool Pro V9.0.1 and OS 10.12, Sierra Compatibility 15 Nov 2016 20:29 #7807

Unless I’m wrongly informed, I think this whole “repair permissions” issue needs to be put into perspective. Perhaps, with the much earlier OS’s, perms often went haywire. In any case, “repair perms” used to be part of the liturgy, and we all did it obediently, but I don’t know how often broken perms were really a problem, or any problem at all. In the meantime, it seems that while incorrect permissions may, but not always are, a problem, that only causes real problems - apps, even the OS, not operating properly and such - very rarely. On top of that, every new installation of the OS sets permissions correctly again. And all that’s probably why Apple struck that function from DU’s repertoire. That capability can still be called up from the OS, which would be a useful troubleshooting tool in case of obvious malfunction, but it’s entirely unnecessary as a part of routine maintenance, though it doesn’t hurt, either. TTP, OnyX, and probably others, can do this, and that may sometimes be useful, but I can’t see being upset about not being able to do it routinely. But if you absolutely feel the need, OnyX, or any of the rest will do it for you, all in the same way, using the routine in the OS, as MMT3 has pointed out.

Status of TechTool Pro V9.0.1 and OS 10.12, Sierra Compatibility 15 Nov 2016 21:30 #7808

micromattech3 wrote:
All utilities that offer a repair permissions feature produce exactly the same result, because they are all sending exactly the same command to the operating system.

You mentioned that once before. Onyx offers a free way to do it (besides its other useful tasks).

Status of TechTool Pro V9.0.1 and OS 10.12, Sierra Compatibility 15 Nov 2016 21:35 #7809

gbdoc wrote:
Unless I’m wrongly informed, I think this whole “repair permissions” issue needs to be put into perspective. Perhaps, with the much earlier OS’s, perms often went haywire. In any case, “repair perms” used to be part of the liturgy, and we all did it obediently, but I don’t know how often broken perms were really a problem, or any problem at all. In the meantime, it seems that while incorrect permissions may, but not always are, a problem, that only causes real problems - apps, even the OS, not operating properly and such - very rarely. On top of that, every new installation of the OS sets permissions correctly again. And all that’s probably why Apple struck that function from DU’s repertoire. That capability can still be called up from the OS, which would be a useful troubleshooting tool in case of obvious malfunction, but it’s entirely unnecessary as a part of routine maintenance, though it doesn’t hurt, either. TTP, OnyX, and probably others, can do this, and that may sometimes be useful, but I can’t see being upset about not being able to do it routinely. But if you absolutely feel the need, OnyX, or any of the rest will do it for you, all in the same way, using the routine in the OS, as MMT3 has pointed out.

I'm definitely not upset about it, and I do run Onyx once a week. Even since El Capitan, Onyx still finds permissions that need to be repaired. And I have to run it twice to get all the permissions repaired.

Also, while it is true that every new installation of the Mac OS sets them correctly, it's obvious (at least what I am seeing) that using applications after such an installation still needs for permissions to be reset. And, even when Apple issues an update to a current version of the OS (like v10.12.1 for V10.12), applying such an updater (even a Combo one) does not reset permissions.

Status of TechTool Pro V9.0.1 and OS 10.12, Sierra Compatibility 15 Nov 2016 23:39 #7810

akent,

Perms being “reset” may or may not mean that they were “broken” or needed repair, but only that they’re different from what the perms repair routine thinks they ought to be. To complicate matters, they may not even be “wrong”. A disagreement among friends, sort of, nothing more, usually legitimate, and of no consequence. All that has to do with the arcane workings of programs, about which I admittedly don’t know very much.

But that’s beside the point for now. The practical, and essential, question seems to whether you experienced problems before running the repair. If you didn’t (and I bet you didn’t, at least, only very rarely, with the newest two OS’s), it strongly suggests that the perms weren’t problematic, or broken in any meaningful way. Thus, your “repair” didn’t actually “fix” a problem, because there was none in the first place.

I believe you overvalue the importance of the “repaired” state. Running something like the whole OnyX suite (“Automation”) doesn’t just repair perms. If you see some kind of improvement after running it, like your Mac being peppier, my guess is that that’s because other routines OnyX calls up, like clearing caches and rebuilding stuff, clear out some of the flotsam and jetsam that’s begun to clog the pipes a bit, but only very, very rarely stops them up completely.

Status of TechTool Pro V9.0.1 and OS 10.12, Sierra Compatibility 16 Nov 2016 00:07 #7811

gbdoc,

I never said I was having issues. But, I still see value in Repairing Permissions, and I feel comfortable doing it. It is basically second nature to me.

I guess the same thing could be said when I change both the air filter and cabin air filter every spring in each of our automobiles, even though we have not put on the number of miles the manufacturer states between such changes. As it is, I do it myself, it is easy, and the parts are WAY less expensive than at the dealer. But, like Repairing Permissions, I'll continue to do that, as I see value in it.

Status of TechTool Pro V9.0.1 and OS 10.12, Sierra Compatibility 30 Nov 2016 12:44 #7851

C'mon Santa, it's getting damn near Christmas, and you've had my money long enough... I know, I know, re-writing takes time, but still, and with zero intention to upset micromattech3, this feels like it's getting silly. I'm finding it extremely boring to open TTP 9, check for updates and get the zippy message 'You're up to date!', delivered like it's a good thing... I remember it being said that Micromat's servers risked being over-loaded if we were all notified that an update is available at the same time, but please could you sort something out so that we *don't* have to rely on checking for updates? Or even opening TTP 9 when we otherwise wouldn't? Maybe a staggered release of emails to registered owners, or something... Thanks for reading.

Status of TechTool Pro V9.0.1 and OS 10.12, Sierra Compatibility 30 Nov 2016 13:39 #7852

Thanks for your suggestion, which I have forwarded to the beta administrator for TechTool Pro.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Status of TechTool Pro V9.0.1 and OS 10.12, Sierra Compatibility 30 Nov 2016 14:39 #7853

Your boredom is at an end. Check the Available Downloads at the bottom of your My Account page:

TechTool Pro 9.0.2 Installer (154.2 MB)
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Status of TechTool Pro V9.0.1 and OS 10.12, Sierra Compatibility 30 Nov 2016 14:43 #7854

On it! After all this time, it does feel like Christmas came early! Thank you. :)

Status of TechTool Pro V9.0.1 and OS 10.12, Sierra Compatibility 30 Nov 2016 14:59 #7855

You are welcome.

Now you will have to think of something else for Christmas!
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Status of TechTool Pro V9.0.1 and OS 10.12, Sierra Compatibility 30 Nov 2016 15:02 #7856

Rats...! ;)

Status of TechTool Pro V9.0.1 and OS 10.12, Sierra Compatibility 30 Nov 2016 15:02 #7857

Let's wait for 9.0.3
Got used to the waiting thing.... ;)

Congrats, and big thank you for the Micromat team.
I'm sure they worked hard on this for a good reason.

Cheers
Dan

Status of TechTool Pro V9.0.1 and OS 10.12, Sierra Compatibility 30 Nov 2016 15:05 #7858

Thanks for your kind comment.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Status of TechTool Pro V9.0.1 and OS 10.12, Sierra Compatibility 30 Nov 2016 15:53 #7859

HOORAY!!! It's up and running fine! Minor carp: it still tells me that my SSD's failing, but AFAIK that may still be an unreliable report. But overall, I'm a happy camper again.

Thanks, MMT3, for your patience with all of us.

Best regards

Status of TechTool Pro V9.0.1 and OS 10.12, Sierra Compatibility 30 Nov 2016 16:37 #7860

You are welcome.

If the S.M.A.R.T. report says an SSD is failing, search at Google for the model description and the number of the relevant S.M.A.R.T. failure. See if there are other such reports, then check to see if a firmware update is available for the drive. That has already worked in a few cases. Finally, contact the maker of the drive to see how they interpret the results.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Status of TechTool Pro V9.0.1 and OS 10.12, Sierra Compatibility 30 Nov 2016 17:21 #7861

Raise the flag! It's finally here. I just hope it works flawlessly with OS 10.12.1, and with the soon-to-be OS 10.12.2.

Status of TechTool Pro V9.0.1 and OS 10.12, Sierra Compatibility 30 Nov 2016 19:03 #7862

OK, I downloaded and installed V9.0.2, including the update for my eDrive partition. I am still on OS 10.11.6, but this weekend, I plan on upgrading to Sierra, OS 10.12.1. My plan (as usual) will be:

1. Run Onyx to utilize some of its useful features.

2. Run V9.0.2 of TechTool Pro from the eDrive to perform a number of its functions.

3. Make a SuperDuper! backup of my "clean" system.

4. Re-start my Mac from that SuperDuper! backup.

5. Launch Disk Utility from that backup to Erase and Format the internal SSD.

6. Launch the file "Install macOS Sierra", and perform a clean, "virgin" installation of OS 10.12.

7. Use Migration Assistant to "migrate"/copy needed "stuff" from the backup to the internal SSD.

8. Re-start my Mac from the SSD.

9. Apply the OS 10.12.1 updater (along with a couple of updates for Onyx and Logitech Control Center).

By the time I am done with that, I suspect the eDrive for Tech Tool Pro is still "based on" OS 10.11.6. So, would I just launch TTPro V9.0.2, remove the eDrive, create a new eDrive, and that will bring the eDrive up to date with OS 10.12.1?

Please advise.

Status of TechTool Pro V9.0.1 and OS 10.12, Sierra Compatibility 30 Nov 2016 19:28 #7863

Yes.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Status of TechTool Pro V9.0.1 and OS 10.12, Sierra Compatibility 30 Nov 2016 23:51 #7864

@akent - MMT3’s “yes” is, of course, correct, but I believe that was (mostly) in answer to the question you asked at the end of your post. If I may, though, I’d like to address the 9 points you made before you asked your question. As you have made clear in a number of posts, you’re clearly a very careful guy, a belt-and-suspenders person, and there’s certainly nothing wrong with that. Your usual 9-step upgrade procedure is clearly conceived to result in a sqeaky-clean main boot volume on your SSD.

The reason I’m writing now is because I’m not sure if some of your procedure doesn’t actually put you at some risk, which might be avoidable. The steps which worry me are numbers 4 through 8. You want your stuff to end up on a “virgin” Sierra installation. My experience over the years is that everything that computers (and anything else, for that matter) do, they - especially Macs - usually do them correctly, and without a hitch. But s*** can happen, and sometimes does, so a useful corollary to this is “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it”. Your steps 5, 6, and 7 are what I’m mostly referring to. Each one could go wrong. Of course, you still have your SD clone to fall back on, so you’re OK - provided your clone is good (again, s*** happens).

It seems to me that, unless you have reason to suspect your SSD itself may have a problem (in which case that would need correction before all else), your procedure could go like this: 1, 2, and 3 just as you do now. Then:

4. Install the latest Sierra directly onto your boot volume. This is simple and nearly never a problem, but if a problem turns up, you still have your pre-Sierra SD clone.

And finally, as in your question, end by removing the TTP eDrive and re-install it.

This modified procedure also takes less time.

I imagine you have never had a problem with your system, and I hope you never do. But I believe my shortened procedure would protect you even more.

Best regards
Last Edit: 01 Dec 2016 00:14 by gbdoc.

Status of TechTool Pro V9.0.1 and OS 10.12, Sierra Compatibility 01 Dec 2016 00:17 #7865

The question of whether a "clean install" is preferable to an "install in place" is an empirical one, and the correct answer may vary with each new release of the Mac OS. Here is a good general discussion of the issue, when installing Mavericks was new, by Dan Frakes:

Should you do a "clean install" of Mavericks?

I suggest that people read the Apple Discussion Forums and the reader reports at www.macintouch.com to get a good overview of other people's results.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Status of TechTool Pro V9.0.1 and OS 10.12, Sierra Compatibility 01 Dec 2016 00:37 #7866

micromattech3 wrote:
The question of whether a "clean install" is preferable to an "install in place" is an empirical one, and the correct answer may vary with each new release of the Mac OS. Here is a good general discussion of the issue, when installing Mavericks was new, by Dan Frakes:

Should you do a "clean install" of Mavericks?

I suggest that people read the Apple Discussion Forums and the reader reports at www.macintouch.com to get a good overview of other people's results.

I appreciate the info, and yes, it is always a decision as to do either a clean installation or an installation in place. But, I have followed my 9 step process with the last 3 Mac OS upgrades, and have been successful each time. I guess I just want to get rid of any unnecessary "stuff" from the prior OS. Also, with all the various upgrades that I have done between Mac OS releases (both for the Mac OS itself and my apps), again I prefer a "clean" system to start with.

Status of TechTool Pro V9.0.1 and OS 10.12, Sierra Compatibility 01 Dec 2016 00:50 #7867

@gbdoc - Yes, the "yes" from MMT3 was for the very last question I asked in my post above. I also appreciate your input/perspective on this. But I have followed that procedure so often, with always having success, and it is second nature to me. The old saying "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" is applicable here.

As for risk, there would also be risk in following what you are suggesting for Step #4. Given that I am using TechTool Pro every week to check my drives, I truly believe that is minimizing any "surprise" issues with the drives. Also, after I run Step #2, I would hope TTPro would reveal any issues (why else would I use the software?). I guess if I had any doubts, after Step 4, I could run Disk Warrior from the backup to verify (or re-verify?) that everything is OK.

I already provided a somewhat detailed answer to the last post by MMT3, regarding the link to the macworld article. But to re-emphasize, I just feel better to start with a completely clean system after the upgrade.

Again, though, thanks for your comments. Your procedure, I'm sure, would work. But, I'm good to go with mine.

Status of TechTool Pro V9.0.1 and OS 10.12, Sierra Compatibility 01 Dec 2016 12:05 #7868

Thanks, but been there, done that, but couldn't even get the T-shirt. I could google nothing helpful, except that Toshiba drives are untestable unless they came out with a firmware upgrade. All my attempts to get any help from Toshiba have been fruitless. One of their responses was that they would have to know the Toshiba model number, which is not the same as the Apple model number (APPLE SSD TS0256F), and they couldn't deduce the Toshiba number from the Apple number. So far, Apple has been no help here, either. I guess I'll just have to wing it, at least so long as I have no other indicators of a disk problem, feeling relatively safe because I make bootable clones regularly.

Status of TechTool Pro V9.0.1 and OS 10.12, Sierra Compatibility 01 Dec 2016 13:48 #7869

Not a good situation.

I hope there is a firmware update in the future that will make the drive testable. By searching for SSD TS0256F, I found this interesting smartmontools case:

www.smartmontools.org/ticket/615
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Status of TechTool Pro V9.0.1 and OS 10.12, Sierra Compatibility 01 Dec 2016 19:01 #7870

gbdoc wrote:
Thanks, but been there, done that, but couldn't even get the T-shirt. I could google nothing helpful, except that Toshiba drives are untestable unless they came out with a firmware upgrade. All my attempts to get any help from Toshiba have been fruitless. One of their responses was that they would have to know the Toshiba model number, which is not the same as the Apple model number (APPLE SSD TS0256F), and they couldn't deduce the Toshiba number from the Apple number. So far, Apple has been no help here, either. I guess I'll just have to wing it, at least so long as I have no other indicators of a disk problem, feeling relatively safe because I make bootable clones regularly.

Man, that's a bummer! I guess I am "lucky", in that my mid 2013 13" MacBook Air has a Samsung "256" gig SSD inside it (it is actually closer to 251 gig, and I suspect it is the EVO "variety"). In my Mac Mini, I have a Samsung 840 Pro 256 gig SSD. So, far, for both of them, things are good. (I also have no T-Shirts from Samsung!).

Why Apple will not do something about those Toshiba drives is a mystery. I just did a google search of that model number, and saw quite a few links about issues with those SSDs.

I've always held the belief that Samsung SSD drives are the best. So far, that is proving true.
Last Edit: 01 Dec 2016 20:56 by akent35.

Status of TechTool Pro V9.0.1 and OS 10.12, Sierra Compatibility 01 Dec 2016 21:06 #7871

gbdoc wrote:

Not sure if this will help you or not, but apparently there were prior issues with the 64 gig and 128 gig versions of those Toshiba SSDs, and Apple provided a free replacement:

geek-mag.com/posts/198350/

I don't know what kind of machine you have. Also, note that article contains the statement "According to some information problem SSD can be displayed in information on system as APPLE SSD TS0256F".

Finally, the English in that article is not perfect, but seems to be understandable.

Finally, can you replace that problematic SSD with a Samsung one, or is the firmware on your machine restrictive?

Status of TechTool Pro V9.0.1 and OS 10.12, Sierra Compatibility 28 Jan 2017 22:28 #8045

Anyone know how to turn off that annoying pop up I always get every 2 mins telling me my disk has 15% free space left? When I read about it it says "The Volume Usage threshold for this volume is configured in the TechTool Protection system preference". But where is that, I can't find the pref's settings at all. I'm using TTP 9 btw, just got it, to go with Sierra. Otherwise it works fine. Just need to adjust that one setting...thanks

Status of TechTool Pro V9.0.1 and OS 10.12, Sierra Compatibility 28 Jan 2017 22:40 #8046

Having a volume with too little free space is a problem. On a bootable volume, you might run out of enough disk space that is both free and contiguous (all in one piece) to create virtual memory swapfiles that are not fragmented. When the virtual memory swapfiles are fragmented, performance suffers greatly. All Unix-based operating systems have used 15% free space as a rule-of-thumb. (The old posting has some links that no longer work.)

You can turn off the warning in the TechTool Protection system preferences pane. It is not in the TechTool Pro application. Open System Preferences, then choose TechTool Protection:
Attachments:
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 28 Jan 2017 22:53 by micromattech3.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shepherd101

Status of TechTool Pro V9.0.1 and OS 10.12, Sierra Compatibility 28 Jan 2017 23:16 #8047

Awesome. It worked! Thanks for the info. It's not a bootable drive it's my 2nd of 3 12TB storage back up drive arrays (RAID). I don't mind being warned, just not every 2 mins. I changed it to 12% and extended the warning as far as it would go, which is only 59 mins. I wish I could set it to once a week. Cheers!

Status of TechTool Pro V9.0.1 and OS 10.12, Sierra Compatibility 28 Jan 2017 23:19 #8048

Thanks it worked! Would never have figured that out. Dang. It's not a bootable drive, it's the 2nd of 3 back ups. Data only. Each 12TB. So should be fine to go lower. I set it to 12% and 59 mins warnings. I wish I could set it to warn like once a week.

Cheers!

Status of TechTool Pro V9.0.1 and OS 10.12, Sierra Compatibility 28 Jan 2017 23:23 #8049

You are welcome, and I agree that for non-bootable data storage on such a large drive, 12% free space should be fine.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Status of TechTool Pro V9.0.1 and OS 10.12, Sierra Compatibility 29 Jan 2017 01:06 #8050

Sorry about rewriting the response 3 times. I didn't realize there was a delay. I thought I'd done something wrong each time it didn't show up right away ;-)

Status of TechTool Pro V9.0.1 and OS 10.12, Sierra Compatibility 29 Jan 2017 01:15 #8051

Thanks; no apology needed.

The delay is caused by the fact that the forums are moderated. New postings do not appear until they are approved by a moderator.

Once in a while, I answer a posting that I have not yet approved, leaving the reader with the odd experience of reading an answer for which there is not yet a question they can see.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Status of TechTool Pro V9.0.1 and OS 10.12, Sierra Compatibility 17 Oct 2017 16:07 #8690

I have experience a similar situation with a 13% warning. I installed a new 2TB internal hard drive for Mac's Time Machine. Time machine erases the oldest backup when the volume gets too full. I had an external drive set up to do the same, but when I installed TT 9.5, the drive was rendered unwritable/usable for backups. So I installed the internal, moved all the files off the external, and then reconfigured the external with no problem. The TT SMART Check says the external drive is fine now. So there is definitely some interference between Time Machine and TechTools that messes up the drive.

Good to know about the Volume Usage Threshold. I'm hoping TT doesn't lock up this internal drive however.
Attachments:

Status of TechTool Pro V9.0.1 and OS 10.12, Sierra Compatibility 17 Oct 2017 17:15 #8694

The forums are moderated. New postings do not appear until they are approved by a moderator. I have deleted you duplicate posting.

I am not aware of any conflict between TechTool Pro and Time Machine.

The only possible conflict I can think of is that the Time Machine volume might not be available for backing up during the time it takes to make a backup of the disk directory of the Time Machine volume, if you had the TechTool Protection system preferences Directory Backup feature set to do that. We recommend excluding Time Machine from Directory Backup, because if you have 40 backups in your Time Machine volume, its disk directory is about 40 times as large as the source volume.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Time to create page: 0.462 seconds