Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: Status of TechTool Pro V9.0.1 and OS 10.12, Sierra Compatibility

Status of TechTool Pro V9.0.1 and OS 10.12, Sierra Compatibility 10 Sep 2016 16:01 #7572

Given that OS 10.12, Sierra is due to be released on Tuesday, September 20th, I am wondering about compatibility of TechTool Pro V9.0.1 with OS 10.12. Please let us know.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Status of TechTool Pro V9.0.1 and OS 10.12, Sierra Compatibility 10 Sep 2016 16:11 #7573

There will be an update that will be compatible with Sierra. We must test the update with Sierra after it is actually released. If you substitute "Sierra" for "El Capitan" in the thread linked below, you will see why we must be cautious:

www.micromat.com/component/kunena/techto...n-compatibility#6594
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Status of TechTool Pro V9.0.1 and OS 10.12, Sierra Compatibility 23 Sep 2016 01:06 #7594

Now that OS 10.12 has been released, how close is Micromat to releasing an upgrade for TechTool Pro V9.0.1?
The following user(s) said Thank You: microarek

Status of TechTool Pro V9.0.1 and OS 10.12, Sierra Compatibility 23 Sep 2016 01:18 #7595

No one can really tell you how close someone else is to doing something that has never been done before.

The beta testing of the application is covered by a non-disclosure agreement.

Years ago, long before we had our own forums, I made the mistake of posting an informal estimate that we would have an update ready in a few weeks. When that did not happen, someone made it his hobby for a while to try to gather evidence that our programmers were "stuck" on something. No, they were just being careful, as was the beta administrator.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Status of TechTool Pro V9.0.1 and OS 10.12, Sierra Compatibility 23 Sep 2016 18:33 #7598

Is there an email list we can be added to to let us know when Sierra compatibility is available?

Status of TechTool Pro V9.0.1 and OS 10.12, Sierra Compatibility 23 Sep 2016 18:52 #7599

No. It is preferable to have people discover the update themselves by using the "Check for Update" feature in the TechTool Pro application, or by checking the Available Downloads at the bottom of their My Account page, linked at the top of our Website. If we sent out an email message, there might be too many simultaneous downloads.

I suggest that you change your screen name to something other than your email address. These forums are indexed by Google, and you might find yourself the recipient of a lot of spam.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Status of TechTool Pro V9.0.1 and OS 10.12, Sierra Compatibility 25 Sep 2016 17:39 #7602

I'm waiting for this update too. At this time, the Protogo utility does not work well, and no computer is able to boot with an external disk with a "Sierra Basic System" created with the utility. Directly we have in screen the mac os utilities and not Techtool Pro, etc.

Status of TechTool Pro V9.0.1 and OS 10.12, Sierra Compatibility 25 Sep 2016 19:06 #7603

The update will be released after it is completed and thoroughly tested.

Please not try using TechTool Pro 9.0.1 with Sierra.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Status of TechTool Pro V9.0.1 and OS 10.12, Sierra Compatibility 26 Sep 2016 03:13 #7604

micromattech3 wrote:
No. It is preferable to have people discover the update themselves by using the "Check for Update" feature in the TechTool Pro application, or by checking the Available Downloads at the bottom of their My Account page, linked at the top of our Website. If we sent out an email message, there might be too many simultaneous downloads.

I suggest that you change your screen name to something other than your email address. These forums are indexed by Google, and you might find yourself the recipient of a lot of spam.

I believe using the "Check Update" process will update TechTool Pro "in place", and the actual update file will not be downloaded. That is why I prefer to get the update from here.

Also, from my prior experience, it seems that one needs to go through two updates: one for TechTool Pro itself, and one for the eDrive feature. Is this two step process still needed when one downloads and installs the updater themselves, versus doing it "in place"?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Walter

Status of TechTool Pro V9.0.1 and OS 10.12, Sierra Compatibility 26 Sep 2016 10:15 #7605

Using the "Check for Update" feature updates the copy of the application in your /Applications folder, using the industry-standard Sparkle update software. If you want a copy of the new version of the TechTool Pro installer, see your Available Downloads at the bottom of your My Account page, linked at the top of our Webpage.

The copy of the application in /Applications and the copy on the eDrive must be updated separately. If you boot from the eDrive, you can use "Check for Update". Or, you could boot from the eDrive, quit the copy of TechTool Pro that launches automatically when you boot from the eDrive, copy the new installer to the eDrive, and then run the installer to update the copy on the eDrive.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Status of TechTool Pro V9.0.1 and OS 10.12, Sierra Compatibility 27 Sep 2016 20:30 #7614

In my case, I've been using vers. 8 until vers. 9 is out and runs with Sierra. This, in the "old days", was known as a "Catch-22", be happy to upgrade to vers. 9 as soon as I knew that Techtool was now compatible with Sierra (unless a "check upgrade" on vers. 8 would tell me that the vers. 9 upgrade was now Sierra compatible. Just sayin'.

Status of TechTool Pro V9.0.1 and OS 10.12, Sierra Compatibility 30 Sep 2016 00:02 #7625

Why would TTP 8 be any safer to use than TTP 9 on Sierra? Seems to me that it is risky to run either version until at least verified by Micromat on the particular target OS. In my case, I've install TTP 9.01 but will not run anything with it until we get update or notification that it is safe to use.

Status of TechTool Pro V9.0.1 and OS 10.12, Sierra Compatibility 30 Sep 2016 00:06 #7626

Neither TechTool Pro 8 or TechTool Pro 9.0.1 should be used when the active boot volume is an installation of macOS Sierra. Neither version is compatible with macOS Sierra.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
The following user(s) said Thank You: WhatThe

Status of TechTool Pro V9.0.1 and OS 10.12, Sierra Compatibility 30 Sep 2016 01:16 #7627

micromattech3 wrote:
Neither TechTool Pro 8 or TechTool Pro 9.0.1 should be used when the active boot volume is an installation of macOS Sierra. Neither version is compatible with macOS Sierra.

That is excellent advice, and it applies to all third party software which one uses. IN my case, there have been Sierra upgrades for 1Password and SuperDuper! From reports I've seen, Office 2011, Version 14.6.8, works fine for OS 10.12. So, for me, I'm just waiting for upgrades to Onyx and TechTool Pro before I upgrade from El Capitan, OS 10.11.6, to Sierra, OS 10.12. Of course I'll first make a SuperDuper! backup for both of my machines to external devices before upgrading.

I also saw an earlier post about upcoming MacBook Pro models (near the latter part of October) which will require an upgrade to 10.12, so there could be version 10.12.1 of Sierra released around that time. If that is the case, I will wait to upgrade to OS 10.12.1, just like last year when OS 10.11.1n was released about 4 weeks after OS 10.11 came out. At that time, I was again waiting for the same two apps (Onyx and TechTool Pro) to be upgraded for El Capitan compatibility, and thus it just made sense to wait for OS 10.11.1 to be released. All of that worked well for me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WhatThe

Status of TechTool Pro V9.0.1 and OS 10.12, Sierra Compatibility 30 Sep 2016 01:24 #7628

akent35,

Thank you for your helpful observations.

There are many users, the majority of them probably relatively new, who appear not to understand (perhaps through no fault of their own) that the purpose of the hardware is to run the operating system, and the purpose of the operating system is to run the applications, which allow the user to accomplish some useful task. Upgrading the operating system before the applications are compatible with it is an exercise in user-induced frustration.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Status of TechTool Pro V9.0.1 and OS 10.12, Sierra Compatibility 30 Sep 2016 09:15 #7629

micromattech3 wrote:
akent35,

Thank you for your helpful observations.

There are many users, the majority of them probably relatively new, who appear not to understand (perhaps through no fault of their own) that the purpose of the hardware is to run the operating system, and the purpose of the operating system is to run the applications, which allow the user to accomplish some useful task. Upgrading the operating system before the applications are compatible with it is an exercise in user-induced frustration.

Unfortunately, no matter such information is disseminated, about not updating the OS until all updates for third party applications have been released, folks still "rush" to do an OS upgrade anyway. Then, as you stated, it becomes an exercise in user-induced frustration. If only such folks would heed such wise advice!

Also, as I mentioned, I suspect the updates for TechTool Pro and Onyx will be released soon, but with an upcoming update for Sierra on the horizon, it would be wise to perform the OS update when OS 10.12.1 comes out.
The following user(s) said Thank You: microarek, WhatThe

Status of TechTool Pro V9.0.1 and OS 10.12, Sierra Compatibility 30 Sep 2016 10:22 #7630

There have been times when Apple support staff have advised people to wait until the first update to the new operating system is released.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Status of TechTool Pro V9.0.1 and OS 10.12, Sierra Compatibility 05 Oct 2016 19:08 #7649

I just upgraded to TTP version 9.01 and Apple OS 10.12. On thing I noticed is that I could not install and updated e-drive on my main hard drive

Status of TechTool Pro V9.0.1 and OS 10.12, Sierra Compatibility 05 Oct 2016 19:18 #7650

TechTool Pro 9.0.1 is not compatible with OS X 10.12 Sierra. That is why it will not allow you to create an eDrive.

Please do not use TechTool Pro 9.0.1 with Sierra.

I suggest you change your screen name to something other than an email address as soon as possible. These pages are indexed by Google, and you may be getting a lot of spam.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Status of TechTool Pro V9.0.1 and OS 10.12, Sierra Compatibility 14 Oct 2016 18:12 #7653

How close is MIcromat to releasing an upgrade for TechTool pro for Sierra compatibility? It seems to be taking a significant amount of time, especially compared to last year, when El Capitan was released.

Status of TechTool Pro V9.0.1 and OS 10.12, Sierra Compatibility 14 Oct 2016 18:55 #7654

No one can really tell you how close someone else is to doing something that has never been done before.

The update for Sierra compatibility is taking more time because the TechTool Protection system preferences pane is being nearly completely re-written. You many have seen in these forums some reports of sluggish behavior. Instead of simply fixing the problems, the programmers are rewriting the preferences pane to make it more robust, and to make use of more modern APIs from Apple.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Status of TechTool Pro V9.0.1 and OS 10.12, Sierra Compatibility 14 Oct 2016 19:04 #7655

I figured it was something complex, but thanks for the update.

I wonder if the update for TechTool Pro will come out about the same time the first update for Sierra, OS 10.12.1, is released around the end of this month.

Also, wonder how complex it will be when Appel changes their file system sometime next year, as an update to Sierra.

Status of TechTool Pro V9.0.1 and OS 10.12, Sierra Compatibility 14 Oct 2016 19:05 #7656

You are welcome.

I do not think anyone knows now how much work the new filesystem will require.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Status of TechTool Pro V9.0.1 and OS 10.12, Sierra Compatibility 15 Oct 2016 03:20 #7657

Since tech tool 9.0.1 is not compatible with Sierra and the website does not mention this can I get a refund. Just bought it within the last hour. Also, what is "tech tool protection"?

Status of TechTool Pro V9.0.1 and OS 10.12, Sierra Compatibility 15 Oct 2016 09:55 #7658

You could get a refund by contacting the sales department on Monday, but it would make a lot more sense to wait and see when the next update gets released. Thank you.

The TechTool Protection system preferences pane has a number of functions, all of which are explained in the manual on pages
9.1 through 9.10. You can download a pdf of the manual at www.micromat.com/index.php/productmanuals .

TechTool Protection........................................... 9.1
Volume Usage .................................................................9.2
Directory Backup............................................................9.3
Trash History ...................................................................9.4
SMART Check ..................................................................9.5
Power On Self-Test .........................................................9.7
I/O Check..........................................................................9.8
RAID Status......................................................................9.8
Battery Check..................................................................9.9
E-mail Alerts ................................................................. 9.10
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Status of TechTool Pro V9.0.1 and OS 10.12, Sierra Compatibility 16 Oct 2016 13:14 #7661

While I wait for the update I had a question about updating the eDrive. In the past I always deleted the current eDrive, then created a new one. That way I would have the latest tools running the current operating system. Is there a way to just simply update the eDrive without deleting it? My assumption is no to this question because of the built-in protection.

Status of TechTool Pro V9.0.1 and OS 10.12, Sierra Compatibility 16 Oct 2016 13:18 #7662

At the risk of being boring... I bought TechTool Pro 9 after upgrading to OS X Sierra, so it's been useless to me since. In the meantime, Micromat are sitting on a pile of cash handed over for a product that doesn't work, for me and others like me. On the product page (www.micromat.com/products/techtool-pro) it says, 'When macOS 10.12 Sierra ships, a free downloadable update will be provided shortly after Apple makes this release available.' I think the definition of 'shortly' is now being stretched, whatever the cause. In the meantime, it feels to me like you're forward-funding your operations on cash you shouldn't have. This isn't good. Aren't you at least a bit embarrassed? Shouldn't there be a headline warning on the product page that TechTool Pro is incompatible with the current version of Mac OS X?

Status of TechTool Pro V9.0.1 and OS 10.12, Sierra Compatibility 16 Oct 2016 15:49 #7663

You cannot update the system software on the eDrive without removing the present eDrive and creating a new one, because the system software is a subset of OS X. You can boot from the eDrive and use the "Check for Update" feature to update the version of TechTool Pro to the latest one.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Status of TechTool Pro V9.0.1 and OS 10.12, Sierra Compatibility 16 Oct 2016 15:57 #7664

The term "shortly" was used, because it is usually a matter of a few weeks before the new compatibility update is released. I have explained that the TechTool Protection system preferences pane is being nearly completely rewritten. Like every other update, it will require careful beta testing before it is released.

Most people check the forums for comments about compatibility of new releases.

We have very few people ask for refunds. Most of our customers know that getting a refund and then buying the product again when the compatible version is released is a waste of their time and ours.

As for embarrassment, I paid for MoneyWell 3.0 in November of 2015. It was just released last week. I do not mind funding the development of software.

The proper sequence of events is to wait until all of the applications that you use are compatible with the new operating system before installing it.

I suggest you change your screen name to something other than an email address. These forums are promptly indexed by Google, which could cause you to get a lot of spam.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 16 Oct 2016 15:59 by micromattech3.

Status of TechTool Pro V9.0.1 and OS 10.12, Sierra Compatibility 16 Oct 2016 16:18 #7665

I know what you already said, I have read the thread. The trouble with your response is it's entirely from the point of view of a knowledgable software user or Micromat employee. From a consumer's point of view, I think this is all highly unsatisfactory: how is someone stumping up the cash to know that the relevant definition here of 'shortly' is 'a few weeks'? Remember, I did start my first comment with 'At the risk of being boring...' But I think it's important that you flag up the present incompatibility.

Thanks for the tip re name, I assumed I'd come up as anon since I didn't actively log into the forum, but now I look into it I don't see a way to change it – it's greyed out. (Smacks head on desk, wonders why he even bothers with this c**p.)

Status of TechTool Pro V9.0.1 and OS 10.12, Sierra Compatibility 16 Oct 2016 16:27 #7666

I have tried to explain in these forums repeatedly for years that nobody really knows when any software update will be ready, because the results of beta testing cannot be known until the beta testing is done.

I have forwarded your complaint to the beta administrator for TechTool Pro.

You can change your username by clicking the My Account link at the top of the page, then clicking the "Account Information" link. The username field is to the right of the email address field. After making the change, log out, log in, and you should see your new username.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Status of TechTool Pro V9.0.1 and OS 10.12, Sierra Compatibility 16 Oct 2016 16:36 #7667

Thanks, I got there in the end...

Status of TechTool Pro V9.0.1 and OS 10.12, Sierra Compatibility 16 Oct 2016 16:40 #7668

You are welcome, and thanks for the screen name change.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Status of TechTool Pro V9.0.1 and OS 10.12, Sierra Compatibility 16 Oct 2016 16:53 #7669

I am a long time, loyal TechTool Pro customer/user, and as such, I am well aware of these forums. I do, though, have to agree with Someone Else Entirely regarding the lack of clarity for OS 10.12 compatibility. A new user such as him needs to have a clear understanding about this. The statement "Techtool Pro 9 is compatible with all current Macintosh models and system versions. When macOS 10.12 Sierra ships, a free downloadable update will be provided shortly after Apple makes this release available" is somewhat confusing, and I can certainly understand this user's frustration.

Micromat, to be sure, is not the only company that is somewhat "deficient" with something like this. Wells Fargo just recently re-designed their website, and one glaring issue is that the Sign Off choice is no longer on the top of the screen. In fact, one needs to scroll to the bottom of the screen to see it! I have already registered my complaint to them about this. Given all the privacy concerns, issues, etc., for me it is critical to have such a choice CLEARLY visible, like it was before.

In any event, looking forward to the update of TechTool Pro for OS 10.12 compatibility. Can I assume that it will also be compatible with OS 10.12.1, which will be out shortly?

Status of TechTool Pro V9.0.1 and OS 10.12, Sierra Compatibility 16 Oct 2016 17:01 #7670

I have forwarded your comments to the beta administrator for TechTool Pro.

I have no way of knowing whether any program is going to be compatible with an operating system update that has not actually been released yet. The developers have the developer's builds of OS X 10.12.1, but until it is actually released, they cannot test their work with it.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

What's up with TechTool Pro V9 and OS 10.12, Sierra Compatibility? 19 Oct 2016 08:55 #7676

It's been a full month now since we've been waiting for a compatibility update of TTP9 for Sierra; I believe all competing apps have already provided this. I don't believe MM's creators are just sitting on their thumbs, and I know that MM3 can't tell us, but I just want to register my disappointment at this long delay. Luckily, Macs, mine, at least, don't often need to be rescued, but s*** happens unexpectedly, and if it does today, I'd be up a creek if I only had TTP. C'mon, MM, please step on it. www.micromat.com/components/com_kunena/t.../emoticons/angry.png
The following user(s) said Thank You: BeeS4335

What's up with TechTool Pro V9 and OS 10.12, Sierra Compatibility? 19 Oct 2016 09:57 #7677

People are already working a hard as they can on this update. I have tried repeatedly to make it clear that this update is not simply providing compatibility with macOS Sierra, but involves a nearly complete rewrite of the TechTool Protection system preferences pane.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Status of TechTool Pro V9.0.1 and OS 10.12, Sierra Compatibility 20 Oct 2016 00:03 #7678

May I ask SANTA for the update at Christmas?

Status of TechTool Pro V9.0.1 and OS 10.12, Sierra Compatibility 20 Oct 2016 00:17 #7679

Thanks for a moment of levity.

You may ask Santa, but I am confident that if you do, Santa will say, "But that's been out for N weeks already", where N is a positive integer, hopefully a large one.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Status of TechTool Pro V9.0.1 and OS 10.12, Sierra Compatibility 20 Oct 2016 17:20 #7680

micromattech3 wrote:
Thanks for a moment of levity.

You may ask Santa, but I am confident that if you do, Santa will say, "But that's been out for N weeks already", where N is a positive integer, hopefully a large one.

I just hope it is WAY before Christmas!

Status of TechTool Pro V9.0.1 and OS 10.12, Sierra Compatibility 20 Oct 2016 17:58 #7681

So do I!
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

What's up with TechTool Pro V9 and OS 10.12, Sierra Compatibility? 25 Oct 2016 21:52 #7688

You have stated & I have read repeatedly how the rebuild is so hard & so complete.
That does not help or inform users such as me who bought the upgrade, with the note that a 10.12 compatible version would be available in a few days - that was over a month ago.
Now we are on version 10.12.1, and your still working really hard on the upgrade.
I hope you are all having fun because as a lifelong customer, I am not.
A real date would be nice!!!

What's up with TechTool Pro V9 and OS 10.12, Sierra Compatibility? 25 Oct 2016 22:11 #7689

I have stated repeatedly that there is no way that anyone can tell you when someone is going to accomplish something that has never been done before. People are working very hard on this update.

I suggest you change your screen name to something other than an email address, as described earlier in this thread.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

What's up with TechTool Pro V9 and OS 10.12, Sierra Compatibility? 25 Oct 2016 22:34 #7690

If "there is no way that anyone can tell you when someone is going to accomplish something that has never been done before", why does the TechTool product page continue to state "When macOS 10.12 Sierra ships, a free downloadable update will be provided shortly after Apple makes this release available." This statement is clearly untrue, since the update has not yet been provided and Apple shipped Sierra some time ago now, and therefore misleading to prospective purchasers. Obviously, it is also a reminder to those of us who did indeed purchase TechTool Pro 9 based on this clear promise, that we have been misled.

What's up with TechTool Pro V9 and OS 10.12, Sierra Compatibility? 25 Oct 2016 22:44 #7691

The word "shortly" was not defined because there was no way it could be defined.

You have made your point.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Status of TechTool Pro V9.0.1 and OS 10.12, Sierra Compatibility 25 Oct 2016 23:37 #7692

I am always amazed at the rudeness of people on the internet in a way they never would be face to face. Now what would happen, do you think, if Micromat rushed its TechTool 9 compatible with Sierra out to market and, as with many programs, even those of Apple developers, there was a bug that wrecked havoc with Sierra and or other files and programs. Would Micromat be getting messages thanking them for promptness. Come on guys, TechTool is and has always been a fine program. Let them do the work to continue its reputation. Have any of you really fallen on hard times because you have had to wait for the program to be right?

Status of TechTool Pro V9.0.1 and OS 10.12, Sierra Compatibility 25 Oct 2016 23:58 #7693

Thank you for your kind comments and your encouragement.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Status of TechTool Pro V9.0.1 and OS 10.12, Sierra Compatibility 26 Oct 2016 00:16 #7694

Thanks, Josh, for a word of reason. Our (my) impatience is our problem, but has no bearing on reality. As you say, TTP has always been reliable, and that's only because the people in the back room have been doing an excellent job. I'm sure they realize both the urgency and the importance of getting it right, and I'm sure they're doing their best. No one there, MM3 included, deserves any flak.
The following user(s) said Thank You: micromattech3

Status of TechTool Pro V9.0.1 and OS 10.12, Sierra Compatibility 26 Oct 2016 07:23 #7695

I fully agree regarding TTP's reliability, which is why I purchased the TTP 9 upgrade, and I am sure that the new Sierra version will be at least as good - and probably better - than the previous one.

I think the issue here is all about communication: people get impatient when they have an expectation that something they desire will be made available to them within a certain timeframe, but then it doesn't happen or it gets delayed. So it's all about the management of expectations. If the TTP product page did not use the word "shortly", but instead said something like "a Sierra-compatible version will be released as soon as possible, but it will first require significant developing and testing" or "we currently expect that a Sierra-compatible version will be released during Q4 2016 as soon as it has been fully tested", then I think people would have no reason to be impatient and we would not be having this discussion.

Status of TechTool Pro V9.0.1 and OS 10.12, Sierra Compatibility 26 Oct 2016 09:30 #7696

I think your suggestion for replacing "shortly" with a longer description is a good one, but it should be noted that when "Shortly" was posted, we did not yet know that the TechTool Protection system preferences pane would be getting a nearly complete re-writing.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Time to create page: 0.405 seconds