Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: TechTool 8.0.4 Crashed 3 Times During Surface Scan

TechTool 8.0.4 Crashed 3 Times During Surface Scan 12 Jul 2017 01:01 #8440

Today I attempted a surface scan. The estimated time to complete was 2 hours. 3 times TTPro ran for about 90 minutes then crashed. I have attached a crash report. What can cause repeated crashing during a Surface Scan?

TTPro 8.0.4
Mac OS X 10.11.6
Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro8,3
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 2.2 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 8 GB
Attachments:
The administrator has disabled public write access.

TechTool 8.0.4 Crashed 3 Times During Surface Scan 12 Jul 2017 02:05 #8441

Thanks for your report.

Most of the time, when the Surface Scan detects a bad block that has not been remapped to a spare block, it reports an "error" and goes on to attempt to read the next block. There are some rare cases in which it crashes. Please try running the Surface Scan again, and watch to see if it reports any errors. Also, the fact that errors were detected might be in the TechTool Pro logs, which you can read by clicking the Reports button in the TechTool Pro application.

Please try running the Surface Scan to check another volume, such as a USB memory stick, that is relatively small. If the Surface Scan runs that time without crashing, it is likely that the crash you saw when you ran it before was caused by unremapped bad blocks being encountered. Please send a message to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. , including your crash report. The crash report will be examined by a programmer, who may be able to tell if this crash is one that could be caused by an unremapped bad block that was not handled well. Thank you.

In the meantime, make sure you keep your backup of this volume current, and if it is supported, run the SMART test to check the drive.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Time to create page: 0.293 seconds