Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: File Optimization Clarify Results

File Optimization Clarify Results 28 Jun 2017 20:50 #8423

My understanding from forum posts was that for a 730MB file to be optimized there must be 730MB of contiguous free space available to complete the defragmentation. I ran a file optimization and TechTool Pro reported that 21 files had been defragmented and they ranged in size from 25MB to 730MB.

Then I immediately restarted in eDrive mode and went to run Volume Optimization, and TechTool Pro reported that I had only 52MB of contiguous free space with 54GB of non-contiguous free space. This result surprised me because just 15 minutes ago a 730MB file was defragmented.
How could a 730MB file be defragmented when only 52MB of contiguous free space was available?

TechTool Pro 8.0.5
Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro8,3
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 2.2 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 8 GB
The administrator has disabled public write access.

File Optimization Clarify Results 28 Jun 2017 22:12 #8424

The explanation in your first paragraph is correct.

However, the 52MB of contiguous free space with 54GB of non-contiguous free space is a description of the volume after you ran the file optimization, which defragmented some files at the expense of reducing the amount of disk space that is both free and contiguous.

File optimization defragments files that can be defragmented without unmounting the volume. Some fragmented files must be defragmented using Volume Optimization, because of permissions or because the files were in use when the volume was mounted.

The Volume Optimization Preview window shows the largest piece of disk space that is both free and contiguous; it is labeled "largest".

I suggest you change your screen name to something other than an email address. These forums are indexed by Google, and you might get a lot of spam. Use the My Account link at the top of the page, and then the Account Information link. Changing your screen name retroactively updates the screen name that appears in all of your postings.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Time to create page: 0.260 seconds