Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: Validation error on SSD?

Validation error on SSD? 21 Mar 2017 04:31 #8122

Hi, I have an SSD drive and I try to run volume structures test on it (it is my home folder which is external to my boot drive)

I get the following error: FAILED
Validation Error Encountered
Unmount Volume Problem

Is this something fixed in ver 9, or is it a problem with SSD drives in general?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Validation error on SSD? 21 Mar 2017 11:16 #8123

To answer your two questions, "neither".

In order to run the Volume Structures test on a volume, the volume must be able to be unmounted, and then it must in fact be unmounted. The error message you received means that the volume could not be unmounted.

The most common reason why a volume cannot be unmounted is that it contains open files. This problem is common when the volume is a clone of the current startup volume. It is easy to see how having one's home folder on another volume could lead to this problem. In your case, restarting from another volume, such as an eDrive, would be the easiest solution. The other approach is to use the lsof command in Terminal to determine what files are open on the volume, and what applications have them open. Once those applications have been quit, the volume should be able to be unmounted.

Instructions for using the lsof command to locate open files.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Time to create page: 0.280 seconds