Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: Volume Structure test - live and learn

Volume Structure test - live and learn 22 Sep 2016 17:22 #7590

So I managed to corrupt the volume structure of one of my drives, rendering it unreadable. This forced me to wipe and restore the drive with only a handful of files lost. Luckily I had a recent backup to fall back on so not a huge loss, but a good lesson learned.

After running the Volume Structure test the report showed several GREEN favorable sectors, but also a couple of RED unusual sectors. Ignoring my better judgement I decided to go ahead and replace the directory anyway. Immediately the volume was damaged and could not be read. Like I said I was able to restore most of the files, so all I lost was another couple of hours of my day. But lesson learned. Those sectors are RED for a reason!

My question would be, at that point what is the best course of action. If a volume directory could use some fixing, but it is beyond repairing at that level, how do we go about proceeding with that maintentce step?

Thx
Adam
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Volume Structure test - live and learn 22 Sep 2016 17:28 #7591

The general rule is that if the total number of files and folders and the total disk space occupied by those files and folders on the original volume and on the proposed rebuild match, it should be safe to replace the disk directory. If they do not match, you should consider how many files are going to be lost. There is no way to know the identity of those files.

In most cases, if the numbers in the Technical Comparison window do not match, you are better off erasing the volume and restoring the files from a backup. You should never replace the disk directory of a volume for which you do not have a backup.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 22 Sep 2016 17:31 by micromattech3.
The following user(s) said Thank You: influxx66

Volume Structure test - live and learn 22 Sep 2016 17:43 #7592

Thanks, I'll bare that in mind in the future. Although the results are essentially the same - wiping and restoring the drive - in both cases. But at least we can still work with the drive temporarily while it has a bad directory.

Also I should clarify for other readers of this post it was the Volume Repair tool I ran, not the Volume Test. The test found no problems, this was just routine maintenance

Thanks again
Adam

Volume Structure test - live and learn 22 Sep 2016 17:56 #7593

You are welcome.

The Volume Structures test does the diagnosis of the disk directory, and the Volume Rebuild tool attempts to rebuild the disk directory.

You should not add any more files to a volume once you know that its disk directory is damaged, because the additional files may not be recorded correctly in the damaged directory. In some cases, it may not even be possible to add more files to a volume with a damaged directory.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Time to create page: 0.282 seconds