Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: What tests and tools are safe for SSD

What tests and tools are safe for SSD 22 Sep 2016 17:06 #7587

Hi, I know that Drive Optimization is a no-no on SSD drives, but what about the other tests and tools that TTP offers. Are there safe to run on an SSD. Are there any other maintentce procedures that should be avoided on SSD drives?

Thx
Adam
The administrator has disabled public write access.

What tests and tools are safe for SSD 22 Sep 2016 17:15 #7589

The Directory Backup and Trash History features are disabled for SSD drives. From an earlier posting:

Micromat just told me: "Data Recovery features like Trash History and Directory Backup are not available for Solid State Drives because they utilize TRIM which wipes deleted data internally preventing there from being any data to recover. When we learned that not everyone using solid state drive realized that data recovery wasn’t a possibility we updated TechTool Protection to show those drives as greyed out to clarify that for our users."

In some cases, it is not possible to rebuild the disk directory of an SSD, because the new disk directory files (the Catalog B-Tree and the Extents B-Tree) must be written in a single piece (called an "extent") each. The drive may not have enough space that is both free and contiguous (all in once piece) for that to be done.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Time to create page: 0.281 seconds