Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: Can't do a Volume Rebuild

Can't do a Volume Rebuild 07 Aug 2016 20:02 #7442

I guess my question is... How much free space is needed to do a Volume Rebuild?

I have a MBP running OSX 10.11.6 It has a 1TB SSD with 573.2 GB free. When I try to run volume rebuild it stops during step 2 and says I don't have enough space. My E drive is located on a 2nd 2TB drive connected by USB

Help...

Dunc
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Can't do a Volume Rebuild 07 Aug 2016 23:44 #7444

The new directory must be able to be built in RAM, but it must also be able to be written to the volume in such a way that the Catalog B-Tree and the Extents B-Tree files must each be able to be written in a single piece (extent). The disk space is too fragmented to permit that, and SSD drives put file extents in locations based on load leveling, so optimization will not work.

There are some more details in this thread:

Volume Rebuild Failed - Insufficient Work Space error
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Can't do a Volume Rebuild 08 Nov 2016 16:45 #7774

I have a different issue with TTP 8.0.5 not being able to do a volume rebuild.

I am confused by the error message I received: "Volume rebuild is not available because the application is running from this volume."

It isn’t. See screenshot.

I built a Protogo on my MacBook. I used it to boot another teacher’s MacBook Air. TTP is running from the USB stick I used to make the Protogo. TTP is NOT even installed on the MacBook Air.

Am I just unable to use the Protogo to do a Volume Rebuild (or File or Volume Optimization) on another Mac?
Attachments:

Can't do a Volume Rebuild 08 Nov 2016 16:52 #7775

Please send a message to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. , including a link to this thread. You will receive a reply by email.

I have seen one other case in which the application was reported to be running from the same volume that the customer wanted to rebuild, but I did not see how that case was resolved. It would be helpful if the volume rebuild window identified the active startup volume.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
The following user(s) said Thank You: SCosta
Time to create page: 0.296 seconds