Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: Surface scan report export does not include bad block numbers

Surface scan report export does not include bad block numbers 05 Aug 2016 06:23 #7413

as described above, when I have done a surface scan on a particular drive it reports that it found 80 bad blocks.

So I go to Reports, click on the job and 'Save As'

The report that is exported has 'NA' listed for filenames affected by the bad blocks, but no numbers of the bad blocks for me to forward to the supplier for proof. The disk in question is a Promise Pegasus R4 with 4x1tb disks in raid 5 config
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Surface scan report export does not include bad block numbers 05 Aug 2016 10:02 #7414

Please send a message to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. , including a link to this thread. You will receive a reply by email, and may be asked to send in an Apple System Information report. Thank you.

It is possible that the lack of block numbers has something to do with the fact that the drive is in a RAID. I should think that a screen capture of the results of the Surface Scan would be enough proof of the bad blocks for the supplier.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Surface scan report export does not include bad block numbers 05 Aug 2016 10:27 #7415

interestingly, the report generated by TTP includes the block numbers, but they are stripped from the exported report. I did supply a screenshot of the TTP window, but it does not expand enough to show all the bad blocks, and I really did expect all the info from the test to be included in the exported report.

Surface scan report export does not include bad block numbers 05 Aug 2016 12:46 #7416

Thanks for the additional details.

See if you can copy and paste the text from the window in which the block numbers appear.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Surface scan report export does not include bad block numbers 06 Aug 2016 07:42 #7423

can confirm that the exported report does not include the bad block numbers. Verified by copying the report to Textedit and checking manually

Surface scan report export does not include bad block numbers 06 Aug 2016 11:01 #7424

Can you copy the numbers from the window in which they do appear, as you mentioned in posting #7415.

The vendor of the drive mechanism needs proof that there are bad blocks. The numbers of the blocks do not really matter to the vendor.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Surface scan report export does not include bad block numbers 06 Aug 2016 22:39 #7429

no, I could not copy the bad blocks from the window in TTP. The only way I could send proof is by taking a screen shot. In this case the block numbers do matter because the failing device is a raid, and we are looking for clues as to which drive had died.

I really do consider this a bug, would be grateful if you would agree and submit to get it fixed in this or v9

Surface scan report export does not include bad block numbers 06 Aug 2016 22:48 #7430

Thanks for the update and the explanation of why you need the block numbers. I have not seen a RAID 5 in the Surface Scan, and would have assumed that the individual devices would show up,by making use of UUID numbers.

Please send a message to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. , including a link to this thread. You will receive a reply by email on Monday. Thank you.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 06 Aug 2016 22:52 by micromattech3.

Surface scan report export does not include bad block numbers 06 Aug 2016 23:02 #7431

If the block numbers turn out not to provide conclusive proof of which device has the bad blocks, consider putting the drives, one at a time, into an external FireWire or USB drive enclosure.

The Surface Scan simply reads blocks, one after another, and the test does not require that the drive be formatted. It does not matter what type of partition map or volume format the drive has, or whether it has been removed from a RAID array.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Surface scan report export does not include bad block numbers 06 Aug 2016 23:23 #7432

yes I was trying to figure out which physical drive had issues and I'm still working with Promise to work out why their device hasn't alerted me about the issue. I take your point that I can test the drives individually (and I will) but I still think the exported report should include the bad block numbers.

As a longer term test- I will find a faulty drive and see if it works on a single drive but this will take some time.....

Surface scan report export does not include bad block numbers 07 Aug 2016 00:20 #7433

There is no question that the exported report should include the block numbers. The question is whether the failure to include the block numbers has anything to do with the RAID 5 array. Officially, TechTool Pro supports only RAIDs made with Apple's Disk Utility. On the other hand, many customers have reported that various features have worked with other types of RAIDs.

I encourage you to get in touch with This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. after the problem with your RAID is resolved, so we can see whether TechTool Pro can be made to work better with it. Some RAIDs make use of Apple's Disk Utility code (actually, distill) with some proprietary refinements. In some cases, it may not be possible for some features of TechTool Pro to work with a RAID without our having knowledge of someone else's proprietary software.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Time to create page: 0.282 seconds