Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: Directory Backup Function OS X

Directory Backup Function OS X 09 Jul 2016 03:52 #7337

TTP v 8.0.5
OSX 10.11.5

I'm trying to use TPP Directory Backup function (System Preferences Panel). I'm having two issues:
1) I mount an external drive, check the drive in the lest, and choose to Back up Now. The directory is backed up to a folder with the volume name. I can see the folder with content (i.e., 100MB). When I unmount the drive, the same folder that had hundreds of MB after the backup, now has 0MB. Why is the information deleted when the drive is not mounted? Doesn't this defeat the purpose of backing up the directory?

2) maybe related. I choose a location other than my system drive to save the directory back ups to. Regardless, all the backup are saved to the System Drive (Machine Library > Application Support > TechTool Protection). Why are the files not being saved in the assigned drive?

Please advise.
Thanks.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Directory Backup Function OS X 09 Jul 2016 10:13 #7338

Try reinstalling TechTool Pro 8.0.5 by running the installer. You can download the installer from the Available Downloads at the bottom of the My Account page, inked above. Then launch the application, and allow it to update the TechTool Protection system preferences pane. Configure the features in the TechTool Protection system preferences pane. Be sure to use the radio button to turn Directory Backup on, and to have a check in the checkbox next to the name of the volume to be protected.

There are some very rare cases in which simply running the installer to reinstall the program does not produce the desired result, and it is necessary to use the Customize button in the installer and the checkboxes to uninstall the program before reinstalling it. The uninstall feature completely removes the program, so you should have your serial number ready before doing that. It is also helpful to make a screen capture of the way the email notifications are set up.

If reinstalling the program and the ThTool Protection system preferences pane do not work, please send a message to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. , including a link to this thread. You will receive a reply by email on Monday, and may be asked to send in an Apple System Information report. Thank you.

When you choose to have the backup of the disk directory, the Protection data file, written to another location, it should of course be written there, but it is not currently possible to exclude it from also being written to the default location in /Library/Application Support/TechTool Protection/(volume name). That folder for the particular volume in should have a file named "DirectoryBackup (ON)" in it. If that file is missing, please mention that in your message to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. .
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 09 Jul 2016 10:20 by micromattech3.

Directory Backup Function OS X 12 Jul 2016 17:53 #7343

OK, uninstalling and reinstalling worked. I don't think I had done a clean install of TTP since v6.
Doing so, however, deleted ALL of my directory backups in both locations. I was aware this was possible when unchecking a particular drive, however, it was a bit of an unpleasant surprise on the reinstall without warning.

I do have another issue and a comment.
I have 2 USB drives attached, and they are checked in to be backed up. There are folders with the drive names in the two locations, yet nothing is in them - no backups. I've checked, and unchecked them in preferences numerous times. I've clicked on "BackUp Now" and still nothing happens and not backup dates listed. The document "DirectoryBackup (ON)" can be found in the folder. Please advise on a solution.

Since directory backups are critically useful in restoring troubled volumes, I wish this feature didn't feel like a second thought in the TTP app. I would easily pay a few bucks for this as a standalone app (with an option to load the files in the TTP app as needed). I have 30 plus archive drives - a few attached at any time. All of these, and the fact that 2 of the always-attached drives are very large Drobos, generates very large backup files that are taking up huge amounts of space on my small SSD system drive that can't be touched. There needs to be a better way to manage and backup the directory files themselves. To start, perhaps the secondary backups are not deleted when a drive is unchecked, and nearline directory files can be loaded independently.

Directory Backup Function OS X 12 Jul 2016 19:19 #7345

The forums are moderated. New postings do not appear until they are approved by a moderator.

I regret not telling you that uninstalling the program would remove the existing directory backup files.

The folders with Directory Backup(ON) files in them might be from earlier versions of TechTool Pro. If you check the creation date of the folder or the file, you can probably determine that. Thanks for mentioning that you had used TechTool Pro 6 in the past.

You have given the best example I have seen so far of why we should make it possible to exclude the default location for the directory backup files if another location has been chosen. A small SSD is not a good place to be storing a directory backup of very large Drobo.

Please send a message to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. , including a link to this thread, regarding the fact that the directory backup is still not working as it should. Thank you.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Directory Backup Function OS X 12 Jul 2016 21:30 #7347

Here are some details that nobody has asked about for three and half years:

The Directory Backup feature of the TechTool Protection system preferences pane allows you to delete (using the minus sign) the default backup location for a protected volume after you have added another location (using the plus sign).

The interface in the TechTool Protection system preferences pane is intended to make certain that you cannot delete the default location without having already specified another location, thereby having no location at all.

If you choose to turn off the default location, after having chosen another location, the directory backup file is first written to /Library/Application Support/TechTool Protection/(volume name). The directory backup file is copied to the other location that was chosen, at the root level of its volume, in a folder named /TechTool Protection. Then the original directory backup file at /Library/Application Support/TechTool Protection(volume name) having just been copied to the other location, is deleted. In other words, at this point, the program cannot directly write the directory backup to the other location, but must copy it from the default location.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
The following user(s) said Thank You: ndemaste
Time to create page: 0.297 seconds