Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: 8.0.5 can't repair permissions or reboot into edrive

8.0.5 can't repair permissions or reboot into edrive 06 Jul 2016 16:27 #7329

I updated TTP to 8.0.5 as soon as it came out, and now when I went to use it this week I can't repair permissions or reboot into the edrive. If I reboot the iMac and hold down the option key I can choose the edrive partition, but I can no longer perform these functions from within TTP. 27" 5k iMac, 10.11.5. Thanks.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

8.0.5 can't repair permissions or reboot into edrive 06 Jul 2016 17:00 #7330

Download the TechTool Pro 8.0.5 installer from the Available Downloads at the bottom of your My Account page, linked above. Boot from the eDrive, and quit the copy of TechTool Pro that launches automatically on the eDrive. Copy the TechTool Pro 8.0.5 installer to the eDrive, and reinstall the program while still booted from the eDrive. Launch TechTool Pro 8.0.5 to verify that it works properly from the eDrive.

If reinstalling the program does not work, try creating a new eDrive, after making sure you have a backup of all volumes on the device that contains the eDrive. (It is possible that there is something wrong with the system software on the present eDrive.) If creating a new eDrive does not solve the reported problems, please send a message to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. , including a link to this thread. You will receive a reply by email, and may be asked to send in an Apple System Information report, and some log files. Thank you.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

8.0.5 can't repair permissions or reboot into edrive 06 Jul 2016 22:14 #7331

I can boot from the edDrive and can repair permissions, but only if I reboot the iMac and hold down the option key to select the eDrive. Once I do that everything is fine. The problem is when I am booting the iMac normally on my hard drive and use TTP and try permissions repair or to boot or make an eDrive.

My eDrive OS is 10.11.4, I wanted to remove the eDrive and rebuild it with 10.11.5. When I boot my iMac normally and open TTP to do this it won't work. I tried permissions repair too and it won't work. I get a spinning beach ball then nothing happens.

eDrive TTP works fine if I select it with option key at bootup. When I boot my regular iMac hard drive and try TTP permissions repair or eDrive is when I have trouble.

8.0.5 can't repair permissions or reboot into edrive 06 Jul 2016 22:41 #7332

Thanks for the clarification.

The eDrive is normally not mounted, so it does not appear in the Startup Disk pane of System Preferences. To boot from the eDrive, you can either use the Restart eDrive button in the eDrive pane of the TechTool Pro application, or restart and hold down the Option key to invoke the Startup Manager, as you did.

Try reinstalling the copy of TechTool Pro 8.0.5 on your usual startup volume. Check the disk directory of the volume chosen as the eDrive Source Volume (the one to be split to create the eDrive; checking may require booting from the eDrive) by using the Volume Structures test in TechTool Pro or Disk Utility, and run the Surface Scan to check the drive for unremapped bad blocks. If you are still unable to create a new eDrive or to repair permissions, please contact This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. , as described above. Thank you.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 06 Jul 2016 22:42 by micromattech3.

8.0.5 can't repair permissions or reboot into edrive 07 Jul 2016 00:00 #7333

downloaded the installer from here and reinstalled. That seems to have worked. Thanks for your help.

8.0.5 can't repair permissions or reboot into edrive 07 Jul 2016 01:09 #7334

You are welcome, and thanks for the update.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Time to create page: 0.261 seconds