Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: Volume Clone Configuration

Volume Clone Configuration 02 Jul 2016 20:01 #7324

I am trying to clone my main HD to an external hard drive using TTP8. When I go to the "Volume Cloning Configuration" window it does not show the external hard drive as an available "Destination". It shows up on Finder and in the other areas of TTP8, but is not available for the destination drive for the cloning.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Volume Clone Configuration 02 Jul 2016 20:52 #7325

Look at the pop-up menu that allows you to choose between "Duplicate Cloning" and "File Sync Cloning".

Duplicate Cloning makes on the destination volume a bit-for-bit copy of all the data on the source volume, including the free space. It copies bits, not files. In order to be a suitable destination for Duplicate Cloning and appear in the Destination pop-up menu, the desired destination volume must be at least as large as the source volume. The size of the source volume is what matters, not how much of it contains data and how much is free. The advantage of this approach is that it is faster than copying files.

File Sync cloning copies files from the source volume to the destination volume. In order to be a suitable destination for File Sync cloning, the desired destination volume must be at least as large as the contents (not the size) of the source volume.

The external drive should be formatted by Disk Utility to have a GUID partition map and one or more Mac OS Extended (journaled, preferably) volumes.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 02 Jul 2016 21:03 by micromattech3.

Volume Clone Configuration 03 Jul 2016 01:29 #7327

The external drive was formatted by disk utility having a GUID map and has one Mac OS Extended (journaled) volumes. Both the source and destination drives are 2TB drives. The image below is a screenshot of the information about the external hard drive.
Attachments:
Last Edit: 03 Jul 2016 01:32 by cwatson69. Reason: added image desc.

Volume Clone Configuration 03 Jul 2016 01:35 #7328

The forums are moderated. New postings do not appear until they are approved by a moderator.

You would have to compare the exact capacity of the source and destination volumes in bytes to be certain that the Duplicate Cloning method would work.

The File Sync cloning method should work. If reinstalling TechTool Pro 8.0.5 by running the installer (available in your Available Downloads at the bottom of your "My Account" page) does not allow the destination volume to appear after you have chosen File Sync cloning, please send a message to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. , including a link to this thread. You will receive a reply by email on Tuesday. Thank you.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 03 Jul 2016 01:36 by micromattech3.
Time to create page: 0.274 seconds