Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: Cannot Update eDrive to V8.0.5

Cannot Update eDrive to V8.0.5 28 Jun 2016 13:58 #7300

I am using the latest version of El Capitan, V10.11.5, and yesterday I saw where an update to TechTool Pro, to V8.0.5, was available. So, following the instructions here, I launched V8.0.4 of TechTool Pro, and it immediately told me that the V8.0.5 update was available (did not need to select "Check for Updates", as the instructions on this site state). So, I downloaded and installed the V8.0.5 update (I have also subsequently downloaded the V8.0.5 updater file myself). So far, so good, and as expected, TechTool Pro was updated to V8.0.5.

Next, I launched eDrive (after going through the Start Up Disk Preference Pane for entering my admin password so that I could select eDrive to relaunch my Mac). I then selected "Check for Updates" (again, like the instructions on this site state), and surprisingly, the size of the (supposedly) update file for eDrive was the same size as the original one was after I first launched V8.0.4.

So, I proceeded to let the update download, but there was no relaunch choice (again, as the instructions on this site says there is). No matter how many times I tried, I could not get the v8.0.5 update for the eDrive. In fact, after the update downloaded and said to relaunch, I got the dialogue to enter my admin password, but that was useless, as I could not type anything in the password "field". My Mac just beeped when I tried to type something there.

I have subsequently reverted back to V8.0.4 of TechTool Pro (I had previously downloaded the V8.0.4 updater), so that both TechTool Pro and eDrive are in sync.

Hence, what is going on here? Why all this hassle? Also, why is the eDrive updater file not available by itself, like the V8.0.5 Updater file?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Cannot Update eDrive to V8.0.5 28 Jun 2016 14:33 #7301

If you have not launched a version of TechTool Pro for some period of time, the program automatically checks for updates when you launch it.

In most cases, booting from the eDrive and using the Check for Update feature allows the copy of TechTool Pro on the eDrive to be updated. In those cases where that approach does not work, there are two workarounds:

1. Mount the eDrive using the Mount eDrive button in the copy of TechTool Pro 8.0.5 on your usual startup volume, then copy TechTool Pro 8.0.5 from your usual startup volume to the eDrive. (The eDrive remains mounted until you quit the copy of TechTool Pro on your usual startup volume.)

or

2. Boot from the eDrive, quit the copy of TechTool Pro 8.0.4 on the eDrive, copy the TechTool Pro 8.0.5 installer to the eDrive, and then run the TechTool Pro 8.0.5 installer. There is no need to remove TechTool Pro 8.0.4 first.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 28 Jun 2016 14:35 by micromattech3.

Cannot Update eDrive to V8.0.5 28 Jun 2016 16:49 #7302

I run TechTool Pro once a week. In fact, I ran it this past Saturday, so one would think that is "often" enough.

Also, in prior updates, I never had this issue, again with using TechTool Pro on a weekly basis.

I can try your suggestions, and see if either one works. But, it is definitely an issue why it is not working as normal with this update, but has worked fine in the past.

Cannot Update eDrive to V8.0.5 28 Jun 2016 16:52 #7303

If I recall correctly, each time there is an update to TechTool Pro, a few people out of thousands have trouble with updating the copy of TechTool Pro on their eDrive. Determining why the update process failed would probably require having a programmer examine the All Messages log from the eDrive that was in use, assuming that there are any helpful error messages in it.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Cannot Update eDrive to V8.0.5 28 Jun 2016 17:41 #7304

As I said, I have never had such issues before. Also, even before I run TechTool Pro, I do quite a lot of clean up of my SSDs. And, I am constantly (just about everyday) cleaning off unneeded/old stuff from the SSDs. That is, I keep them "lean and clean". This problematic instance just seems so, so counter productive, counter intuitive, and for sure strange.

As for the two possible "fixes", I'm assuming they imply that one has downloaded the stand alone TechTool Pro V8.0.5 already and has a copy available. So, I'd like to know if this is the process:

1. Update TechTool Pro itself to V8.0.5. This can be either via the "Check for Updates" procedure (manually or automatically), or in my case, I can run the TechTool Pro V8.0.5 updater myself without having launched TechTool Pro.

2. Launch TechTool Pro V8.0.5 (or if updated "internally", it is launched already, and check the "Mount eDrive" button. Does that require a restart, or is it mounted right away?

3. When you say "copy TechTool from my usual startup volume to the (mounted) eDrive", do you mean that I literally Option-Drag the TechTool Pro V8.0.5 program from my Applications folder to the mounted eDrive?

4. If that's the case, what do I do next? Do I run it, and if so, how?

For the other method:

1. After updating TechTool Pro to V8.0.5 (and having the stand-alone installer), after booting from the eDrive, I then quit the eDrive. Would I then restart my Mac from my startup disk (I suspect that ism the case)? Doing that, though, will result in getting to TechTool Pro.

2. How do I then copy the TechTool Pro V8.0.5 installer to the eDrive, if it is not mounted? And, even if I could, how do I run it?

Cannot Update eDrive to V8.0.5 28 Jun 2016 18:03 #7305

I see where my prior post (about 5 to 7 minutes ago) has not posted yet. But, I did try the first method, and utter frustration! It did not work. Here is what I did:

1. Downloaded the stand-alone TechTool Pro V8.0.5 updater.

2. Launched that .dmg file, and ?successfully? updated the TechTool software itself to V8.0.5.

3. Launched TechTool Pro, and sure enough, the version was 8.0.5.

4. Clicked the "Mount eDrive" button, and sure enough, the eDrive mounted on my desktop.

5. Quit TechTool Pro, and then option-dragged the TechTool Pro application in my Applications folder (now at V8.0.5) to the mounted eDrive volume on my desktop.

6. Launched TechTool Pro V8.0.5, then selected restart eDrive. After starting the eDrive, it STILL said V8.0.4! Using Check for Updates was a useless exercise.

So, I am definitely baffled!

Would another approach be the following:

1. Completely remove ALL of TechTool Pro, including the eDrive.

2. Launch the TechTool Pro V8.0.5 updater to install TechTool Pro V8.0.5.

3. Launch TechTool Pro, then use the "Create eDrive" button to create a new eDrive.

If that could work, that would seem to be the "cleanest", given that maybe something strange happened to the eDrive.

Or, could I also do the following:

1. Use the stand alone updater to update TechTool Pro to v8.0.5.

2. Launch TechTool pro (now at V8.0.5), and then use the "remove eDrive" button to get rid of the "old" version of the eDrive.

3. Once that is done, use the "create eDrive" button to create the (new, V8.0.5) eDrive.

Cannot Update eDrive to V8.0.5 28 Jun 2016 19:12 #7306

The forums are moderated. New postings to not appear until they have been approved by a moderator.

The second approach you have outlined in message 7305, removing the present eDrive and creating a new one, should work. It is possible that there is something wrong with the system software on the present eDrive, given the authentication problem you mentioned and the odd result that replacing the copy of TechTool Pro 8.0.4 with TechTool Pro 8.0.5 does not work. We have done that copying of the TechTool Pro application from the usual startup volume to the mounted eDrive many times, and have never had the version number display incorrectly.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Cannot Update eDrive to V8.0.5 28 Jun 2016 19:25 #7307

Be sure to have a backup of all volumes on the device that contains the eDrive before you remove the eDrive.

The process of removing the eDrive involves writing to the partition map, and Apple has always advised having a backup before writing to the partition map.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Cannot Update eDrive to V8.0.5 28 Jun 2016 19:35 #7308

I do have 2 backups, as that is part of my weekly disk cleanup/maintenance/repair, and backup processing I do.

I actually went with the second method of 1) using TechTool pro V8.0.5 to get rid of the "old" eDrive, 2) create a new one, and restart my Mac from it. It works. I just hope all the potential problematic "garbage" associated with the prior eDrive gets completely removed.

This still does not answer the question why it would happen. Also, I still did not get explicit, clear instructions with the original "fixes" proposed by you folks.

Also, why is there no separate eDrive updater available for download?

Cannot Update eDrive to V8.0.5 28 Jun 2016 19:41 #7309

Since removal of the original eDrive deletes the entire partition, no trace of the contents of the eDrive can remain.

There is no way to know for certain why the problems you reported have happened. The most likely explanation is that the system software on the original eDrive had something wrong with it, because several odd things, the Sparkle update failure, the authentication problem, and the reported incorrect version number after replacing the TechToool Pro application, took place.

There is no need to have a separate eDrive updater. As mentioned above, booting from the eDrive and using "Check for Update" has worked for thousands of people, with only a few reports of problems.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Cannot Update eDrive to V8.0.5 28 Jun 2016 20:09 #7310

As I have previously mentioned, until this update, I have never encountered any issues. I wonder, though, if such an issue could also be caused by the fact that since the update for TechTool Pro V8.0.3 came out quite a while ago (last October, about 3 weeks after the release of OS 10.11.0, but a week before the release of the OS 10.11.1 update), and then TechTool Pro V8.0.4 was released, that with subsequent Apple updates to El Capitan, something "got out of sync"?

Also, with OS 10.11.6 to be released soon, I wonder if there will be any issues with TechTool Pro V8.0.5? And what about when OS 10.12, Sierra, is released this fall? How soon with TechTool Pro be tested with OS 10.12? For me, I did not initially "migrate"/update from Yosemite (OS 10.10.5) to the first "zero" version of El Capitan (OS 10.11.0), as there were a couple of applications (including TechTool Pro) that I rely on, but had not been updated/upgraded for El Capitan compatibility. Also, the first El Capitan update, OS 10.11.1, was released in early August, almost a full 2 months before the release of that "zero" version of El Capitan at the end of September. What I did was after the apps I needed updated were available (including TechTool Pro), I still waited for the release of OS 10.11.1, about a week after TechToolPro, V8.0.3, came out.

Cannot Update eDrive to V8.0.5 28 Jun 2016 20:58 #7311

There is no way to give a definitive explanation of the problem you had. If there were a reproducible problem, it is likely that someone else would have reported it.

There is no way to know today how TechTool Pro 8.0.5 will react with OS 10.11.6, because Apple not only reserves the right to make last minute changes in what they release to the public, they have in the past exercised that right, when they introduced a new disk directory file, the Extended Attributes file, when Tiger was released.

We are registered developers who get all of the developer builds of the operating system and try to keep a build of our products up-to-date, but before any update can be released, it must be thoroughly tested with the final version of the operating system released to the public. It is never possible to predict in advance how long the process of creating and testing a new update will take.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Cannot Update eDrive to V8.0.5 29 Jun 2016 00:11 #7312

I just hope TechTool Pro V8.0.5 will work with OS 10.11.6 (usually Apple updates within the current OS and TechTool Pro behave "nicely").

I also understand that you cannot predict when a needed new version of TechTool Pro will be ready, especially with a new version of the OS (like the upcoming OS 10.12, Sierra).

Now, a couple of more questions:

1. When you state "replacing the copy of TechTool Pro 8.0.4 with TechTool Pro 8.0.5 does not work.", ie, on the mounted eDrive, does that mean that just option dragging and dropping the newest version of TechTool Pro (in this case, V8.0.5) onto the mounted eDrive (V8.0.4) is all that is needed to be done for the eDrive to get updated to V8.0.5?

2. What is "Sparkle update", and when does that happen? Also, why would it fail?

Cannot Update eDrive to V8.0.5 29 Jun 2016 10:24 #7313

Yes, I meant that option dragging the copy of TechTool Pro 8.0.5 your usual startup volume to the mounted eDrive to replace the copy of TechTool Pro 8.0.4 on the eDrive did not cause the version number of the copy of TechTool Pro on the eDrive to be 8.0.5, something we have never seen before. It should have worked.

We use the industry-standard Sparkle update mechanism. There is no way to know why it failed, but as I have noted before, it is likely that the system software on the eDrive had something wrong with it.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 29 Jun 2016 10:32 by micromattech3.
Time to create page: 0.306 seconds