Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: TTP v8.0.4 Volume Rebuild "Insufficient Work Space To Continue"

TTP v8.0.4 Volume Rebuild "Insufficient Work Space To Continue" 17 May 2016 22:19 #7217

Hey There

I recently updated TTP to v8.0.4, and ever since then, when I try to do a Volume Rebuild, I get the following error message:

Rebuild Error Encountered
Insufficient Work Space To Continue

I'm running the following:

OS X El Capitan
Version 10.11.5

MacBook Pro (15-Inch, Mid 2012)
Processor 2.7 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory 8GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Thanks for your time!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

TTP v8.0.4 Volume Rebuild "Insufficient Work Space To Continue" 17 May 2016 22:27 #7218

Update: May 25, 2016. Please see message #7256 below for a corrected interpretation of the "Insufficient Work Space To Continue" error message.

Original reply:

The problem is one that rarely occurs, the 4 GB limit on the amount of RAM that the Volume Rebuild tool is allowed to use by the operating system. If the sum of the sizes of the disk directory files known as the Catalog B-Tree and the Extents B-Tree is greater than 4 GB, the Volume Rebuild tool cannot be used. There are a few previous mentions of this problem, which can be found by searching for "Insufficient Work Space To Continue".

The programmer has in fact made some changes in version 8.0.4 that help in some cases with this problem, but I do not have any details on that. I suspect that if you reinstalled version 8.0.3, the same error message would arise. In such a case, cloning the files to another volume, erasing the source volume, and then cloning back to the source volume would produce a new directory, but it would not fix any errors. That process defragments the files, which results in a smaller disk directory, but there is no way to know in advance whether the new directory would have a total size smaller than 4 GB.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 25 May 2016 21:13 by micromattech3.

TTP v8.0.4 Volume Rebuild "Insufficient Work Space To Continue" 18 May 2016 01:42 #7219

I was running v8.0.3 without any problems, or I would have been in contact.

Where can I get a download of v8.0.3?

TTP v8.0.4 Volume Rebuild "Insufficient Work Space To Continue" 18 May 2016 02:00 #7220

Please send a message to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. , including a link to this thread. You will receive a reply by email tomorrow.

We would like to have you try to rebuild the disk directory with TechTool Pro 8.0.3, and This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. can provide a link from which you can download that installer. While we would be surprised if TechTool Pro 8.0.3 worked, when TechTool Pro 8.0.4 did not, there is always the slight chance that the changes made inTechTool Pro 8.0.4 to try to improve this feature proved to be counter-productive in your case. There is also a slight chance that the sum of the sizes of the Catalog B-Tree and Extents B-Tree files have recently gone from slightly below 4 GB to slightly above 4 GB on the volume in question.

Thanks for your cooperation.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 18 May 2016 02:06 by micromattech3.

TTP v8.0.4 Volume Rebuild "Insufficient Work Space To Continue" 24 May 2016 22:45 #7240

This is my problem today TTP v8.0.4 Volume Rebuild "Insufficient Work Space To Continue" 18 May 2016 02:00.
THE reason I use Techtool is to rebuild and repair my volume.
Is there no way to make this work without the cloning etc?
I'm puzzled.
Richard

TTP v8.0.4 Volume Rebuild "Insufficient Work Space To Continue" 24 May 2016 22:53 #7241

The problem is a fundamental limitation of OS X, which will not allow a process to use more than 4 GB of RAM. This has been the case for years, while drive capacities continue to increase.

There is no solution other than trying to make the disk directory smaller, which the cloning and cloning back does. Every piece of every file requires an entry in the disk directory. After the cloning process has been completed, each file is in one piece and requires only one disk directory entry.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

TTP v8.0.4 Volume Rebuild "Insufficient Work Space To Continue" 24 May 2016 22:57 #7242

Would you help me by giving me a step by step of how to use a clone please? The one thing I would not want to do is try this and make things stop working all together!!
Thanks,
Richard

TTP v8.0.4 Volume Rebuild "Insufficient Work Space To Continue" 24 May 2016 23:15 #7243

There are instructions in::

Optimize Using the Cloning Tool

I suggest that you make or update a complete backup before you begin.

It is possible that the cloning process will not solve the problem, depending on how [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wear_leveling[wear leveling[/url] works in the drive, which not only varies by drive maker, but by firmware version. If the wear leveling writes the files in many pieces, it may not work, but if enough files get written in fewer pieces, so that the sum of the sizes of the Catalog B-Tree and Extents B-Tree is less than 4 GB, the problem is solved.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

TTP v8.0.4 Volume Rebuild "Insufficient Work Space To Continue" 25 May 2016 12:48 #7244

The problem is one that rarely occurs, the 4 GB limit on the amount of RAM that the Volume Rebuild tool is allowed to use by the operating system. If the sum of the sizes of the disk directory files known as the Catalog B-Tree and the Extents B-Tree is greater than 4 GB, the Volume Rebuild tool cannot be used.

First, thank you for the quick turn-around in replies on the forum. It's great to have good support.

Second, I'm a little confused about the "4GB limit" you're referring to, and was hoping you could shed some light. It sounds like parts of Techtool Pro 8 remain 32-bit. Are you talking about the stack, the heap? Something else? A quick ulimit shows this on my system:
<pre>
core file size          (blocks, -c) 0
data seg size           (kbytes, -d) unlimited
file size               (blocks, -f) unlimited
max locked memory       (kbytes, -l) unlimited
max memory size         (kbytes, -m) unlimited
open files                      (-n) 256
pipe size            (512 bytes, -p) 1
stack size              (kbytes, -s) 8192
cpu time               (seconds, -t) unlimited
max user processes              (-u) 709
virtual memory          (kbytes, -v) unlimited
</pre>
Thank you,

Bill
Last Edit: 25 May 2016 14:48 by micromattech3. Reason: Added code tags.

TTP v8.0.4 Volume Rebuild "Insufficient Work Space To Continue" 25 May 2016 14:05 #7247

Hey There

Just as an update, I went back to v8.0.3, and everything is working perfectly!

All the best!

TTP v8.0.4 Volume Rebuild "Insufficient Work Space To Continue" 25 May 2016 14:16 #7248

I do not know the details of the 4 GB limit. I was told by someone in a position to know that a single process cannot access more than 4 GB of RAM under OS X.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

TTP v8.0.4 Volume Rebuild "Insufficient Work Space To Continue" 25 May 2016 14:18 #7249

Kamisori,

Thank you for the update. I would appreciate it if you would mention that to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. , from whom I assume you were able to get the TechTool Pro 8.0.3 installer. Thank you.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

TTP v8.0.4 Volume Rebuild "Insufficient Work Space To Continue" 25 May 2016 14:24 #7250

Already did before posting here on the forum.

Cheers!

TTP v8.0.4 Volume Rebuild "Insufficient Work Space To Continue" 25 May 2016 14:27 #7251

Kamisori,

Thanks for your cooperation.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

TTP v8.0.4 Volume Rebuild "Insufficient Work Space To Continue" 25 May 2016 14:38 #7252

Hello,

First, thanks for responding so quickly (20 minutes).

Second, please delete my two duplicate posts; I didn't realise that posts needed to be moderated, so I kept posting when I didn't see a response; I wasn't being impatient.

Third, attached is a process running with more than 4GB in the Process Manager. As I recall 64-bit addressing has a memory size of 16 Exabytes; 32-bit addressing is 4GB. It sounds like you're not 64-bit clean. Can you please enquire?

Thank you.
Attachments:

TTP v8.0.4 Volume Rebuild "Insufficient Work Space To Continue" 25 May 2016 14:47 #7253

You are welcome.

I can ask about the 4 GB memory limitation for a single process, but the person who can answer me is away for a few days. I am often not able to look at these forums for hours at a time.

Photoshop has its own implementation of virtual memory, which might explain what you are seeing.

You can spend a lot of time online researching this subject without getting any definitive answers, even after excluding all the irrelevant information about memory management in Windows and Linux. It is the kind of topic popular at apple.stackexchange.com .

I deleted the duplicate postings, and added code tags to your first posting, to make it as pretty as the now-deleted duplicates.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 25 May 2016 14:51 by micromattech3.

TTP v8.0.4 Volume Rebuild "Insufficient Work Space To Continue" 25 May 2016 14:53 #7254

Thank you for an even quicker reply. Wow…that was like five minutes.

I'll look forward to hearing back from you next week.

Thank you.

TTP v8.0.4 Volume Rebuild "Insufficient Work Space To Continue" 25 May 2016 14:55 #7255

You are welcome.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

TTP v8.0.4 Volume Rebuild "Insufficient Work Space To Continue" 25 May 2016 19:49 #7256

Wonka,

I have received a reply to my inquiry about the 4 GB limit on RAM.

I am sorry for the confusion about the interpretation of the error message "Insufficient work space to continue". When customers first encountered this error message, I was told that the problem was that there was not sufficient disk space that was both free and contiguous to allow the rebuilt Catalog B-Tree and Extents B-Tree disk directory files in RAM to be written to the volume in a single piece (called an "extent") each. Later, I was told that the error referred to the 4 GB limitation on RAM.

The Volume Rebuild tool is a 64-bit process and does not have a 4 GB RAM limitation.

The programmers have clarified that the problem is one of free, contiguous disk space, as described earlier in TechTool Pro 6: Insufficient Work Space for Directory Rebuild. Other read or write errors can cause the same error message to arise.

People who encounter this error should send a message to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. for instructions.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 25 May 2016 21:11 by micromattech3.

TTP v8.0.4 Volume Rebuild "Insufficient Work Space To Continue" 26 May 2016 14:55 #7263

Thanks for clearing that up.

Cheers.

TTP v8.0.4 Volume Rebuild "Insufficient Work Space To Continue" 26 May 2016 15:16 #7264

You are welcome.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Time to create page: 0.357 seconds