Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: Cannot access main hard drive in Repair Volume Structures

Cannot access main hard drive in Repair Volume Structures 06 May 2016 01:17 #7186

I'm running Techtool Pro 8 on my 17" Macbook Pro laptop using an external drive as the startup device. When I attempt to run "Repair Volume Structures," my hard drive is not in the list. Any advice on why?

Thank you
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Cannot access main hard drive in Repair Volume Structures 06 May 2016 01:29 #7187

I have not seen any cases in which a Mac OS X Extended (also known as HFS+) volume was not even shown in the list of available volumes.

I have seen cases in which the volume was shown, but was not able to be examined by the Volume Structures test, because it had open files on it, and therefore was not able to be unmounted. For such cases, we have a Knowledge Base article that explains how to use the lsof command in Terminal to determine which files are open on the volume, and which processes have them open.

It would be interesting to see if the volume, which I assume has some type of damage, shows up in Disk Utility, and what Disk Utility provides as a diagnosis.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Cannot access main hard drive in Repair Volume Structures 06 May 2016 01:32 #7188

For the record, there is a Volume Structures test that examines the disk directory of a Mac OS Extended volume, and a separate tool, the Volume Rebuild tool, that attempts to create a new disk directory for such a volume.

Both the Volumes Structures test (which is read-only) and the Volume Rebuild tool (which can modify the disk directory of a volume) require that the volume in question be unmounted.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 06 May 2016 01:41 by micromattech3.

Cannot access main hard drive in Repair Volume Structures 06 May 2016 02:55 #7189

One reason why a volume would not appear in the Volume Structures test or in the Volume Rebuild tool is that the partition map of the device containing the volume is damaged.

If you launch Disk Utility, select the device (NOT the volume, which is indented and to the right of its device) and click the Verify Disk button, the partition map is examined.

The screen capture that is attached may be hard to read. The text output of Disk Utility as it examines a partition map looks like this example:

Verifying partition map for “WDC WD1001FALS-40Y6A0 Media”
Checking prerequisites
Checking the partition list
Checking for an EFI system partition
Checking the EFI system partition’s size
Checking the EFI system partition’s file system
Checking the EFI system partition’s folder content
Checking all HFS data partition loader spaces
Checking booter partitions
Checking booter partition disk0s3
Verifying file system.
Checking Journaled HFS Plus volume.
Checking extents overflow file.
Checking catalog file.Checking multi-linked files.
Checking catalog hierarchy.
Checking extended attributes file.
Checking volume bitmap.
Checking volume information.
The volume Recovery HD appears to be OK.
File system check exit code is 0.
Checking Core Storage Physical Volume partitionsT
he partition map appears to be OK
Attachments:
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 06 May 2016 03:00 by micromattech3.

Cannot access main hard drive in Repair Volume Structures 06 May 2016 16:00 #7190

Thank you for your reply and advice. I just opened Disk Utility (you mean Apple's utility, yes?) and I don't see an option to "Verify Disk." I see the device (the volume is "greyed out"). At the top I see First Aid, Partition, Erase, Mount (greyed out), and Info. I ran First Aid, but it shows no errors.
Attachments:

Cannot access main hard drive in Repair Volume Structures 06 May 2016 17:08 #7193

Your are welcome.

The Verify Disk button should be in the First Aid tab in Apple's Disk Utility, at the lower right, at shown in the screen capture in posting #7189. You need to select the mechanism, as you did in your screen capture.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 06 May 2016 17:09 by micromattech3.

Cannot access main hard drive in Repair Volume Structures 06 May 2016 21:41 #7196

It is clear from your screen capture that the device has a GUID partition map. The volume type must be Mac OS Extended (journaled) for the volume to be bootable. A volume with a volume format not used by Apple will not appear in the Volume Structures test.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Cannot access main hard drive in Repair Volume Structures 09 May 2016 11:44 #7198

Hmm. Okay. I bought the device with the OS already installed. Sound it sounds as though if I want to use the Volume Structures function, the only option would be to back up the data, reformat with Mac OS Extended (journaled), and then reinstall, yes?

Cannot access main hard drive in Repair Volume Structures 09 May 2016 12:33 #7199

Such an approach should solve the problem.

Before you go to that trouble, I would appreciate it if you would send a message to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. , including a link to this thread. Include the detailed description of the drive mechanism, in case we have had had other reports of problems with its volumes not showing up. Thank you.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Time to create page: 0.320 seconds