Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: ProToGo USB Flash Drives Will Not Boot

ProToGo USB Flash Drives Will Not Boot 15 Apr 2016 18:18 #7153

I have been unable to create a TechTool ProToGo USB flash drive that works. The computer gets to gray screen, but then the progress wheel spins for ages, until a circle with a bar through it appears where the Apple logo should be, in the center of the display. What's the magic to getting this to work? The Macs I have tested with this stick are: (1) MacPro3,1 Early 2008, Mac OS X 10.9.5, and (2) MacBookPro7,1 13" 2010, Mac OS X 10.6.8.

(Actually, I made one ProToGo stick that worked, but it was too small to allow me to add other utilities, so I erased it. That may have been before installing new hard drives and updating the OS on the MacPro; but, the MacBookPro has the same old OS on a new SSD, and also will not boot from any of the new attempts.)
The administrator has disabled public write access.

ProToGo USB Flash Drives Will Not Boot 15 Apr 2016 18:43 #7154

The system requirements for TechTool Pro 8 exclude Mac OS X 10.6.8:

Mac OS X 10.8 or greater, including OS X 10.11 'El Capitan'

Please send a message to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. . You will receive a reply by email, and may be asked to send in a log file from the failed attempts to boot. Thank you.

System software copied from a specific model may not work with other models, because of lack of support for the video hardware. The usual symptom of that is failure to get beyond the grey screen, as you have described. A Protogo device made with the system software on a particular model should be able to boot it, provided there is enough free space to complete the boot.

It is possible that the USB memory stick does not have enough free space to allow virtual memory swapfiles to be created. If I recall correctly, some earlier versions of OS X create swapfile0, the first one, at boot time, even if the file is not going to be used immediately. Later versions wait until swapfile0 is going to have data in it. then create it.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 15 Apr 2016 18:45 by micromattech3.

ProToGo USB Flash Drives Will Not Boot 15 Apr 2016 18:56 #7155

Thank you. That helps, but we're not out of the woods yet. It sounds as though the ProToGo stick made on the MacPro3,1 with Mac OS X 10.9 should boot that Mac, but it does not. This is a 32GB stick, so it should have plenty of room for any swap file.

How am I supposed to fix Mac OS X 10.6.8? Because of legacy software, I still need it. Is there an older version of TechTool Pro that should have been included with my purchase?

The MacBookPro7,1 will run 10.9, so one would think the ProToGo should boot it. Could Micromat find a way to add the necessary video drivers to existing sticks? That would be okay. Insert the stick, run the updater, and then the Mac would boot from that stick.

It sounds as though ProToGo is much less of a boon than I had hoped. It's much less useful if it is necessary to carry a pocket-full of USB drives, one for every combination of computer and OS. Maybe it was better in the days of repairing from CDs and DVDs. They took ages to boot, but carried many OSes, so one disk could boot anything.

ProToGo USB Flash Drives Will Not Boot 15 Apr 2016 19:09 #7156

Please send a message to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. , as suggested above. Now that we know that the USB memory stick is large enough, the log file should provide evidence for why the boot fails. You can request access to an older version of TechTool Pro that is compatible with OS X 10.6.8.

We cannot add video drivers, we can only copy them from the system software that people have.

The days of repairing from bootable DVDs were dependent upon Apple's efforts to keep up-to-date a developer's kit for making bootable DVDs. The kit has not been updated for years, and there is no reason to believe it will ever be updated. Many models do not even have an optical drive any more, and an external optical drive that does not have an Apple ROM in it would not be bootable.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

ProToGo USB Flash Drives Will Not Boot 23 Apr 2016 14:27 #7161

When I run Protogo, it only creates the Applications folder. No system files at all, so it's clearly not a boot drive. This worked great before, but now?

ProToGo USB Flash Drives Will Not Boot 23 Apr 2016 14:31 #7162

I have not seen a case in which only the Applications folder was created on a Protogo device. We will probably have to look at log files and permissions to see why this is happening. Please send a message to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. , including a link to tis thread. You will receive a reply by email on Monday. Thank you.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Time to create page: 0.318 seconds