Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: How to replace bad files uncovered by TTP 8.0 which are in use by system

How to replace bad files uncovered by TTP 8.0 which are in use by system 06 Apr 2016 15:46 #7143

Hullo,

The file structures test found a few bad files in the OS, but when I tried to replace the from Time Machine the system indicated that they were in use by the system and could not be modified or deleted.

I've got TTP on an eDrive, so I'm thinking I can somehow replace these main HD files while that system is inactive, by using the system mounted on the eDrive.

There must be a better idea, so what the best way to replace these files-in-use?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

How to replace bad files uncovered by TTP 8.0 which are in use by system 06 Apr 2016 17:05 #7144

There is no alternative to replacing files in use but to make them no longer in use. Booting from the eDrive, which has its own system software, should make the files on the original volume no longer in use.

Before you attempt to replace the files, recall that the fact that a file being flagged by the File Structures test means that it does not strictly meet published specifications for that type of file. It does not mean that the file is defective, or will not workproperly. The usual way to find out is to try to open the file with an application that should open it. Such an approach is unlikely to work with system software files, which may be used by processes you cannot launch yourself.

Unless you are currently having problems with the system software, there is no need to replace the files.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

How to replace bad files uncovered by TTP 8.0 which are in use by system 06 Apr 2016 17:41 #7145

Thanks....

It's not so much a TTP issue, but if I did want to cure these stray "imperfect" files, would it require a clean re-install of the OS?

These have never shown up before, and it seems like a few more are flagged every time I run the diagnostics.

How to replace bad files uncovered by TTP 8.0 which are in use by system 06 Apr 2016 18:01 #7146

The only approaches are to replace the files with ones that pass the test, and are in a backup, or to reinstall the system software.

I suggest that if you replace the files, by whatever method, you look at their creation and modification dates as soon as they are replaced, and make a note of them. If a later run of the File Structures test flags the files, check to see if they have been modified. If they have been, then the system software itself is making modifications that do not agree with published specifications.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Time to create page: 0.286 seconds