Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: Permission Problems after cloning to SSD

Permission Problems after cloning to SSD 04 Apr 2016 12:25 #7139

On my Late 2009 21.5" iMac I replaced the optical drive with a 500GB SSD. While booted from the original 500GB HD, I cloned the original HD to the new SSD. Now, when I boot from the new SSD, I suspect that I am having permissions issues, e.g. I cannot change the name of the hard drive ("The name **** can't be used. Try using a name with fewer characters...") and the file icon previews on the desktop are not remembered and are re-generated at each boot.

I'm wondering if, when I created the clone, if I should have been booted from an external eDrive and managed the clone from there? Would that have made any difference?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Permission Problems after cloning to SSD 04 Apr 2016 12:48 #7140

I doubt that being booted from another volume would have made any difference. Our cloning uses standard file copying tools that are part of the system software.

To solve the volume name issue, you could try booting from another volume, selecting the icon for the clone, typing Command I to bring up the Info box, and putting a check in the "Ignore permissions on this volume" box. Then see if you can change the name of the volume. Be sure to put the check back in the box when you are done. Permissions are needed on a volume intended to be bootable. Remember that TechTool Pro 8 has a repair permissions feature, which works even for El Capitan, despite Apple's having removed the feature from El Capitan's Disk Utility.

If the approach suggested above, does not work, I would suggest posting the problem at the Apple support forums.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Permission Problems after cloning to SSD 04 Apr 2016 13:55 #7141

The only other suggestion I can think of is to explore the possible regeneration of the Desktop file icons by performing a boot from the affected volume, and noting the precise time when the icons appear. Then open the Console application, located in /Applications/Utilities, and see if the All Messages log contains any reference to the icons slightly before and at the time of their eventual appearance. They may simply be slower to appear because something not icon-related is causing a delay, rather than their being regenerated.

It is always helpful to have on hand the All Messages log of a successful, completely normal boot from a given bootable volume, for comparison with the messages that arise when something unusual is noted.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Permission Problems after cloning to SSD 04 Apr 2016 17:14 #7142

Changing the username can lead to problems with permissions.

It is surprising that there are so few search hits for the error message you posted. This thread does not resolve the problem:

discussions.apple.com/thread/3964599
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Time to create page: 0.285 seconds