Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: Installing TTP 8.0 on different laptop HD

Installing TTP 8.0 on different laptop HD 29 Mar 2016 15:01 #7120

This may be too obvious but it remains a question....

I just bought the 8.0 upgrade and want to install it in place of the existing TTP 6.0 on a separate HD on my laptop, which I can then boot through option+restart for maintenance of my everyday-work HD.

The installation instructions want to put it in the applications folder of my everyday HD. The manual doesn't seem to address the matter of alternate installation locations.

Can you clarify how to install it the way I'd like?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Installing TTP 8.0 on different laptop HD 29 Mar 2016 15:15 #7121

You should be able to move the application to another location using the Finder. It must be on the active startup volume to run.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Installing TTP 8.0 on different laptop HD 29 Mar 2016 19:58 #7122

Thanks. I now notice there is plenty of discussion of the eDrive in the manual.

Still: As I work through what seem to be clear prompts, I've hit a problem.

Step 1: Remove the existing eDrive. Fine. This is a single laptop with the main HD using the default label "Macintosh HD"; after deleting the existing 6.0 eDrive, "macintosh HD" is the only option shown under the source and destination drop-downs.

Step 2: Create eDrive. Hit button. It whirls and churns, goes through the various steps, then indicates failed, and recommends a volume rebuild. I hit the rebuild button for the existing HD. I then reinitiate the eDrive creation process, from macintosh HD to macintosh HD, my only options, which repeatedly fail.

What to do? I then quit TTP 8, restarted, and the same thing happens. Could I perhaps uninstall and then re-install from the dmg I've kept?

Thanks

Installing TTP 8.0 on different laptop HD 29 Mar 2016 20:23 #7123

Never mind......I RESTARTED the computer and now installation of the eDrive seems to be proceeding apace about 20 minutes in. Should've known: when was the last piece of SW that did NOT need a restart.

Thanks

Installing TTP 8.0 on different laptop HD 29 Mar 2016 21:24 #7124

You are welcome, and thanks for the update.

It should not be necessary to restart the computer after removing an eDrive before you can create a new one. There may have been something wrong with one of the system software tools in RAM, a problem that a restart should solve.

I have noticed, by reading the All Messages log with the Console application (located in /Applications/Utilities), that in some cases the partition map of the drive containing the active startup volume gets updated during a restart.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 29 Mar 2016 21:29 by micromattech3.
Time to create page: 0.290 seconds