Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: Complete Optimization of the Startup Volume

Complete Optimization of the Startup Volume 26 Mar 2016 16:06 #7101

Okay, I was wondering how to go about rebuilding the startup volume on my iMac. To make certain everything is hunky-dory I figured I’d:

1. Rebuild the Startup Volume
2. Initiate File Optimization on the Startup Volume
3. Initiate Volume Optimization of the Startup Volume

What’s the best way to proceed?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Complete Optimization of the Startup Volume 26 Mar 2016 16:21 #7102

You have the three steps you posted in the right order. Before you begin, you should:

1. Make a complete backup of the startup volume, using a utility that can make bootable backups.

2. Run the Surface Scan test to check the device containing the startup volume for unremapped bad blocks, one of the two most common causes of failed optimizations.

3. Boot from another volume and run the Volume Structures test to check the usual startup volume for disk directory errors that exist before the start of the optimization, the other most common cause of failed optimizations.

4. When the optimization is finished, run the Volume Structures test again, to make sure the optimization did not introduce any disk directory errors.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Complete Optimization of the Startup Volume 01 Apr 2016 13:55 #7129

So basically, in order to optimize the startup volume I can startup this machine in target-disk-mode and connect it to my other machine, allow it to mount and optimize it?

Complete Optimization of the Startup Volume 01 Apr 2016 16:52 #7130

Yes. You can do the File Optimization (which should be done first) without changing to another starttup volume, and then do the Volume Optimization while booted in target disk mode.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Complete Optimization of the Startup Volume 02 Apr 2016 15:16 #7131

Can I load TechTool Protogo onto a thumb/jump drive and boot from that and run the optimizations? I have an external firewire drive that I might be able to use as well.

Complete Optimization of the Startup Volume 02 Apr 2016 16:45 #7132

You would have to create either an eDrive or a Protogo device on the USB memory stick to do that. For an eDrive, the minimum size is 32 GB. The USB memory stick should be formatted by Disk Utility to have a GUID partition map and a single Mac OS Extended (journaled) volume.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Complete Optimization of the Startup Volume 02 Apr 2016 17:53 #7133

What about protogo on my external firewire drive and then run the optimization from there?

Complete Optimization of the Startup Volume 02 Apr 2016 19:01 #7134

If you have an external FireWire drive that you can afford to erase entirely, then you can make a Protogo device on it. The Protogo installer completely reformats the entire device, removing all of the original volumes and their files.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Complete Optimization of the Startup Volume 03 Apr 2016 14:31 #7137

micromattech3 wrote:
The Protégé installer completely reformats the entire device, removing all of the original volumes and their files.

That wouldn't be a problem www.micromat.com/components/com_kunena/t.../emoticons/smile.png

Complete Optimization of the Startup Volume 03 Apr 2016 15:36 #7138

The program that makes use of a device you supply is called Protogo. Protégé was a FireWire USB memory stick that we offered while such devices were available. I might even be able to find mine.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Time to create page: 0.287 seconds