Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: TTP 8.0.3 & El Cap 10.11.1 Create Bootable Drive Fail

TTP 8.0.3 & El Cap 10.11.1 Create Bootable Drive Fail 23 Oct 2015 03:36 #6746

2014 15" MBP/r 2.8GHz/16GB
TTP 8.0.3 | OS X 10.11.1

Keep getting an error message when trying to create a TTP PTG diagnostic volume Mac OS X Basic on a 32GB SanDisk Flash Drive.Worked fine under Yosemite.

ERROR MESSAGE:
An error occurred while trying to partition your device and your device could not be partitioned. Please try again. If the problem persists contact technical support. (98)

I used Disk Utility to erase the disk which contained my Yosemite version of Mac OS X Basic diagnostic drive. GUID Partition Map is set correctly. Ran First Aid on the drive to update permissions. Can't think of what else to do to get this to work.

What's the solution, MicroMat?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

TTP 8.0.3 & El Cap 10.11.1 Create Bootable Drive Fail 23 Oct 2015 10:18 #6747

There is every reason to believe that TechTool Protogo will have to be revised in order to work with El Capitan, because the way Disk Utility works has been changed. Typically, after TechTool Pro gets an update to work with a new system software version, we can start on getting Protogo updated.

I would appreciate it if you would send a message to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. , including a link to this thread. Thank you.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

TTP 8.0.3 & El Cap 10.11.1 Create Bootable Drive Fail 27 Oct 2015 22:17 #6774

If you are still having this problem, please send a message to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. , including a link to this thread. Thank you.

The version of TechTool Protogo that comes with TechTool Pro 8.0.3 is fully compatible with TechTool Pro 8.0.3 and with El Capitan. Be sure to launch TechTool Protogo from within TechTool Pro 8.0.3 (in the Mode menu, choose TechTool Protogo, or type Command 4 when TechTool Pro is the active application). You might have launched an older, stand-alone version of TechTool Protogo.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

TTP 8.0.3 & El Cap 10.11.1 Create Bootable Drive Fail 31 Oct 2015 13:26 #6779

I have recently purchased TTP 8.03 and have tried unsuccessfully to create a Mac OS X Basic flash drive with Protogo. I get a successful confirmation at the end of the process but when booting up through the flash drive it appears to go through the loading process but after about 15 minutes all I get is a white screen and then my iMac freezes. I have to do a hard shutdown to be able to get back to my original startup. I am thinking that Protogo 5.0.3 is just not compatible with El Capitan 10.11.1.
HELP!!

TTP 8.0.3 & El Cap 10.11.1 Create Bootable Drive Fail 31 Oct 2015 14:24 #6781

Try creating a new administrative account and creating the Protogo device while logged in with that account, in case there is a problem with the way the usual account was copied to the device. If that does not work, please send a message to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. , including a link to this thread. You will receive a reply by email on Monday, and may be asked to send in an Apple System Information report, and some log files. Please leave the files on the Protogo device, even if you cannot get it to work. The logs on the device may indicate why the boot does not complete. Thank you.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

TTP 8.0.3 & El Cap 10.11.1 Create Bootable Drive Fail 01 Nov 2015 16:13 #6789

I too have this exact problem. Following micromattech3's advice, I will report this to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. referring to this thread.

TTP 8.0.3 & El Cap 10.11.1 Create Bootable Drive Fail 01 Nov 2015 16:41 #6790

Thanks for your cooperation.

People who have older installations of Protogo that were created when it was sold separately from TechTool Pro should be careful to launch Protogo from within the TechTool Pro 8.0.3 application (in the Mode menu of TechTool Pro). That should launch a copy of Protogo 5.0.3 that is within the TechTool Pro 8.0.3 application package. Earlier versions of Protogo cannot make a device that is bootable with El Capitan.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

TTP 8.0.3 & El Cap 10.11.1 Create Bootable Drive Fail 01 Nov 2015 16:49 #6791

Thanks for your prompt response, micromattech3! Yes, I was aware of this and even deleted the old Protogo files. I also tried using a different admin account. Didn't help.

TTP 8.0.3 & El Cap 10.11.1 Create Bootable Drive Fail 01 Nov 2015 16:52 #6792

You are welcome, and thanks for letting us know that you were using Protogo 5.0.3.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

TTP 8.0.3 & El Cap 10.11.1 Create Bootable Drive Fail 02 Nov 2015 00:17 #6793

Finally successful.
Once again I went back in and created a new Administrator user and opened TTP8 and then went to Protogo 5.0.3.
I made my own profile by actually duplicating the Mac OS X Basic but I titled it with my new Admin user name I created. (Not sure if that had any thing to do with the successful output though.)
Then I had the flash drive formatted and it accomplished all that was needed. I can now boot up with my new Admin User name when the prompt appears and TTP8 and Protogo 5.0.3 are available.I did a successful file and volume optimization with no issues at all.
Lastly I have to add that I switched from a Kingston 16 gig flash drive to a San Disk Cruzer 16 gig. That may have made a big difference in my opinion but I need professional feedback on that conclusion.
Bottom line....it worked!

TTP 8.0.3 & El Cap 10.11.1 Create Bootable Drive Fail 02 Nov 2015 00:44 #6794

Thanks for letting us know that you have successfully made a Protogo device on your new San Disk Cruzer 16 GB.

I doubt that the new name for the profile had an effect on the outcome. The reason that making a new administrative account can help is that in some cases, for the usual administrative user account, there are files in folders that are copied to the Protogo device that are not expected to be there, and which take up so much space on the Protogo device that the operating system cannot make virtual memory swapfiles.

USB memory sticks that meet the USB 2.0 standard can differ by a factor of ten in how fast their memory works. Some users whose computers have only USB 2 have found that buying a USB 3 memory stick can be worth it, just because the memory itself is faster. This is one area in which online reviews and comments can be helpful.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
The following user(s) said Thank You: b_paris

TTP 8.0.3 & El Cap 10.11.1 Create Bootable Drive Fail 02 Nov 2015 14:15 #6795

Lastly, now that I have the current El Capitan 10.10.1 and TTP 8 on the flash drive I know at some point they will have to be updated. Can that only be done when the user is logged into the Flash drive that has the files on it to be updated? I am a little confused on that process but want to keep the OS and TTP compatible at all times.

TTP 8.0.3 & El Cap 10.11.1 Create Bootable Drive Fail 02 Nov 2015 15:19 #6796

You are welcome.

You can update the copy of TechTool Pro on a Protogo device by booting from the device and using the "Check for Update" feature in the TechTool Pro application.

The system software on any Protogo device made with a profile other than "Full Copy" is a subset of OS X, and cannot be updated with an updater application from Apple or via Software Update or the App Store, because the updating process may fail if it does not find a file it expects to find. The solution is to update the system software on your usual startup volume, and then create a new Protogo device.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
The following user(s) said Thank You: b_paris

TTP 8.0.3 & El Cap 10.11.1 Create Bootable Drive Fail 02 Nov 2015 15:35 #6797

Makes perfect sense. Thanks again micromattech3.

TTP 8.0.3 & El Cap 10.11.1 Create Bootable Drive Fail 02 Nov 2015 15:54 #6798

You are welcome.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

TTP 8.0.3 & El Cap 10.11.1 Create Bootable Drive Fail 07 Nov 2015 15:50 #6814

I am using OS 10.10.5. Tech tool pro and protogo worked fine on all my computers. After allowing the recommended updates protogo fails on all computers. The failure is listed below.

An error occurred while trying to configure your device. Please try again. If the problem persists contact technical support.

I try with multiple drives and on multiple computers and have the same issue.

I have tried all remedies suggested here except creating a new user profile.

If creating a new user profile is necessary then your product is defective beyond any reasonable usability.

TTP 8.0.3 & El Cap 10.11.1 Create Bootable Drive Fail 07 Nov 2015 16:31 #6815

Make sure you are using Protogo from within the TechTool Pro 8.0.3 application (choose "TechTool Protogo from the Mode menu in TechTool Pro, or type Command 4 when TechTool Pro is the frontmost application). Running the TechTool Pro updater does not update an earlier, stand-alone version of Protogo.

You may have gotten a bad update from TechTool Pro 8.0.2 to 8.0.3. You can download the TechTool Pro 8.0.3 installer from the Available Downloads, at the bottom of your My Account page, linked above.

If reinstalling TechTool Pro 8.0.3 using the installer does not work, please send a message to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. , including a link to this thread. You will receive a reply by email in Monday, and may be asked to send in some log files that may provide the programmer with details about why the process failed. Thank you.

Posting #6794 explains why a new user account is sometimes needed when the process of creating a Protogo device fails at a later stage. It is not indicative of a defect in Protogo, but the fact that there are files in locations in the user account that should not be there, files that consume needed space on the Protogo device. Whether they cause a failure when the user attempts to boot from the device depends on the size of the device.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

TTP 8.0.3 & El Cap 10.11.1 Create Bootable Drive Fail 10 May 2016 12:41 #7201

I just purchased TTP 8.0.3 with PTG 5.0.3 today and am getting the same error message with three different flash drives. I'm trying to install the 2.88GB profile on 8GB and 16GB drives. I have tried logging into a different and little-used account, but no joy. Running on Mac OS X 10.11.4.

TTP 8.0.3 & El Cap 10.11.1 Create Bootable Drive Fail 10 May 2016 13:40 #7202

The flash drives should be reformatted by the Protogo software. It might be helpful to use Disk Utility to reformat the flash drive, giving it a GUID partition map and a single Mac OS Extended (journaled) volume.

If reformatting does not allow the Protogo device to be created, please send a message to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. , including a link to this thread. You will receive a reply by email, and may be asked to send in an Apple System Information report and some log files. Thank you.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Time to create page: 0.280 seconds