Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: Insufficient space to rebuild directory

Insufficient space to rebuild directory 07 Aug 2015 13:24 #6591

Even though I have 10% freespace on my drive, when I try to rebuild directory I get the message 'insufficient space' to continue' and the process quits. Didn't have this problem with v7 - although I did with v6. Now it is back again with v8. I made a bootable ProtoGo drive hoping that would help, but same error.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Insufficient space to rebuild directory 07 Aug 2015 13:59 #6592

The recurrence of the problem does not depend on which version of TechTool Pro you are using, but on the fact that the volume does not have enough disk space that is both free and contiguous (all in one piece) to allow the new disk directory files (the Catalog B-Tree and the Extents B-Tree) to be written in one piece each.

To create more disk space that is both free and contiguous, one would normally use the disk optimizer, but that should not be done if the reason you are trying to rebuild the disk directory is that it has errors in it. The only other option would be to copy the files to another volume, and then copy them back again after erasing the source volume:

Optimize Using the Cloning Tool

In general, you should not have less than 15% free space on a volume. If you do, it is more likely that the disk directory will not be able to be rebuilt, and if the volume is a bootable one, it is more likely that virtual memory swapfiles will be fragmented, either when they are created or later, which reduces performance.

It is possible that Disk Utility could repair the disk directory by changing only the disk directory entries that need to be changed, rather than writing a new directory, which always requires that the Catalog B-Tree and Extents B-Tree be in one piece each when they are created.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Insufficient space to rebuild directory 17 Sep 2015 09:34 #6644

Hello!

I have similar question.
No less than 15% is required for rebuilding, that sounds good.

But, in my case,
free space = 60GB, used space=190GB , free space percentage = 24%,
but TTP8 complains as it is not sufficient workspace for rebuilding.
then several files are copied to the external storage, and becomes
free space = 80GB, used space=170GB , free space percentage = 32%,
TTP8 performs rebuilding without any complain.

I can not believe the limit for rebuilding is as low as 15%.
What is the reality?

Following is my situation;
hardware : MacBookAir 2011mid - 11" (internal storage = 251GB, RAM = 4GB)
TTP8 : version 8.0.2

Insufficient space to rebuild directory 17 Sep 2015 10:30 #6645

UPDATE; May 26, 2016:

The correct interpretation of the "insufficient workspace to continue" error message is that there is not enough free, contiguous disk space on the volume to allow the new Catalog B-Tree and Extents B-Tree disk directory files to be written in a single piece (called an "extent") each. The Volume Rebuild tool is 64-bit and does not have a 4 GB memory limit.

The exact wording of the error message is important. The thread titled Volume Rebuild Failed - insufficient work space error refers to a case in which the problem is not one of drive space, but of the amount of RAM that can be used by one process:

"The problem is one that rarely occurs, the 4 GB limit on the amount of RAM that the Volume Rebuild tool is allowed to use by the operating system. If the sum of the sizes of the Catalog B-Tree and Extents B-Tree is greater than 4 GB, the Volume Rebuild tool cannot be used."

In your case, it appears that the error message is referring to disk space. In such a case, it is not the total amount of free space in terms of percentage of the volume that is important, but the fact that the new directory files, the Catalog B-Tree and the Extents B-Tree, must each be written to a piece of disk space that is both free and contiguous (all in one piece). By copying some files to the external volume and then presumably deleting them from the original volume, you happened to create enough disk space that was both free and contiguous for the new Catalog B-Tree and Extents B-Tree files to be written.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 25 May 2016 21:01 by micromattech3.

Insufficient space to rebuild directory 03 Feb 2016 14:31 #7018

I have what seems to be a very similar problem. I have Techtool Pro 8 Version 8.0.3 (1967-9a22b3c) on a iMac (27-inch, Late 2013), 3.5 GHz Intel Core i7, & 32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3. I have a 3 TB hard drive with 1.64 TB free space. Using my eDrive Volume Rebuild, I get the the following error message,"Rebuild Error Encountered, Insufficient Workspace to Continue." Any suggestions for how I may resolve this problem would be greatly appreciated?

Insufficient space to rebuild directory 03 Feb 2016 15:14 #7019

UPDATE; May 26, 2016:

<b>The correct interpretation of the "insufficient workspace to continue" error message is that there is not enough free, contiguous disk space on the volume to allow the new Catalog B-Tree and Extents B-Tree disk directory files to be written in a single piece (called an "extent") each.

The Volume Rebuild tool is 64-bit and does not have a 4 GB memory limit.</b>Since the error message is exactly the same as the one in posting #6645 (the "insufficient workspace error) there is no way to use the Volume Rebuild tool on that volume because of the 4 GB of RAM memory limit imposed by the operating system on a single process.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 25 May 2016 21:01 by micromattech3.

Insufficient space to rebuild directory 30 Jun 2016 03:27 #7314

I'm using the latest TechTools 8 with Protégé. Installed a minimum system on a clean 1TB external drive. I'm trying to Volume Rebuild a 750GB SSD that's 95% full, hence the large external drive. Why won't it let me rebuild with such a large drive attached?? Thank you. Frank

Insufficient space to rebuild directory 30 Jun 2016 10:18 #7316

The correct interpretation of the "insufficient workspace to continue" error message is that there is not enough free, contiguous disk space on the volume to allow the new Catalog B-Tree and Extents B-Tree disk directory files to be written in a single piece (called an "extent") each.

The volume referred to as having not enough free, contiguous disk space is the volume that is to be rebuilt, the one that is 95% full. The size of the active boot volume from which TechTool Pro is being run does not matter. The workaround is in message #6592 in this thread.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Time to create page: 0.283 seconds