Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: Directory Backup Failing

Directory Backup Failing 24 Jun 2015 05:04 #6502

I have TechTool Protection Preference Pane 8.02 installed on a new MacBook Pro (with a 1 TB SSD and running 10.10.4). In the "Directory Backup" tab I select the computer's hard drive, but it is not backing up its directory; there's none listed for "Latest" or "Previous." When I click "Backup Now," a backup file appears in Library / Application Support / Tech Tool Protection / [Hard Drive Name] named "DirectoryBackup 2015-06-23-21-56-06". It gets bigger and bigger, to almost 2.3 Gig, and then it vanishes! The available size noted at the bottom of a finder window bounces back to the size before I click "Backup Now."

There is another file in that folder, and it remains even after the other file is created and still after it vanishes: "DirectoryBackup (OFF)". I've tried deleting that file, but it comes right back. I've turned Directory Backup Off and then On again, and I've set preferences for that folder and its contents. The preferences automatically set for the ephemeral file are:
System: Read & Write"
Admin "Read Only"
Everyone "No access"

Any idea what's happening? I know others are complaining about the size of these backup files, but I can't even get one to stick around.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Directory Backup Failing 24 Jun 2015 10:27 #6503

Thanks for your clear and detailed report.

Please repair permissions using Disk Utility, and then reinstall TechTool Pro 8.0.2. Launch the application, and allow it to update the TechTool Protection system preferences pane. Configure the features found there, and then test the Directory Backup feature using the Backup Now button.

If Directory Backup continues to malfunction, please send a message to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. , including a link to this thread. You will receive a reply by email, and may be asked to send in an Apple System Information report, and some log files. Thank you.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Directory Backup Failing 24 Jun 2015 10:54 #6504

If repairing permissions and reinstalling TechTool Pro by running the installer does not solve the problem, you could try uninstalling the program using the Customize button in the installer, then reinstalling it. Such an approach will require re-entering your serial number when you launch the application, and completely re-entering the data in the TechTool Protection system preferences pane. I suggest that you make a screen capture of the E-mail Alerts pane before you uninstall the program, to document its settings.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Directory Backup Failing 24 Jun 2015 12:43 #6505

Please run the Surface Scan to check the drive for unremapped bad blocks.

There was one rare case (my own) in which Directory Backup could not read one of the sectors of the disk directory, because the sector was bad. In my case, when I opened the Console application (located in /Applications/Utilities) and checked the All Messages log, there was an input/output error (i/o error) at the time when Directory Backup was attempting to make its backup.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Directory Backup Failing 21 Jan 2016 12:22 #6999

TechTool Pro -> TechTool Protection -> Directory Backup.

Just a couple of suggestions. The software that creates multiple backups, such as Time Machine, should have accompanying software to maintain the file. Tasks like deleting all files before a date...

At least the software developer should provide instructions for file maintenance.

davidsonjm

Directory Backup Failing 21 Jan 2016 13:30 #7000

The Directory Backup feature of TechTool Pro backs up the disk directory of a volume in a proprietary format that can be used by TechTool Pro to recover files. It does not back up files themselves.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Directory Backup Failing 27 Mar 2016 17:15 #7107

I have a similar condition, but more involved. Running TT8.03 under OS X 10.11.3, and now .4:
27" iMac with 1TB SSD, and a 3TB partitioned drive (USB3) with 4 partitions. TT Protection is set to back up directories from all drives to both the internal SSD, and one partition of the outboard drive. Only a file for the Internal Hard Drive gets written. The control panel indicates no current or previous backups for the attached drives. Console messages listed on the back-up command state:
3/27/16 10:10:16.000 AM kernel[0]: disk1s3: alignment error.
3/27/16 10:10:17.000 AM kernel[0]: disk1s2: alignment error.
3/27/16 10:10:18.000 AM kernel[0]: disk1s4: alignment error.
3/27/16 10:10:19.000 AM kernel[0]: disk1s5: alignment error.
for the external devices, though all work perfectly. All external drives are set to Ignore ownership.
Since there is no longer a utility to "fix permissions" in the latest versions of Disk Utility, do you have any other recommendations?

Directory Backup Failing 27 Mar 2016 17:30 #7108

TechTool Pro 8.0.3 has a Disk Permissions feature, which makes use of a system software tool that is still part of the system software, despite Apple's having removed Repair Permissions from Disk Utility.

Please reinstall TechTool Pro, launch the application, and reconfigure the TechTool Protection system preferences pane, as described above. If that does not allow the Directory Backup feature to work properly, please send a message, including a link to this thread and the except from the Console log, to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. . You will receive a reply by email on Monday. Thank you.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Directory Backup Failing 27 Mar 2016 18:09 #7109

Reinstalled TT8 from the 8.01 Upgrade disc. Updated application and Protection tool to 8.03 via the Check for Updates utility in the application. Fixed permissions on the Internal drive using TT8.03 utility:
Console gave the following comments at the completion of the fix:

3/27/16 10:55:53.000 AM kernel[0]: Sandbox: repair_packages(2428) System Policy: deny(1) file-write-owner /usr/share/zoneinfo/America/Los_Angeles
3/27/16 10:55:53.000 AM kernel[0]: Sandbox: repair_packages(2428) System Policy: deny(1) file-write-mode /usr/share/zoneinfo/America/Los_Angeles
3/27/16 10:55:53.000 AM kernel[0]: Sandbox: repair_packages(2428) System Policy: deny(1) file-write-owner /usr/share/zoneinfo/US/Pacific
3/27/16 10:55:53.000 AM kernel[0]: Sandbox: repair_packages(2428) System Policy: deny(1) file-write-mode /usr/share/zoneinfo/US/Pacific
3/27/16 10:55:53.000 AM kernel[0]: Sandbox: repair_packages(2428) System Policy: deny(1) file-write-owner /usr/share/zoneinfo/US/Pacific-New
3/27/16 10:55:53.000 AM kernel[0]: Sandbox: repair_packages(2428) System Policy: deny(1) file-write-mode /usr/share/zoneinfo/US/Pacific-New

Ran Protection Tool again:
3/27/16 10:57:27.224 AM Console[790]: Marker - Mar 27, 2016, 10:57:27 AM
3/27/16 10:59:03.000 AM kernel[0]: disk1s4: alignment error.
3/27/16 10:59:05.000 AM kernel[0]: disk1s2: alignment error.
3/27/16 10:59:06.000 AM kernel[0]: disk1s3: alignment error.
3/27/16 10:59:07.000 AM kernel[0]: disk1s5: alignment error.

Will send an email to help@ as indicated. Thank you.

Directory Backup Failing 27 Mar 2016 18:16 #7110

You are welcome, and thanks for the update.

In case the problem is with the file that records which disk directories are to be backed up and to where, you could try uninstalling the program using the Customize button in the installer, and then reinstalling it. You will need your password, and I would suggest making a screen capture of how the email alerts are set up, before uninstalling the program.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Directory Backup Failing 27 Mar 2016 18:28 #7111

I avoided that option since, having used TT for many years, I only have "upg" disc images for the latest versions. I don't have a stand-along installer for any of the last-few-years' versions, and am afraid that, once uninstalled, the upgrade installers won't install the program if they don't find a current installation.
Is that an accurate fear?

Directory Backup Failing 27 Mar 2016 18:47 #7112

If you bought TechTool Pro 8 in our online store, you can download the installer from the Available Downloads at the bottom of the My Account page, linked above. It should already be registered. If you bought the program elsewhere, and you have your serial number, use it to register the program, and then reload the My Account page. The installer should appear.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Directory Backup Failing 27 Mar 2016 18:55 #7113

Perfect! Thank you for that info.
I'll uninstall and reinstall using the new 8.03 installer and report the results.
Again, thanks.
-SS-

Directory Backup Failing 27 Mar 2016 19:03 #7114

You are welcome.

If the installer is not already showing in Available Downloads, click the Account Information link at the top of the My Account page. After you register TechTool Pro 8, go back to the My Account page, and the installer should appear in Available Downloads at the bottom of the page.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 27 Mar 2016 19:03 by micromattech3.

Directory Backup Failing 27 Mar 2016 21:13 #7115

Uninstall and reinstall went well.
Backup Now was dimmed until I turned off the option, and then turned it back on.
All 5 volumes showed up, but the backup of the external drives failed again with Alignment Errors.
Hmmmm.
-SS-

Directory Backup Failing 27 Mar 2016 21:27 #7116

In an effort to try to narrow this down a bit, I just tried backing up the directory of a partitioned volume buried deep in a G-Drive 8TB (2x4TB) array, partitioned as individual volumes. Worked as advertised. So, the G-Drive volumes don't exhibit the problem. WD My Passport Drives fail reliably.
The WD drive is fresh out-of-the-box, formatted with Apple's Disk Utility, and partitioned with the same.
I think I'm out of clues. It already has multiple volume and file backups on it, and I'd prefer not to go through that process again. The first passes took 7 hours overnight.
-SS-

Directory Backup Failing 27 Mar 2016 21:56 #7119

The only other suggestion I have is that you check to see if there is a firmware update for the WD Passport drive.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Time to create page: 0.311 seconds