Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: What to do about test results

What to do about test results 09 Jun 2015 02:10 #6474

TTP8 ran full suite of tests on computer hard drive and an external Time Machine back up drive. Eight tests were successful, with the File Structures test reporting 16 suspected files on the computer and 1829 on the Time Machine (3 years of backups).

The file structure problems are concerning, particularly those in TM and I'm undecided as to what to do and would appreciate some comment. One approach would be to try correcting the computer files and ignore the TM. Once the computer files are corrected, a new backup could be made to a reformatted TM or other external drive.

Any thoughts, please
The administrator has disabled public write access.

What to do about test results 09 Jun 2015 02:50 #6475

Please see the recent thread What To Do In Response To File Structure Errors.

We recommend that you not run the File Structures test on the Time Machine volume, because the files have presumably already been checked when their source volumes were examined by the test.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

What to do about test results 22 Sep 2016 16:53 #7584

micromattech3 wrote:

We recommend that you not run the File Structures test on the Time Machine volume, because the files have presumably already been checked when their source volumes were examined by the test.

Can you please clarify that, it doesn't make sense to me - not running file structure test on TM volume because files have been checked on source volume?

Thx

What to do about test results 22 Sep 2016 17:05 #7586

The files that are on the Time Machine volume were copied to it because the files are on a volume that was backed up by the Time Machine process. Presumably, you ran the File Structures test to check the files on the original volumes that get backed up by Time Machine. The copy of the file on the Time Machine volume is identical to the one on the original volume, the source volume. So, there is no point in checking both the original file and the copy on the Time Machine volume.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Time to create page: 0.278 seconds