Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: When optimising files and a volume, does TTP group files within packages together on the disk?

When optimising files and a volume, does TTP group files within packages together on the disk? 19 Nov 2018 15:13 #10373

This thought just occurred to me as I was getting ready to do my annual Winter drive clearout and maintenance: I run a lot of applications which create very large package files, which are essentially directories which behave like single files. A common example of this kind of file would be a Garageband .band project, which is actually a folder with MP3s and audio samples inside, but which Finder treats as a single file unless you tell it to show you the contents, in which case it opens like a folder.

I'm just wondering, when a volume is optimised, will each file inside such a package be stored on nearby blocks on the disk? So if for example it contains five audio files of 100mb each, does each one of these get defragmented individually, but stored randomly in different sectors of the disk - or does Techtool realise that for speed of opening, files within packages need to be stored nearby? It's a slightly complicated one since essentially you have files within files - wherein each individual file needs to be contiguous, but also ideally the package itself is also contiguous and not fragmented by having different files within it stored in different areas.

Does anyone know how exactly Techtool Pro handles these sorts of quasi directory, quasi file entities?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

When optimising files and a volume, does TTP group files within packages together on the disk? 19 Nov 2018 15:41 #10374

I will ask the beta administrator for TechTool Pro about this interesting question, but I suspect that attempting to keep the files that make up a package together on a rotational drive would make the optimization considerably more complex, and slower.

With a modern rotational drive, having the files that make up a package not together on the disk should not make much of a performance difference. For quite some time, the purpose of optimizing a rotational drive has not been greater performance, but a simplification of the disk directory(useful for data recovery), and making the free space contiguous. Having sufficient free space that is contiguous (all in one piece) does affect performance, because if virtual memory swapfiles are fragmented, performance suffers greatly. Early versions of OS X would go into a kernel panic if they could not create a virtual memory swapfile in a single piece (called an "extent").
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

When optimising files and a volume, does TTP group files within packages together on the disk? 19 Nov 2018 17:05 #10375

The beta administrator for TechTool Pro is in agreement with my suspicions.

I hope that if you are having performance problems with audio projects, you are not still using a computer that can run TechTool Pro 7.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

When optimising files and a volume, does TTP group files within packages together on the disk? 20 Nov 2018 17:22 #10376

Thank you for taking the time to reply! I've always found the performance increases after running the full suite of TTP tools spectacular anyway, so this was just curiosity more than a complaint or worry.

As far as using TTP 7, I have two partitions and I only use 7 for my Mountain Lion partition. The other partition is kept up to date, and is much bigger so rarely needs drive maintenance anyway - unfortunately I still have many plugins which do not support 64-bit audio hosts, and running older, 32-bit apps causes fewer headaches on ML than on the latest versions of OS X. I only use it when I have to, but when I do, I like to keep it running as far as is feasibly possible even with an out of date OS.

When optimising files and a volume, does TTP group files within packages together on the disk? 20 Nov 2018 17:32 #10377

You are welcome, and thanks for explaining why you still have a bootable volume with TechTool Pro 7 on it. I still have a G4 Cube with Tiger, just in case my iMac (mid-2010) suddenly fails. The monitor: a Sony TV set.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Time to create page: 0.358 seconds