Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: volume rebuild discrepancy on external HD

volume rebuild discrepancy on external HD 12 Jan 2017 00:02 #8007

System is yosemite 10.10.5, disc is a fairly new WD 1TB passport

The symptoms are: when manually editing folders, the finder hangs after a while. Sometimes it recovers, sometimes it doesn't.

On running volume rebuild there is always a discrepancy in the figures - so far always favourable. Today I have run it 3 times on the same drive with a decent interval between and each time it has come up with a different discrepancy.

After a rebuild the finder appears to work normally for a while, but goes downhill until it has long lags with spinning ball, or simply stops responding. The problem only affects this one disc.

I am not bothered about reinitialising the disc - or even binning it if necessary, so my question is to ask if someone has an idea why there should always be a discrepancy and what might be causing it. Faulty drive?

Thanks
Andrew
The administrator has disabled public write access.

volume rebuild discrepancy on external HD 12 Jan 2017 00:27 #8008

Please send a screen capture of the Technical Comparison window of the Volume Rebuild tool to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. , including a link to this thread. You will receive a reply by email (probably tomorrow) and may be asked to send in some additional information, such as an Apple System Information report.

In the meantime, try running the Surface Scan to check the drive for unremapped bad blocks, and if it is supported, run the S.M.A.R.T. test. Thank you.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Time to create page: 0.279 seconds