Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: Control number of Directory Backups?

Control number of Directory Backups? 19 Oct 2013 18:53 #4773

Is there any way ( or consider as an added feature ) to limit the number of Directory Backups?

Some of these are 8+ Gig, and as I'm running off a SSD ( 128GB in my case ), all I really want is to control the number of backups ( as a maximum, which would then recycle each one in time when it hits the max # ) or perhaps just have the Control Panel allow one backup and overwrite it or update it at the specified hour....

I now have them being made to a separate HDD, which solves ( for a while ) the space issue, but more control would be appreciated...

just askin'...

jeff
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Control number of Directory Backups? 19 Oct 2013 19:25 #4774

There should be three directory backups for each protected volume, in /Library/Application Support/TechTool Protection.

If you have only the most recent directory backup, you are not being well-served by the Protection feature, because you might have deleted a file, a new directory backup not containing that file may have been created, and then even if the file has not been overwritten, you would not have a directory backup capable of recovering the file.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Control number of Directory Backups? 21 Oct 2013 01:28 #4784

So what you are saying is that there is a maximum of only three (3) backups *ever* located in the folder of that drive? Not what I would like, but I can live with it, now that Im moving them off the boot drive...

Thanks!,

jeff

Control number of Directory Backups? 21 Oct 2013 01:44 #4785

Yes. The fact that there are eventually three backups is mentioned in the TechTool Pro manual. From

Directory Backup[url]:

"The Latest and Previous fields display the dates of the last two directory backups (if present) for the currently selected volume. TechTool Protection saves up to three directory backups per volume. When newer directory backups are done, the oldest is deleted."

The purpose of the Protection feature is to allow you to attempt to recover files from volumes with irreparable directory damage, so having a copy of the directory backup file on a different volume, preferably on a different device, is a good strategy.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Control number of Directory Backups? 21 Oct 2013 02:07 #4786

Thanks, again!

jeff

Control number of Directory Backups? 21 Oct 2013 11:38 #4787

You are welcome.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Control number of Directory Backups? 26 Sep 2017 18:01 #8635

How can I move the backups off of HD1, my small solid state disk? I can add a place for backups, but not remove the HD1 location.

Control number of Directory Backups? 26 Sep 2017 18:18 #8636

The latest versions of TechTool Pro, 9.5.2 and 9.5.3 are supposed to work as follows: You choose to back up the directory to its own volume, then choose a second location, preferably on another drive. Then you can uncheck the first volume. You cannot do that with TechTool Pro 7, because it must write the backup of the directory to the volume itself before it copies the backup of the directory to a different volume.

If you are using TechTool Pro 9.5.3, and simply mistakenly posted in the TechTool Pro 7 folder, please send a message to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. . Thank you.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Control number of Directory Backups? 26 Sep 2017 18:44 #8637

The directory data for Solid State Drives cannot be backed up because data on SSD’s is rewritten as soon as it is deleted through TRIM. With the update to TechTool Pro 8.0.4 we are showing SSD’s as unavailable because recovering data from those drives wouldn’t be possible. The same is true for trash history for solid state drives.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 26 Sep 2017 23:50 by micromattech3.

Control number of Directory Backups? 26 Sep 2017 18:50 #8638

No. I want to move the directory backups for my non-solid state drives to one of those drives. I am running out of room on my SSD, and the directory backups are huge. How do I remove HD1rom the backup locations in the System Settings for TechToolPro?

Control number of Directory Backups? 26 Sep 2017 19:12 #8640

You should not be making any backups of the disk directory of a solid state drive.

For rotational drives, using TechTool Pro 7, if you want to add a second location for the directory backup, you can, but you cannot opt out of having the directory backup for a given volume be written to that volume. The ability to opt out is in TechTool Pro 9.5.2 and 9.5.3.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Control number of Directory Backups? 26 Sep 2017 19:13 #8641

I am using 9.53. I reposted this on that forum. I got here by googling. It is still putting all my backups on HD1

Control number of Directory Backups? 26 Sep 2017 19:15 #8643

Please see the answer in the TechTool Pro 9.5.3 forum. Thank you.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Time to create page: 0.313 seconds