Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: FUSION DRIVE

FUSION DRIVE 23 Jul 2013 00:56 #4400

does tech tool pro 7 work with mac's fusion drives?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

FUSION DRIVE 23 Jul 2013 01:42 #4401

You can run the Tests on the Fusion drive, but do not use the Tools to modify it. The Fusion drive's volume cannot be split to create an eDrive.

Fusion Drive Compatibility

Update: February 2, 2017. Please see this message:

www.micromat.com/component/kunena/techto...71-fusion-drive#8060
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 02 Feb 2017 20:54 by micromattech3.

FUSION DRIVE 26 Jul 2013 05:03 #4405

So, that’s a ‘No’ then is it?

FUSION DRIVE 26 Jul 2013 10:36 #4409

A "no" to the Tools and a "yes" to the tests.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

FUSION DRIVE 26 Jul 2013 11:31 #4410

Many thanks for the clarification. I’ve been a long time user of Techtools through it’s different versions. Now though it seems it doesn’t offer as much as it once did. I no longer feel there is too much to be gained form simply testing things out. Nowadays I rely on a variety of backup systems and strategies to make me feel ‘safe’ and which can cope with pretty much anything.

FUSION DRIVE 26 Jul 2013 12:53 #4412

Providing thoroughly-tested support for a new drive technology takes time.

No testing or repair utility has ever been marketed as a substitute for backups. Without such products, you could be backing up your files to a drive that is developing bad blocks or has disk directory errors without your knowing it.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

FUSION DRIVE 26 Jul 2013 14:01 #4414

Exactly, so, we now take multiple generations of backups using different media including online, RAID and off line media. Sadly, you do not appear to flag the limitations of your software ie to work with FUSION drives. to potential purchasers.

FUSION DRIVE 26 Jul 2013 14:30 #4415

I have forwarded your suggestion.

Regarding backups, you might find this MacInTouch discussion of interest:

Archival Issues
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 26 Jul 2013 14:31 by micromattech3.

FUSION DRIVE 05 Aug 2013 18:17 #4449

On my iMac 1TB fusion drive using TTP 7: when memory testing RAM I get a note above the progress bar that says " Testing 10.71 GB of 16 GB" Does this mean that only a portion of the RAM is being tested? Also as part of memory testing the SPD data gives the SIMM data as 8GB in each of two slots, but that info is in RED. Is the red color meant to indicate something beyond the size of the RAM? see attachments

Thanks
Attachments:

FUSION DRIVE 05 Aug 2013 18:33 #4450

No software-based RAM tester can test the RAM that is used by the system software and the tester itself, because that RAM cannot be written to (it is described as "wired"). The best way to run the RAM test is after a restart with as few processes open as possible.

The red color is intended to flag a mismatch in the RAM modules, but aside from the serial number, your RAM module specs appear to match precisely, and of course the serial number is not considered when comparing the RAM module.

Please send your screen capture of the RAM test and the link to this thread to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. . We would like to investigate why the red color appeared. Thank you.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

FUSION DRIVE 02 Feb 2017 16:50 #8052

:ohmy:

I messed up I think. I didn't know this and I tried creating an e-Drive on my iMac late-2012/Yosemite after a major crash with Photoshop using up tons of virtual memory and freezing the computer.

The edrive failed after a while but since then I've been having major problems although I'm not sure if it's the crash or the edrive that caused the problem.

Here is a list of what's happening :

1. Annoying message : "Unapproved caller. SecurityAgent may only be invoked by Apple software" occasionally pops up.

2. Disk Utility repairs everything and says that disk is OK (both disks actually — fusion drive) BUT... weird message after the OK saying :

" File system check exit code = 0
Updating boot support partitions for the volume as required.
Shrinking file system
Shrinking logical volume
A problem occurred; undoing Logical Volume resize changes."

3. Frequent keychain errors : " Cannot find 'login' to store ....etc " passwords/authentications

4. Certain programs troubles loading up due to corrupt preferences, ie. Chrome and others

5. Sometimes freezes half-way during regular boot, and can't boot in Safe mode

6. Can't erase drive :

"Volume Encrypt and Erase failed
Volume Encrypt and Erase failed with the error:
Unable to delete the Core Storage logical volume"

7. During permissions repair:

Warning: SUID file "System/LIbrary/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARDAgent" has been modified and will not be repaired.

So... how screwed am I? Ideally, I would love to be able to correct this myself because I can't afford to pay for repair and I can't take a week off for this to get repaired by Apple.

Please help if anyone knows what I can do here...

FUSION DRIVE 02 Feb 2017 17:32 #8053

WHAT HAPPENED :
550 Gb free space on my late-2012 iMac running Yosemite (Fusion Drive), using Photoshop with a big file and the virtual memory was used up and the computer crashed bad.

I tried booting off a USB with techtools on it, but it was an older USB and didn't load.

Then I tried to make an eDrive on my iMac and that started and then failed. Reading this forum, I have realized that this shouldn't be done but alas for my amazing hindsight.

Since then I've had major problems although I'm not sure if it was the crash of the edrive creation that is causing the trouble.

HOPED FOR OUTCOME :
Ideally, I would love to just repair the computer quickly and get back to work, however, at the worse, I'd like to be able to erase/reformat the drive and start fresh.

LIST OF PROBLEMS :

1. Annoying message : "Unapproved caller. SecurityAgent may only be invoked by Apple software"

2. Disk Utility repairs everything and says that the drive (both disks-fusion drive) is OK... BUT weird message after the OK says :

"File system check exit code = 0
Updating boot support partitions for the volume as required.
Shrinking file system
Shrinking logical volume
A problem occured; undoing Logical Volume resize changes."

3. Frequent Keychain errors : "cannot find 'login' to store ..... " password/authentications/etc.

4. Certain programs have trouble launching due to corrupt preferences, like Chrome, Google Drive, others...

5. Sometimes freezes halfway during regular boot — can't boot at all in Safe mode

6. Can't erase/format drive :

"Volume Encrypt and Erase failed
Volume Encrypt and Erase failed with the error:
Unable to delete the Core Storage logical volume"

7. During permissions repair:

Warning: SUID file "System/Libary/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARDAgent" has been modified and will not be repaired.

So how screwed am I? Ideally I would like to do this myself because I can't afford to pay for repair and I need to get back to work as soon as possible.

Can anyone help? Thanks

FUSION DRIVE 02 Feb 2017 19:12 #8054

When you have had a bad crash, it is prudent to shut down and wait a few minutes for the contents of RAM to clear and then reboot from a cold start. If you restart, some system software code in RAM is reused, and if that code in RAM is damaged, you might get errors that you would not get otherwise. I have seen Disk Utility make erroneous reports of errors, and those reports ceased after a shutdown and reboot.

If you have a Recovery HD volume, reboot from it. See what Disk Utility says when you check the disk directory. If there are still problems, and If you already have an up-to-date backup, try to reformat the Fusion drive using Disk Utility. If you do not and the files are still on the Fusion drive, use a utility to copy the files to another volume, then reformat the Fusion drive.

If you do not have a Recovery HD volume you will have to boot from some other volume to use Disk Utility to reformat the Fusion drive.

support.apple.com/en-us/HT201314
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

FUSION DRIVE 02 Feb 2017 19:16 #8055

George,

I suggest you change your screen name to something other than an email address, so you do not get a lot of spam.

Use the My Account link at the top of the page, then Account Information link. Change the "username" field.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 02 Feb 2017 19:17 by micromattech3.

FUSION DRIVE 02 Feb 2017 19:20 #8057

Thanks... I didn't realize that. It's done.

FUSION DRIVE 02 Feb 2017 19:36 #8058

Please send a message to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. , including a link to this thread, and please mention that you changed your screen name from what it was to Aethon.

I discussed your case with a colleague, who believes that after doing some research or finding an online tutorial, we should be able to provide you with some Terminal commands that can deal with Core Storage in a way that goes beyond the capabilities of Disk Utility. In other words, there should be Terminal commands that will delete the Core Storage logical volume, which will allow you to reformat the drive.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

FUSION DRIVE 02 Feb 2017 20:28 #8059

I did all that—please let me know when you can help me. Thanks guys. I appreciate it.

And while we are on the subject, for future reference, as you said earlier "no to the tools, yes to the tests". Can I still do a volume rebuild at least?

FUSION DRIVE 02 Feb 2017 20:52 #8060

Make sure you are using TechTool Pro 7.0.9, and you can use both the tests and tools. Also, the eDrive should be able to be created on the Fusion drive.

Do not use TechTool Pro 7.0.9 with OS X versions later than Yosemite.

Full details:

www.micromat.com/product_changes/techtoo..._7_release_notes.pdf
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

FUSION DRIVE 02 Feb 2017 21:32 #8061

I was using 7.0.9, however, I am still having this problem.

Can you still help me with the Terminal commands for formatting/erasing the main drive?

As I said, eDrive creation failed about halfway through when I tired at the beginning of all this craziness.

FUSION DRIVE 02 Feb 2017 21:39 #8062

The problem may have been caused by pre-existing errors in the partition map or disk directory.

Please send a message to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. , as requested above. Thank you.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

FUSION DRIVE 02 Feb 2017 21:42 #8063

It's done. Message sent. Thanks.

FUSION DRIVE 02 Feb 2017 21:44 #8064

Thanks for your cooperation.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Time to create page: 0.364 seconds