Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC: 10.9 Support

10.9 Support 21 Jun 2013 09:19 #4119

I have just installed TechTool Pro 7 on 10.9 and I'm getting the following message:

TechTool Pro 7 (version 7.0.1) has not been tested with Mac OS X 10.9.0

But Micromat's marketing is saying:

"It also works perfectly on the developer release of the new version of Mac OS X, "Mavericks.""

Which would seem to contradict this.

Is this safe to run on 10.9 or not? As this is the reason I just paid for the upgrade.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

10.9 Support 21 Jun 2013 10:27 #4123

The program is written to state that it has not been tested with Mac OS X 10.9.0, because that has not been released. It does work with the current beta of Mavericks.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

10.9 Support 21 Jun 2013 10:55 #4126

Ok thanks, but that doesn't make a lot of sense.

10.9 Support 21 Jun 2013 11:03 #4127

Every version of TechTool Pro checks the version number of the installed version of Mac OS X upon launch. If the commercial release of that version has not yet been released, the program gives the warning you saw.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

10.9 Support 21 Jun 2013 11:40 #4129

I understand that now thank you, but I think it doesn't make sense to be saying:

"It also works perfectly on the developer release of the new version of Mac OS X, "Mavericks.""

When perhaps you should be saying:

It will also work on the new version of Mac OS X, "Mavericks" when it is released

You are saying in your marketing that this works "perfectly" with Mavericks but when you launch the application it says "we haven't tested this with Mavericks", this doesn't make a lot of sense, one of those messages should be different.

10.9 Support 21 Jun 2013 12:36 #4131

Both statements are correct. The statements refer to two different things, Mac OS X 10.9.0, which does not yet exist, and to the current developer build of Mavericks, as of yesterday.

We have tried to make it clear that TechTool Pro 7.0.1 works with the current (as of yesterday) developer release of Mavericks. The TechTool Pro 7.0.1 application is programmed to give the message you saw when it sees any operating system beyond Mountian Lion. We have been using this approach since TechTool Pro 5.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 21 Jun 2013 12:42 by micromattech3.

10.9 Support 21 Jun 2013 15:44 #4135

Mac OS X 10.9.0 is "the developer release of the new version of Mac OS X, "Mavericks.""

They are actually the same thing, not two different things. Your software says: "TechTool Pro 7 (version 7.0.1) has not been tested with Mac OS X 10.9.0"

I am running 10.9.0 on my Mac it is also "the developer release of the new version of Mac OS X, "Mavericks.""

I am giving you my feedback as a customer, take it or leave it but in my opinion the language is misleading regardless of how many times in the past you have done the same.
Last Edit: 22 Jun 2013 08:12 by Fridgemagnet.

10.9 Support 21 Jun 2013 16:49 #4136

Mac OS X 10.9.0 has not been released. What you have is a developer's version, or a beta release. Until Apple releases Maverick online in the App Store, what you have is not what we are referring to.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

10.9 Support 22 Jun 2013 08:08 #4159

You are contradicting yourself. 10.9.0 HAS been released, it has been released to developers, I know this because:

I am a developer.
I downloaded it and installed it.
Apple describe what I have installed as 10.9.0 AND the "developer release of OS X Mavericks"
What I have installed is not 10.8 or 10.7 or an earlier version of OS X
My Mac says what I have installed is: Mac OS X 10.9.0

But crucially I know what is on my Mac because your software "Tech Tool Pro 7" correctly identifies my operating system as:

Mac OS X 10.9.0

10.9.0 is a version of 10.9 which is also a version of OS X Mavericks which is also the 10.9 Mavericks Developer Preview.

Now, I understand that you MEAN that when I launch Tech Tool Pro 7 that it is trying to tell me that it HASN'T been tested with the FINAL version of 10.9 that has been released to the public, in which case your message should say:

TechTool Pro 7 (version 7.0.1) has not been tested with Mac OS X 10.9.0 (Developer Release)

Which would make more sense, except that your marketing states:

Well if it "works perfectly" then I assume that you, or somebody else at Micromat has tested it with "10.9.0" which is "the developer release of the new version of Mac OS X" which is what you are saying, therefore a message that says:

TechTool Pro 7 (version 7.0.1) has not been tested with Mac OS X 10.9.0

Or even a message that says:

TechTool Pro 7 (version 7.0.1) has not been tested with Mac OS X 10.9.0 (Developer Preview)

Is unexpected. Unless you are lying in your marketing when you state that Tech Tool Pro 7:

"works perfectly on the developer release of the new version of Mac OS X, "Mavericks.""

I'm going to assume that you are not lying and that Tech Tool Pro 7 has been tested on the developer release of OS X Mavericks (10.9.0) and is therefore safe to run, despite the protestations of the software itself, as I think that is what you MEAN.

It is however not what you have SAID.

The intelligent thing to do here is to accept this as constructive criticism of a genuine mistake by Micromat and to perhaps change the wording of either your marketing or the error reporting of Tech Tool Pro 7.

10.9 Support 22 Jun 2013 10:11 #4161

I am sorry that I am unable to explain this issue to your satisfaction.

When Apple releases Mac OS X 10.9.0 to the public, and we have tested TechTool Pro 7 with it, we will have a new version that will remove the warning.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 22 Jun 2013 10:14 by micromattech3.

10.9 Support 25 Jun 2013 00:47 #4194

Sean Gaynor wrote:
You are contradicting yourself. 10.9.0 HAS been released, it has been released to developers,

Well, as I see it, "10.9.0" without any other specifications is actually a reference to the final build of 10.9.0, the one that will be released to the public.
Sean Gaynor wrote:
I know this because:
I am a developer.
I downloaded it and installed it.
Apple describe what I have installed as 10.9.0 AND the "developer release of OS X Mavericks"

Yes, you installed a developer preview of OS X 10.9.0, not the final 10.9.0 system, that has not been released yes.
Sean Gaynor wrote:
What I have installed is not 10.8 or 10.7 or an earlier version of OS X
My Mac says what I have installed is: Mac OS X 10.9.0

Like any developer preview does, it reports the version number it will have when it will be released. You should really compare build numbers to check if you are running a beta of final version of a software.
Sean Gaynor wrote:
But crucially I know what is on my Mac because your software "Tech Tool Pro 7" correctly identifies my operating system as:

Mac OS X 10.9.0

I agree here that TTP7 should say "OS X 10.9.0 Developer Preview" (without the "Mac" suffice, by the way, since it has been dropped starting with Mountain Lion) but how could TTP7 know which build it will have to mark as final? If a user doesn't update TTP 7.0.1 anymore he could end up having a copy of TTP7 saying that's its final version of OS X 10.9.0 is actually a developer preview… not good. A workaround would be to have that bit information stored on a Micromat server (as opposed to hardcoded in the application) and automatically retrieved by TTP7 when needed. Just a thought.

Nevertheless, I also agree that a better approach (IMHO) would be to have TTP saying something different from
"TechTool Pro 7 (version 7.0.1) has not been tested with Mac OS X 10.9.0".

Perhaps TTP7 could say nothing when it's running on a developer preview build that it has been actually tested against and say something like
"TechTool Pro 7 (version 7.0.1) has not been tested with this version of OS X 10.9.0 (build XXXXX)"
when it's running on a newer build (final or developer preview, it doesn't matter).
Last Edit: 24 Oct 2013 11:02 by XFox.

10.9 Support 25 Jun 2013 00:55 #4195

Thanks for your observations and suggestions, which I have forwarded to the proper person.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

10.9 Support 25 Jun 2013 12:17 #4196

Apparently "works perfectly" and "tested" are two different things according to Micromat.

10.9 Support 25 Jun 2013 12:37 #4197

There were no problems found when the final candidate build of TechTool Pro 7.0.1 was tested with the developer build of Mavericks that was available at the time ourtesting was done.

Please keep in mind that Apple not only reserves the right to make significant changes as development progresses, they changed the disk directory in Mac OS X Tiger between the last developer release and the commercial release to the public, adding the Extended Attributes file to the disk directory.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

10.9 Support 26 Jun 2013 01:44 #4214

A long time Apple developer, I've been round this issue before with other development environments.... the problem is actually quite simple...

First off, Marketing and Programming speak different languages (I'm ignoring the lawyer component). Then you add in Apple, who uses a different nomenclature "in the code" (which is different from what they show on the display screens,) than what it's marketing department tells Apple Developers.

So, while the markeing statement is a classic "true statement," what that statement fails to acknowledge is that the TTP developers cannot define what a "Developer Release" is in their own code. They are using a simple ... "if the version is Greater than 10.8" then fail.

Note that this result is also different from the output of "uname -v" (which for 10.8.4 happens to be:
Darwin Kernel Version 12.4.0: Wed May 1 17:57:12 PDT 2013; root:xnu-2050.24.15~1/RELEASE_X86_64

Darwin? Only old heads like me know why the Kernel is called Darwin... and not OSX....

10.9 Support 26 Jun 2013 02:17 #4216

This means that some of what is in your head is copyrighted by the Regents of the University of California, a phrase with with you are doubtless familiar.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

10.9 Support 24 Oct 2013 05:10 #4795

OK, I've had with you people! This reminds me of Bill Clinton saying, "...depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is."!

All I wanna know is: does version 6 work dependably with 10.9?!?

10.9 Support 24 Oct 2013 10:27 #4797

TechTool Pro 6 should not be used with Mavericks. You need at least version 7.0.1.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

10.9 Support 24 Oct 2013 15:43 #4799

MicroMat Tech3 wrote:
TechTool Pro 6 should not be used with Mavericks. You need at least version 7.0.1.
However, when I launch TTP 7.0.1 -- It says it has not been tested with mavericks and that I should quit.
Attachments:

10.9 Support 24 Oct 2013 16:59 #4800

This thread makes it clear why the dialog box must be there. You can ignore it now that the commercial release of Mavericks is out and there have been no reported new problems.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

10.9 Support 24 Oct 2013 22:20 #4806

Hmmmm.... OK, but since I just recently paid to update to TT Pro 6 why am I being charged again?!? And why are you charging for ver 7 anyway? Was it really that much of a deal?

I don't mean to sound like a dick, but as you might imagine, I feel a tad shafted having already paid for something you're telling me I shouldn't use. And why not, pray tell. It worked great yesterday with Mountain Lion; could Mavericks really be that much different? Will my machine explode? What, if any, is the real danger in continuing to use version 6?

10.9 Support 24 Oct 2013 22:30 #4807

TechTool Pro 7 was developed using the developer releases of Mavericks, which did not exist when TechTool Pro 6 was released. I have no idea what will happen if you use a program with an operating system that did not exist when the program was written. Even programs that were tested using fairly recent developer releases of Mavericks are crashing with the full commercial release, as you can see by visiting any number of support forums.

The memory test in TechTool Pro 7 alone took over a year of research and development, and avoids testing addresses in caches and virtual memory swapfiles. The disk optimizer has a number of improvements. The upgrade is $39.99.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 24 Oct 2013 22:33 by micromattech3.

10.9 Support 25 Oct 2013 00:01 #4812

The eDrive creation tool in TechTool Pro 6 will not allow you to create an eDrive with a version of the system software that succeeded TechTool Pro 6. The Dsk Permissions feature will not work.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

10.9 Support 25 Oct 2013 20:28 #4815

In testing version 7 with Mavericks I have found that the TT Daemon is running 103.75 % CPU all the time.

10.9 Support 25 Oct 2013 22:14 #4816

Please send a message to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. , including a link to this thread and a screen capture of Activity Monitor showing the TechToolProDaemon in TechTool Pro 7.0.1 using an unusual amount of the CPU. You will receive a reply by email. Thank you.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 25 Oct 2013 22:15 by micromattech3.

10.9 Support 26 Oct 2013 14:27 #4818

Has anyone noticed that the TTP 7.0.1 system pref plugin hangs at launch?
I get the beach-ball trying to get to the volume usage tab - can't select any others as I don't get chance.
The window draws correctly & show as 'On', but no drive data is displayed.
The backgrounder is working correctly because it keeps nagging me one of my backup drives is nearly full. I discovered the hang whilst trying to access the prefs to change the nag threshold.

It appears this is a separate process from the containing window, presumably belonging to the sys prefs itself, as I can still move it on screen, but have to force quit to exit the prefs after that.

10.9 Support 26 Oct 2013 14:52 #4819

Thanks for your clear and detailed report.

Please repair permissions using Disk Utility, and then reinstall TechTool Pro 7.0.1. If you still see the problem with the opening of the TechTool Protection system preferences pane, please send an email message to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. , including a link to this thread. You will receive a reply by email on Monday, and may be asked to send in an Apple System Information report and the relevant text from the All Messages log at the time when you opened the Protection pane. Thank you.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

10.9 Support 26 Oct 2013 16:48 #4820

I too have the same issue with the pref pane having installed mavericks.

Cheers

10.9 Support 26 Oct 2013 17:25 #4822

Thanks for your report. Please send a message to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. , as described above.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

10.9 Support 26 Oct 2013 17:34 #4823

email sent. New info as follows...

Perms repair didn’t really hit anything of note, couple of things in iTunes & some unexpected ACLs.
Opening System Prefs generates the following message in Console -
26/10/2013 17:55:17.908 System Preferences[2386]: .sdef warning for argument 'FileType' of command 'save' in suite 'Standard Suite': 'saveable file format' is not a valid type name.
Switching to TTP itself appears to generate no message, but as I force quit I see -
26/10/2013 17:56:32.251 spindump[2393]: System Preferences [2386] didn't gather any samples due to audio running
26/10/2013 17:57:22.676 com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[378]: (com.apple.systempreferences.67968[2395]) Exited: Terminated: 15

Checking info on the pref pane, btw, shows it as 7.0.0 not 7.0.1

I also confirm I'm seeing the TTP daemon running at about 100% cpu/8 cores, so about 12.5% 'real'

10.9 Support 26 Oct 2013 17:40 #4824

Thanks for the additional details, which may help the programmer to see whether the problem is with the TechTool Protection system preferences pane in TechTool Pro 7.0.1 or with the way the System Preferences application in OS X 10.9.0 is working.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

10.9 Support 27 Oct 2013 00:08 #4830

You posted a couple of days ago the commercial release of Mavericks is out and there have been no reported new problems, a post that was soon followed by posts reporting new problems. The bottom line is: Does Micromat recommend or advise we use 7.0.1 with 10.9, or not? Thanks, Owen

10.9 Support 27 Oct 2013 00:22 #4831

The new problems, while certainly deserving of attention, are not ones that are going to cause loss of function or loss of data. I suggest that you use TechTool Pro 7.0.1 with Mavericks 10.9.0, and if you find problems, please bring them to our attention. We are working on a substantial free update, and if we get helpful reports from users, it will be even better than I know it is going to be.

You can test a program on a hundred systems and find no problems. When you start to use it on thousands of systems, a previously-unknown problem might arise. If that were not the case, Apple would never have to fix the system software.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 27 Oct 2013 00:29 by micromattech3.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tharden

10.9 Support 27 Oct 2013 02:25 #4834

Of course, no problems here. You understand, when Tech Tool pops up a warning, we take it seriously. Bad things could happen! So... the warning will go away... sometime soon? Thanks, Owen

10.9 Support 27 Oct 2013 02:35 #4835

The warning dialog box will be removed in the next update, which will be released after the usual thorough beta testing.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

10.9 Support 27 Oct 2013 02:55 #4837

O.K., thanks , just checking. Meanwhile, we can use 7.0.1 with 10.9 ? Thanks for your time, Owen.

10.9 Support 27 Oct 2013 03:01 #4838

You are welcome.

The question of whether you can use TechTool Pro 7.0.1 with OS X 10.9.0 was answered in posting 4831 in this thread.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

10.9 Support 27 Oct 2013 20:14 #4842

MicroMat Tech3 wrote:
The warning dialog box will be removed in the next update, which will be released after the usual thorough beta testing.
And when/how long will that be?

Given normal development cycles and the fact that Micromat has obviously been working with Mavericks for some time -- the fact that Mavericks was released Tuesday the 22nd (some 5 days ago) and that the adoption rate was the Highest and Fastest in Apple's history -- one would expect that the testing cycle should be complete now.

When can we expect a statement which contains information instead of simply "soothing words?"

Prolonged delays for announcements and wesel-worded statements (no matter how "true") only serve to undermine confidence in a vendor.

10.9 Support 27 Oct 2013 20:58 #4843

I cannot tell you how long it will take to test the next update. Nobody is in a position to know in advance whether any unexpected problems will arise. That is an inherent part of testing software. I have to remind myself of this basic fact when I visit support forums for programs I use, and check the news for Mavericks compatibility.

All of the features of the program will be tested to make sure that they work properly with both Mavericks and the earlier supported operating systems. The last thing anyone needs is a disk optimizer or a disk repair utility that was prematurely released.

Years ago, if I recall correctly, I made the mistake of stating that an update to a program would be ready in n weeks. When it was not, someone spent a lot of time speculating that the programmers were "stuck" on something, and I spent a lot of time explaining that reproducing a reported problem, determining its cause, and writing code to solve it were simply what the programmers call "work". They were not "stuck". I can only thank you for your patience, and I think you will be pleased with the update when it is released. In the meantime, if you find any problems with using TechTool Pro 7.0.1 with Mavericks 10.9.0 that cannot be resolved by repairing permissions with Disk Utility and reinstalling TechTool Pro 7.0.1, please send a message to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. . Thank you.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
The following user(s) said Thank You: philmol@mac.com

10.9 Support 28 Oct 2013 20:36 #4846

It appears that the last update didn't get the pref pane too - whether I should have done it manually, been reminded, or it ought to have been automatic, idk.

Reinstall appears to have fixed it - pref pane now shows as 7.0.1, rather than 7.0.0 as it did before.

TTP Daemon CPU time is now down at 2% /8 cores; agent negligible & directory backup hovering between 2-10% as it's working.

10.9 Support 28 Oct 2013 21:32 #4847

Thanks for the update. It is good to see that reinstalling the program solved the problem.

When you first launch TechTool Pro after installing it, the application should display a dialog box that allows you to update the TechTool Protection system preferences pane.

If the version number of the TechTool Protection system preferences pane does not match the version number of the application, go to /Library/PreferencePanes and delete the TechTool Protection.prefPane file. Then launch the TechTool Pro application. As an alternative, you can launch System Preferences, click the Show All button if necessary, then hold down the Control key and click TechTool Protection. You will see the option to remove the file. Then launch the TechTool Pro application, and allow the preferences pane to be updated.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

10.9 Support 30 Oct 2013 18:16 #4854

MicroMat Tech3 wrote:
The new problems, while certainly deserving of attention, are not ones that are going to cause loss of function or loss of data. I suggest that you use TechTool Pro 7.0.1 with Mavericks 10.9.0, and if you find problems, please bring them to our attention. We are working on a substantial free update, and if we get helpful reports from users, it will be even better than I know it is going to be.

You can test a program on a hundred systems and find no problems. When you start to use it on thousands of systems, a previously-unknown problem might arise. If that were not the case, Apple would never have to fix the system software.

I'm using a MBPro early 2011, 10.9, TTP 7.0.1. Didn't even think there would be a Mavericks issue until today when the fans came on, I checked Activity Monitor and TT Protection was "not responding" and taking 73%+ CPU. I quit the process and the fans stopped. Came to this site to see if there was an update, found this thread, so this is a post telling you about an "issue." Of course when launching TTP it says it is not compatible with 10.9, but that's a given in my experience. Are you saying to use the utilities (i.e. rebuild directory, etc.) and let you know if there are issues or should the TT Protection be turned off, etc.?

Have been relying on TTP for many years to maintain/repair, hope the 10.9 changes are not so great that an update will be long in coming. Thanks for a good utility. Also have your other utilities too, so I presume they too will be 10.9 "unfriendly" for a while - yes?

Tom

10.9 Support 30 Oct 2013 19:01 #4855

One other person recently reported that the TechToolProtection process was taking up too much of the CPU (posting #4846 above). The problem was resolved by repairing permissions with Disk Utility (which might not have been done after Mavericks 10.9.0 was installed) and then reinstalling TechTool Pro.

I have tried to make it clear that you should use the program and report any problems you find. The problems will be investigated, and may, as happened in the case described above, turn out to have nothing to do with the fact that Mavericks 10.9.0 and TechTool Pro 7.0.1 are being used together. On the other hand, if you do find a problem with this combination, we need to know about it so that it can be corrected in the next update.

After the next update to TechTool Pro is released, we can turn our attention to TechTool Protogo and Checkmate, which has seen no problems so far that can be attributed to Mavericks.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 30 Oct 2013 19:05 by micromattech3.
The following user(s) said Thank You: golf25radioman

10.9 Support 03 Nov 2013 18:28 #4874

> I have tried to make it clear that you should use the program and report any problems you find.

That's good enough for me. I have used Techtool 7.0.1 on a 10.9 Mac with no problems to report. So far just Volume Rebuild and File Optimisation. I have yet to run Volume Optimisation, which I plan to do during the coming week.

I can see where Micromat are coming from: you may encounter problems with 10.9 but they may be nothing at all to do with Mavericks. I suggest that if you have used TTP 7.0.1 on a 10.9 Mac then you post here saying so, even if you have not experienced problems.

10.9 Support 03 Nov 2013 19:03 #4875

Since my report of the CPU issue (above #4854), there has been no other instance of it. Will be doing some disk maintenance this week, if any issues come up I'll let you all know. Thank you for great software.

10.9 Support 03 Nov 2013 19:23 #4876

Thanks for the update and your kind comment.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

10.9 Support 04 Nov 2013 19:05 #4879

When will be ready an tested update for 10.9.?

10.9 Support 04 Nov 2013 19:38 #4880

There is no way to know in advance when testing of software will be finished. Please see message #4843 above, and thank you for your patience.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 04 Nov 2013 19:39 by micromattech3.

10.9 Support 05 Nov 2013 00:02 #4881

Can you tell us if/how we will be notified that TechTool Pro 7.x is fully certified compliant with OS X 10.9? Or should we just subscribe to this thread?

TIA.

10.9 Support 05 Nov 2013 00:04 #4882

The Check for Update feature in the application will see a new version on the server. Subscribing to the thread would also work.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.492 seconds