Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: Edrive won't show up on desktop/can't boot from Techtool DVD

Edrive won't show up on desktop/can't boot from Techtool DVD 25 Jul 2011 18:42 #883

I created an edrive successfully from techtool pro 6 that I installed on my MacBook pro i7 quad core however when I use the restart from edrive it continues to start off of Macintosh hd. When i try to mount the edrive it says it's mounted on the desktop, but i dont see it. Trying to boot off of the edrive by holding option doesn't work. Now I can't even boot off of the techtool pro DVD. Help!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Edrive won't show up on desktop/can't boot from Techtool DVD 25 Jul 2011 19:45 #884

In the Finder, choose Preferences, and make sure that the option to have mounted drives appear on the desktop is chosen.

The first thing to check is how much free space is on the eDrive. You can see that by using Disk Utility. Choose the eDrive, and then click the Info button. If the free space is smaller than a few GB, once you have access to the eDrive, check the /Library/Printers folder and delete unnecessary printer drivers. Also, check the folder /Library/Application support, and see if it has folders for applications that are not on the eDrive. Such folders can be deleted. If there is not enough free space on the eDrive, virtual memory swapfiles cannot be created, and the boot fails.

I do not see why you would suddently be unable to boot from the TechTool Pro DVD. It can be chosen in the Startup Disk pane of System Preferences, or you can restart with the DVD in the drive and hold down the C key until it is clear that the boot is taking place from the DVD. There is no Startup Disk pane in System Preferences on the DVD, so to restart from your usual startup volume, restart and hold down the mouse button.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 25 Jul 2011 19:50 by micromattech3.

Re: Edrive won't show up on desktop/can't boot from Techtool DVD 25 Jul 2011 20:28 #885

When you use the Mount eDrive button in the TechTool Pro application, the eDrive remains mounted until you quit the application, then it automatically unmounts.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Re: Edrive won't show up on desktop/can't boot from Techtool DVD 25 Jul 2011 21:48 #886

Thank you for the quick response! I unfortunately deleted the edrive and have the Techtool DVD at home so I will only be able ti check out your suggestions tonight, but I will definitely get back to you tomorrow and let you know what happened. Thank you again!

Re: Edrive won't show up on desktop/can't boot from Techtool DVD 25 Jul 2011 22:15 #889

You are welcome.

If you are using TechTool Pro 6.0.2 with Leopard (at least Mac OS X 10.5.5) or Snow Leopard, you can create the eDrive without the need for the TechTool Pro DVD.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Re: Edrive won't show up on desktop/can't boot from Techtool DVD 26 Jul 2011 21:34 #906

Problem is now solved. Yesterday before reading your response, I removed the edrive and ran repair disk permissions which found errors and repaired them. Last night I created a NEW edrive (using the Techtool Pro installed on my computer running Leopard) and this morning was able to restart from the edrive. My only remaining concern is that it takes a while for my computer to startup (while it used to start up within one minute). I'm not sure what could have changed. Thank you for your help!

Re: Edrive won't show up on desktop/can't boot from Techtool DVD 26 Jul 2011 21:50 #907

You are welcome, and thanks for the update.

It appears that the permissions were seriously damaged on the first eDrive.

The permissions get copied from the installation of Mac OS X chosen as the Mac OS X source volume. Since repairing permissions on the Mac OS X source volume allowed the creation of a functioning eDrive, it appears that the permissions were wrong on the source volume, which suggests that it is a good thing that you did not attempt a restart from it.

Another possibility is that the permissions were copied incorrectly on the first attempt to create the eDrive, and correctly on the second attempt, and that repairing the permissions on the source volume had no effect. It would depend on what permissions were repaired. At any rate, it is good to see that you did not read and follow my personal choice for worst technical support article read by more than five people.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Edrive won't show up on desktop/can't boot from Techtool DVD 03 May 2020 21:35 #12015

Can't fine my newly created edrive. Safari Catalina

Edrive won't show up on desktop/can't boot from Techtool DVD 03 May 2020 21:46 #12016

The eDrive is not intended to remain mounted except when it is the active boot volume. The background process TechToolProDaemon automatically unmounts it, so it is not on the desktop and not subject to mishap.

If for some reason, you need to keep the eDrive mounted for a while, launch the TechTool Pro application, and in the eDrive pane, use the Mount eDrive button. The eDrive mounts, and remains mounted until you quit the application, at which time the eDrive should automatically unmount.

You boot from the eDrive by opening the TechTool Pro application, going to the eDrive pane under Tools, and clicking the Restart eDrive button.

I suggest you change your screen name to something other than an email address. These forums are indexed by Google, and you might get a lot of spam. Use the My Account link at the top of the page, and then the Account Information link. Changing your screen name retroactively updates the screen name that appears in all of your postings.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Time to create page: 0.380 seconds