Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: Volume Rebuild taking a very long time

Volume Rebuild taking a very long time 07 Mar 2017 19:22 #8099

Hello,

I have an external USB 2.0 500 GB hard drive that has some minor problems with the directory (reported by Disk Utility). The drive has approximately 170 GB available. My computer is a Macintosh Quicksilver G4 (867 MHz).

I started Volume Rebuild about 4 days ago, and it's still at the step "Rebuilding Directory Structures" - is it possible that it should be taking so long to rebuild the directory structures? There were no errors reported during the first two steps.

Thanks in advance for any advice / help.
Last Edit: 07 Mar 2017 19:34 by wjtomcanin.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Volume Rebuild taking a very long time 07 Mar 2017 19:50 #8100

It is possible that the volume rebuild process has run out of memory, or is "going around in circles". If you send a message to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. , including a link to this thread, we might be able to use the Unix "sample" command to see if that is the case, with the help of a programmer.

Some people with older computers with relatively little RAM (by today's standards) are using with those computers disk drives that are much larger than the ones that were commonly used with those computers when they were new. If you have little RAM in relation to the size of the disk directory, you may not be able to rebuild the disk directory with TechTool Pro, because the new disk directory files, the Catalog B-Tree and the Extents B-Tree, must both be able to fit into available RAM simultaneously. If you want to make the minor repair quickly, you should use Disk Utility, because it changes only the parts of the directory that need to be changed. While you do not get the files re-ordered in the directory in an order that makes the Finder work more efficiently, that is a minor disadvantage.

Since you have not actually started the process of writing the new disk directory to disk, it would be safe to interrupt the process. Once you have clicked the Replace button, such an interruption could lead to having no disk directory.

I suggest you run the Surface Scan to check the drive for unremapped bad blocks, because they can sometimes cause the volume rebuild process to stall.

I
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
The following user(s) said Thank You: wjtomcanin

Volume Rebuild taking a very long time 07 Mar 2017 20:03 #8101

Thank you for the prompt response. I will do as you suggest and send an e-mail with the link.

Does TTP take advantage of virtual memory? My G4 is running the PPC version of Mac OS 10.5.8 -- I guess I assumed that with VM, there would be sufficient memory.

Thanks again for the reply!
Last Edit: 07 Mar 2017 20:06 by wjtomcanin.

Volume Rebuild taking a very long time 07 Mar 2017 20:08 #8102

You are welcome.

It is my understanding that the new disk directory files must both be able to be held in RAM. While other parts of TechTool Pro may use virtual memory, the new Catalog B-Tree and Extents B-Tree cannot be written to virtual memory.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Time to create page: 0.301 seconds