Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: Hard drive reports half capacity

Hard drive reports half capacity 01 Apr 2015 00:53 #6308

Hello,
I have a Power Mac MDD Dual 867 with three hard drives. One of them, an IBM Deskstar 120GXP, Model Name IC35L060AVVA07-0, has a rated capacity of 60 GB. It says so on the label and in the data sheet from IBM. Disk Utility and TTP 6 both report its capacity at 31.5 GB. All tests by TTP 6 and Disk First Aid pass. I tried reformatting this drive but DU won't let me create a partition larger than 31.37 GB. What happened to the other 29.5 GB?

The data sheet says this HD contains two data disks. Could one of them have failed without TTP 6 detecting it?

Jim

EDIT:

I am checking the jumpers on the drive. They are supposed to be set for "Cable Select" but there are four versions of "Cable Select" in the jumper diagram on the back of the drive. Mine is set for "32GB Clip". The other three options are "16 Heads", 15 Heads", and "Auto Spin Disable". Can anyone say which one it is supposed to be?

I got this computer for free so I don't know any history that might help with diagnosis.
Last Edit: 01 Apr 2015 01:54 by jimbo1421. Reason: additional info
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Hard drive reports half capacity 01 Apr 2015 01:47 #6309

I have not encountered such a problem before, and do not know if a drive can fail in such a way that both Disk Utility and TechTool Pro report a capacity that is about half of what the specifications claim. Use Apple System Profiler, to check what is under Hardware/Storage, to see what it reports, and then try the Apple Support forums to see if anyone has reported such a result.

Try this command in Terminal. Launch Terminal, located in /Applications/Utilities. Type (or copy and paste)

diskutil list

Press the Return key.

The output from my iMac (mid 2010):
Macintosh:/ MMT3$ diskutil list
/dev/disk0
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *1.0 TB     disk0
   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk0s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS Macintosh HD            987.2 GB   disk0s2
   3:                 Apple_Boot Recovery HD             650.0 MB   disk0s3
   4:                  Apple_HFS eDrive                  12.0 GB    disk0s4
/dev/disk1
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *250.1 GB   disk1
   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk1s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS G-Drive_Q_232           245.7 GB   disk1s2
   3:                 Apple_Boot Recovery HD Experiment  3.9 GB     disk1s3
/dev/disk2
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *500.1 GB   disk2
   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk2s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS H_G_Wells               499.8 GB   disk2s2
Macintosh:/ MMT3$

Quit Terminal.

Note that the size of the device is given.

In some respects, Disk Utility is just an interface for the distill command, but there are sometimes cases in which Disk Utility has some corrupted code in RAM and gives false reports. I have seen it contradict itself about volume formats, until I restarted my computer.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 01 Apr 2015 01:54 by micromattech3.

Hard drive reports half capacity 01 Apr 2015 05:36 #6311

Found the problem, I think. The jumpers were set to Cable Select in the 32 GB clip mode. This does what it sounds like, limit the drive capacity to 32 GB, which is needed for some older systems that don't support larger drives. In the morning I will change the jumpers and see what happens.

Jim

Hard drive reports half capacity 01 Apr 2015 10:33 #6313

Thanks for the update.

I was trying to remember all those old cases in which people with PowerPC models bought large drives and then found out that their computers could not address all of the space on them.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Hard drive reports half capacity 01 Apr 2015 17:01 #6314

Fixed! Changed the jumpers from 32 GB Clip configuration to 16 head. Disk Utility now reports 57 GB capacity. I have no idea why it was set to 32 GB Clip since there is no restriction on 60 GB hard drives in the MDD Dual 867.

Jim

Hard drive reports half capacity 01 Apr 2015 17:45 #6315

Good detective work with an old problem, and thanks for specifying precisely what you did to solve it.

I hope this thread will be of help to someone else.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Time to create page: 0.270 seconds