Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: Reinitializing and Restoring Damaged HD with 6.0.8 and Time Machine

Reinitializing and Restoring Damaged HD with 6.0.8 and Time Machine 23 Mar 2015 14:49 #6246

My query is also logged in the help@ venue, but I'm impatient. It seems this should be a pretty straightforward fix and this basic scenario is bound to be one others have run into.

I have OS 10.8.2 and backed-up with Time Machine before getting into trouble. For reasons not worth getting into, I now need to reinitialize and restore. The question/issue is whether the eDrive will be adversely effected by the apple procedure or is there another way to do it, since I want to keep the eDrive which is on the same computer.

According to the apple website, I simply restart with command+r, open their disk utility and erase the HD. I'll be given an option of restoring it from Time Machine, which should be easy: Case Closed.

But, will this erase/wipe-out the eDrive as well? Is there another procedure I should follow since I want to continue with TTool rather than limit myself to the apple capabilities?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Reinitializing and Restoring Damaged HD with 6.0.8 and Time Machine 23 Mar 2015 15:01 #6247

The crucial distinction you must make when using Disk Utility is to select just the damaged volume and erase it, rather than selecting the entire hard drive mechanism and giving it new volumes and a new partition map.

You might find this tutorial from Pondini helpful, although it does not cover Mountain Lion:

Erase a Partition
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Reinitializing and Restoring Damaged HD with 6.0.8 and Time Machine 23 Mar 2015 15:31 #6248

So....using the apple DU procedure should be fine, but I just need to be careful. I suppose I can just quit the procedure if I hit a screen which is ambiguous.

Reinitializing and Restoring Damaged HD with 6.0.8 and Time Machine 23 Mar 2015 16:47 #6249

Take a look at the Help in Disk Utility. There should be no ambiguity about whether a volume or a device has been selected.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
The following user(s) said Thank You: enfieldco
Time to create page: 0.313 seconds