Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: How to obtain TechTool Pro 6 (PPC).dmg file?

How to obtain TechTool Pro 6 (PPC).dmg file? 09 Jul 2014 05:39 #5590

I recently paid for & downloaded TechTool Pro 7 App/installer (which of course can't be installed on my Powerbook running Leopard 10.5.8). The Tech Tool Pro DVD I ordered at the same time arrived this morning. It was my understanding that on the DVD there would be a TechTool Pro 6(PPC) .dmg file so I could burn a bootable DVD. Instead there is just an installer. Hours later after installation I have still been unable to create an eDrive on my external FireWire drive. For total safety I really need to be able to burn a bootable DVD - how do I do this? Clicking on "My Account" shows that that it is not possible for me to download the .dmg file. Any help would be really appreciated.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

How to obtain TechTool Pro 6 (PPC).dmg file? 09 Jul 2014 10:28 #5591

Instructions for making the bootable DVD are in:

How do I create a bootable DVD?

As is explained in the Knowledge Base article linked above, the TechTool Pro 6 dmg file is in the Extras folder on the TechTool Pro 7 DVD. If is it not on yours, please send a message to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. .

Creating the eDrive on the bootable external FireWire drive is greatly preferable to booting from the bootable DVD. When the Macintosh is booted from a locked volume, virtual memory cannot be used, and no log files can be written. Once you have installed TechTool Pro 6, you should be able to create the eDrive.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 09 Jul 2014 10:42 by micromattech3.

How to obtain TechTool Pro 6 (PPC).dmg file? 18 Jul 2014 05:59 #5598

As a courtesy, I just wanted to say I emailed "Help" as suggested and after a fair bit of effort managed to download the TechTool Pro 6 (PPC).dmg file via FTP (all 706 MB!). From that, following the instructions, I then successfully burnt a bootable DVD. Although I have tried several times to create an eDrive on my external FireWire, all I end up with each time is a 12GB partition that is completely empty of any content. I won't bother trying anymore - the bootable DVD works perfectly so I can use TechTool Pro as intended without any problems. So, thank you for the Help I received on here to resolve my request - it's very much appreciated!

How to obtain TechTool Pro 6 (PPC).dmg file? 18 Jul 2014 10:17 #5599

You are welcome, and thanks for the update.

The external FireWire drive should be able to have an eDrive created on it. It should be formatted with Disk Utility to have an Apple Partition Map and a single Mac OS Extended (journaled) volume before you begin.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 18 Jul 2014 10:44 by micromattech3.

How to obtain TechTool Pro 6 (PPC).dmg file? 18 Jul 2014 17:00 #5600

There are some rare cases with TechTool Pro 6 in which the contents of the eDrive get copied not to the intended volume created for the eDrive, but to a folder named eDrive that is in the invisible folder named Volumes, at the root (top) level of the active startup volume. You can see the contents of the /Volumes folder by using the Go to Folder feature in the Finder's Go menu, and using this as your path:

/Volumes

If there is a folder named eDrive rather than an alias pointing to the eDrive, you should delete that folder, and then try again to create the eDrive. The folder would take up at least 8 GB of disk space. Do not make any other changes to the contents of the invisible /Volumes folder.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

How to obtain TechTool Pro 6 (PPC).dmg file? 19 Jul 2014 00:28 #5601

Appreciate the feedback - thank you!

First, I purchased TechTool Pro 6 because I felt there was something really going wrong with my G4 Powerbook running Leopard 10.5.8 - running interminably slow, beachball of death no matter what I did, other strange file behaviour, etc, etc. Using the TTP6 boot DVD I made, this has indeed proved to be true - there are bad blocks plus other problems.

Second, my external Firewire drive was erased x7 overnight and reformatted as Journaled onto one large partition. I attempted to create an eDrive on this FireWire drive 3 times. Each time an eDrive partition appeared on my Mac's desktop - but each time the 12 GB partition was empty.

I suspect that the problematic PowerBook HD might be the cause of the eDrive issues, so I will erase that HD, try to repair it with TTP6, then re-install Leopard, and only then try to create an eDrive. Will update down the track.

How to obtain TechTool Pro 6 (PPC).dmg file? 19 Jul 2014 01:04 #5602

You are welcome.

The drive with the bad blocks should be replaced. The details are in this posting:

Surface Scan

When you get the replacement drive, run the Surface Scan on it, and save the results, which will presumably show no bad blocks, to another drive. If a later run of the Surface Scan finds bad blocks, and the new drive is still under warranty, you can use the results of the Surface Scan as part of your warranty claim.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 19 Jul 2014 01:05 by micromattech3.

How to obtain TechTool Pro 6 (PPC).dmg file? 19 Jul 2014 05:09 #5603

I've allocated next week with backing up my work on my hard drive and then trying hopefully to repair it. However, I fully expect this to be impossible - the bad blocks mean the drive should, as you suggest, be replaced.

However, down here in Australia, this is easier said than done. I have already tried to obtain an identical replacement drive - a Samsung 160 GB Spinpoint 5400 2.5 inch Model HM160HC - but so far without success. No alternative has been suggested so far by any dealers here.

So for the moment my priority is making sure I have a bootable backup clone on my external Firewire drive as well as a "File Sync" clone on my third external drive (being a USB drive it's unbootable).

My 15 inch 1.67 Ghz Powerbook has been a real workhorse, so can't complain about these problems after all the years of using it. Glad I purchased TTP6 anyway - at least I am now aware there are HD problems.. I'll post further down the track to let you know how it all ends :)

How to obtain TechTool Pro 6 (PPC).dmg file? 19 Jul 2014 11:56 #5606

Amazon.com ships electronics to Australia for $2.98 a pound plus $4.99 per item, according to:

Amazon Help: Shipping Rates to Australia

Unfortunately, the Amazon.com listing for the drive shows that it is sold from and shipped by another vendor. I suggest you see what the shipping charges would be. The drive itself is at:

www.amazon.com/Samsung-HM160HC-SpinPoint...tebook/dp/B000W42EI0

If you cannot get the drive, perhaps Samsung itself can suggest a suitable replacement.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

How to obtain TechTool Pro 6 (PPC).dmg file? 21 Jul 2014 01:08 #5611

Thanks for the link. I had seen it along with a number of other vendors in the USA. While it's a good price for the drive - around $90 - the shipping charges are almost the same, so I'll hang on to see if I can source one locally here. The HDD has been discontinued by Samsung, so it's not easily available. On eBay there are a number of vendors in China selling this drive cheap for around $80 with free shipping, but I wonder if they're cheap non-genuine "clones". Not sure if it's worth the risk. It has been suggested I get a larger new Western Digital 270 GB HDD, but the cost can't really be justified by me for such an old Mac.

It's late Monday morning here (in Australia). I've backed up all data, and have a bootable Firewire clone, and at present TTP6 is being used to create a File Sync Clone to my new spare USB drive. If in doubt, back it up again I reckon. I suspect the File Sync will take the rest of the day. Overnight tonight I will 7x drive erase my internal Powerbook Samsung drive and start fresh tomorrow with a Scan and see what happens. Again, much appreciate all your advice.

How to obtain TechTool Pro 6 (PPC).dmg file? 21 Jul 2014 01:22 #5612

Thanks for the update. I hope you will be able to find a suitable substitute at a reasonable cost.

You should understand that if you reformat the drive and write zeroes to it, the bad blocks that the Surface Scan detected may be remapped to spare blocks, and will therefore no longer be detectable by the Surface Scan or any other similar feature of a disk utility, but the problem, the fact that magnetic media flaked off the platter, remains. There is no way to predict when more magnetic media will flake off, and if the flaking off compromises the disk directory, as I described in the article linked above, it will not be possible to back up all of the files.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

How to obtain TechTool Pro 6 (PPC).dmg file? 25 Jul 2014 03:58 #5638

Just a further update. Earlier this week I backed up all data twice and cloned my Powerbook with the problematic Samsung HDD, then overnight erased it with DiskUtility x7 several times. A Surface Scan with TTP6 the next morning revealed no bad blocks and no other problems as previously found. This was expected after reading your detailed post. To all intents and purposes, the drive has been "fixed".

However, my gut feeling is that the drive is dying and that further problems will be experienced sooner or later. After more googling, I managed to source an identical new Samsung drive from a USA supplier for US$104 including shipping - a bargain. This will arrive in a few weeks when I will install it it in Powerbook. I'll do a Surface Scan straight after installation and keep the report in case there are warranty issues.

As mentioned previously, it was suggested to me to install a much larger capacity SSD but the cost was certainly substantially greater - almost $300 including shipping - a cost I couldn't seriously justify for such an old Powerbook.

Thanks again for all your help and advice :)

How to obtain TechTool Pro 6 (PPC).dmg file? 25 Jul 2014 10:25 #5643

I am pleased that you were able to find a replacement at a reasonable cost. I suggest that you look online to see if someone has done a good illustrated tutorial for replacing the hard drive in your model of PowerBook. Be sure to use a wrist strap to ground yourself.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

How to obtain TechTool Pro 6 (PPC).dmg file? 27 Jul 2014 00:27 #5654

I've found a very good online tutorial at iFixit.com. Interestingly, it doesn't anywhere suggest under "Tools" using an anti-static wrist strap, so to be on the safe side, I've purchased one. I live in rural Australia - should the HDD install prove to be too difficult for me to complete, I'll drive the 2 hours to my nearest Mac store and pay them to do it.

How to obtain TechTool Pro 6 (PPC).dmg file? 27 Jul 2014 00:55 #5655

Thanks for the update. I am pleased to see that you were able to buy an anti-static wrist strap. I am really surprised that www.amazon.com.au does not offer the Belkin anti-static wrist strap that appears on the American site.

MicroMat began twenty-five years ago as a firm that repaired the first Macintosh computers. One of the earliest lessons was how sensitive computer components are to static electric shock. The amount of energy contained in such a shock is not large, despite the possible 25 thousand volts involved, but it is enough to damage the very tiny structures in chips.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

How to obtain TechTool Pro 6 (PPC).dmg file? 08 Aug 2014 00:40 #5703

My HDD from an unnamed USA supplier (ordered and paid for through a local company here in Australia) arrived this morning. I'm not really sure if it's compatible, so I'm leaving the bag sealed for the moment. I know this not the correct Forum to seek advice, but perhaps someone will know the answer to my dilemma.

My Powerbook is a 15 inch G4 1.67 GHz SDDL.

The dying 160 GB hard drive currently inside is a Samsung SpinPoint Model: HM160HC, HDD P/N: HM160HC, DC +5V, 0.85A

The 160 GB HDD I have just received is Model: ST160LM005, HDD P/N HM160HC, DC+5, 0.85A. Looking through the sealed bag there can be seen on the drive "Momentus" Seagate Technologies LLC Product of Korea. Also partially visible under a barcode sticker can be seen "Samsung" and "Spinpoint".

Is this a correct and compatible replacement HDD? It would be good to know before I open the sealed Static Shield Bag. Any advice appreciated:).

How to obtain TechTool Pro 6 (PPC).dmg file? 08 Aug 2014 00:52 #5704

The problem is that two drives were made by two different companies, although it appears that Seagate owns both now. If I were in your situation, I would try to get the specs for the older drive, and then send them and the description of the newer drive to Seagate:

www.seagate.com/support-all/

It is interesting to see all the different manufacturers that appear on the Seagate support page.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
The following user(s) said Thank You: midvalleyguy

How to obtain TechTool Pro 6 (PPC).dmg file? 08 Aug 2014 04:18 #5705

Thanks for the excellent tip. I've created a Support Case at Seagate with details of my PowerBook, my dying Samsung drive, and the new Seagate HDD I received this morning. When I typed in the serial number of the new Seagate drive, it showed that the warranty had expired on 13th February 2014!

Under Australian Consumer Law, misleading and deceptive advertising is a very serious offence. This item has been sold online as new but without any mention of the fact that there is no warranty. Luckily I used Paypal for the transaction, so my chances of a full refund are very good.

However, I will first wait and see if Seagate advise that their drive is suitable/compatible with my Powerbook. I might be tempted to accept it, but the lack of any warranty, irrespective of the price I paid, is of concern. I think it will be simplest to organise a swap - with the USA supplier being obliged to supply a replacement with a full warranty.

I'll post back down the track about the final outcome.

How to obtain TechTool Pro 6 (PPC).dmg file? 08 Aug 2014 10:44 #5706

Thanks for the update.

Creating a support case with Seagate was a good plan. I am really surprised to see a warranty that has already expired, and I think you are right to peruse the matter and get a drive with a valid warranty.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Time to create page: 0.371 seconds