Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: In the midst of scanning, screen now frozen

In the midst of scanning, screen now frozen 24 Mar 2014 13:27 #5279

How does one get out of the process when the screen is frozen? I booted my iMac with my disk, nothing was said about not using with Mavericks, and things seemed to go fine, except that I forgot I had a 4 TB storage disk attached. It said it had about 22 more hours to scan, which I wasn't happy with, but figured it was my fault, and then a little bit later, the screen was frozen, no mouse pointer visible, and no time elapsed nor time left showing. I hear stuff going on with the iMac drive, but still frozen screen.

How can I stop the process, hopefully without damaging my drive? Thanks.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

In the midst of scanning, screen now frozen 24 Mar 2014 14:48 #5280

I assume you are referring to the Surface Scan, and that you booted the iMac with a TechTool Pro 6 bootable DVD.

If the active boot volume has TechTool Pro 6 on it, and a version of Mac OS X that is compatible with TechTool Pro 6, then there is no reason why you would get a warning, because the program is compatible with the system software in use on the active boot volume. It happens that Mavericks does not make changes to the way the disk directory is written, but in general, it is not a good idea to use older versions of any disk repair program, including Disk Utility, to make changes to a volume that has an installation of system software on it that is much later than the one in use when the disk repair utility was written.

You can stop the Surface Scan by force quitting TechTool Pro, using the Command Option Escape key combination. Assuming that the active boot volume is the bootable DVD, you may need to hold down the mouse button during the next restart to eject the DVD and cause the iMac to boot from the volume chosen in the Startup Disk pane of System Preferences.

The Surface Scan is a read-only test, so forcing it to quit cannot damage the contents of the drive being examined.

In general, you should not run TechTool Pro from the bootable DVD, because virtual memory cannot be used, and no log files can be written.

The Surface Scan test can be run from your usual startup volume (once you have a version of TechTool Pro compatible with the system software on it). It does not require booting from another volume, because it does not need to unmount the volume being examined, unlike, for example, the Volume Structures test or the Volume Rebuild feature.

You should run the Surface Scan again and let it finish, in case the program froze because it encountered some unremapped bad blocks and did not handle the data that was read from them as it should, by reporting errors.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 24 Mar 2014 14:55 by micromattech3.

In the midst of scanning, screen now frozen 24 Mar 2014 15:11 #5281

I tried forced quit and there is no response. Now what?

Thanks for responding.

In the midst of scanning, screen now frozen 24 Mar 2014 15:14 #5282

You are welcome.

Power down the iMac with the power switch, wait a minute or two, and then reboot. At the start of the new boot, hold down the mouse button until the DVD ejects.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Time to create page: 0.362 seconds