Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: Volume Rebuild Fail?

Volume Rebuild Fail? 20 Nov 2013 19:42 #4947

iMac 24 2006 Intel Core 2 Duo 2.16 GHz
3 GB Ram
Tech Tool Pro 6.0.7
Just Upgraded to 10.7.5 directly over 10.6.8 system that had just passed all Disk Utility, Tech Tool Pro 5 (latest update), Onyx for Snow Leopard utilities and maintenance routines. with flying colors.

Struggling with Spotlight re indexing issues on system (internal) drive. Keeps rewriting after each reboot. After another hour on a 250 gb hard drive supposedly makes Spotlight happy and everything else appears to be working:

I reboot to Separate External FW HD running 10.7.5 and Tech Tool Pro 6.0.7
All pass (including Disk Utility checks first) BUT

VOLUME REBUILD for Internal System Drive takes 1 hour and 20 minutes THEN SKIPS over the steps that involve the graphic showing changes (which did not appear at all, while I had eyes glued) and goes to VOLUME Rebuilding step than Rechecking and finally announces it was successful.

Needless to say I am both highly dubious it changed anything but simultaneously nervous that it DID but without showing me the proposed changes which of course may have been problematically "Unusual" etc.

This reminds me of earlier versions of Lion and Techtool Pro 6 which did not allows for successful Volume Rebuilds either but were supposedly fixed and seemed to run okay on my Macbook Pro which has been using Lion for some time.

Thoughts?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Volume Rebuild Fail? 20 Nov 2013 19:51 #4948

Please send a message to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. , including a link to this thread. You will receive a reply by email.

In the meantime, please repair permissions using Disk Utility and reinstall TechTool Pro 6.0.7. If you have a small volume, such as a USB memory stick formatted with an Apple Partition Map or a GUID partition map and a Mac OS Extended volume, please see if the Technical Comparison window appears if you use the Volume Rebuild feature on that volume. Thank you.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Volume Rebuild Fail? 20 Nov 2013 22:34 #4951

Immediately after posting this, I saw a 6.0.8 update was released.

So I downloaded it and again from the External FW Drive running 10.7.5 I ran the new 6.0.8 Techtool Pro.
(Permission were repaired previously as well as having run the correct version of Onyx. All indicated no problems.)
First I again ran disk utility and then Volume Structure both of which again returned no errors.

This time I turned off Spotlight via the Sys Prefs pane for the system drive in question (the internal drive I am trying to "rebuild" BTW, just for efficiency and NOT because of error reports.)

The behavior was exactly the same, and for close to the same amount of time. About 5 minutes in the routine was up to the third step (Rebuilding Directory Structures). The Green circle blinked regularly until 1 hour and 15 minutes in. It then stopped blinking (leaving that circle Clear), skipped over the next step "Waiting to Proceed" entirely (also leaving that Clear) and then took another 5 minutes to process the last two steps (leaving solid Green Circles for both "Replacing Directory Structures" and "Rechecking Structures".

Here are two screen grabs to assist visualizing the above.

Volume Rebuild Fail? 20 Nov 2013 23:04 #4952

Thanks for the update.

This problem should not be happening with TechTool Pro 6.0.7 or 6.0.8. I know that you have been in touch with This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. . Your screen captures did not come through. If you have not already done so, please send them in as well. Thank you.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Volume Rebuild Fail? 20 Nov 2013 23:18 #4953

Please try reinstalling TechTool Pro 6.0.8 by running its installer. The installer can be downloaded from the Available Downloads at the bottom of the My Account page, linked at the upper right corner of this window.

Also, try running the Surface Scan to check the drive for unremapped bad blocks. Thank you.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Volume Rebuild Fail? 20 Nov 2013 23:39 #4954

Here is the first for Volume Rebuild Progress (Note: I had to grab it before completion or it disappears of course. Thus the busy bar looks incomplete. Also, the Solid Green "Rechecking Structures" was actually blinking at the time.
Attachments:

Volume Rebuild Fail? 20 Nov 2013 23:40 #4955

And here is the second re Volume Rebuild Results
Attachments:

Volume Rebuild Fail? 20 Nov 2013 23:41 #4956

I ran it from with the Check for upgrades function of 6.0.7. Are you asking me to go to My Account downloads and get the installer?

Volume Rebuild Fail? 20 Nov 2013 23:49 #4957

Sorry, but I get a "Not Found" screen from the My Account link

Volume Rebuild Fail? 20 Nov 2013 23:53 #4958

Thanks for uploading the screen captures again.

Please report the problem with the My Account link to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. .
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Volume Rebuild Fail? 21 Nov 2013 01:16 #4959

Just did.

Commence more waiting.
Time to create page: 0.378 seconds