Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: Tech Tool Pro 6 and OS X 10.9 / Mavericks

Tech Tool Pro 6 and OS X 10.9 / Mavericks 27 Oct 2013 22:15 #4844

It seems worth mentioning here in the TechTool Pro 6 category -- version 6 should not be used with OS X 10.9 / Mavericks.

There is a long (painful) thread on the TT Pro 7 board that, if you read far enough, you find a notice to NOT use Tech Tool Pro 6 with OS X 10.9.

www.micromat.com/component/kunena/techto...14-10-9-support#4797

I did notice today that using "Check for Updates" in version 6 now displays:

Upgrade Available
This is the final and latest version of TechTool Pro 6.

Tech Tool Pro 7 is now available and contains new features and improvements. Version 7 is available as an upgrade at www.micromat.com. Thank you!

It would be useful to add some verbiage to that dialog indicating that version 6 is not compatible with OS X 10.9. Had I not thought of looking, I probably would have upgraded my main machine to Mavericks with version 6 in place.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Tech Tool Pro 6 and OS X 10.9 / Mavericks 27 Oct 2013 22:30 #4845

If you launch TechTool Pro 6 while the Macintosh is booted from an installation of Mavericks, you will see a dialog box warning you that the program has not been tested with the operating system in use.

You should check the compatibility of all third-party programs before upgrading the operating system on your usual boot volume. I have installed Mavericks on an external Firewire drive for testing purposes, but I expect it will be weeks before all the programs I use have an update for compatibility.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Tech Tool Pro 6 and OS X 10.9 / Mavericks 04 Dec 2013 06:57 #4996

I am personally irked by the policy of having to upgrade (paid) because the only significant change from the user's perspective is compatibility with the new operating system. I've been a TTP user since 3.0 and I, for one, will no longer be falling for this tactic. 6.0 will be my last Micromat purchase.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mike.althaus@gmail.com

Tech Tool Pro 6 and OS X 10.9 / Mavericks 04 Dec 2013 11:33 #4997

TechTool Pro 7 includes a new memory test that took over a year to develop, and the disk optimizer has been significantly revised.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 04 Dec 2013 11:34 by micromattech3.

Tech Tool Pro 6 and OS X 10.9 / Mavericks 25 Dec 2013 01:46 #5046

I upgraded to version 6 in April 2013, then version 7 was released a few months later. Now I'm told version 6 won't work with the current release of the Mac OS, I have to pay again for an upgrade to version 7 of TechTool. The justification is version 7 has new tools. Well, ok for those that want those new tools that's fine, but I just want the version I have, which isn't ancient, to work, surely it can be updated to work? I paid - I expect it to work for more than a few months.

Tech Tool Pro 6 and OS X 10.9 / Mavericks 25 Dec 2013 01:57 #5047

TechTool Pro 6 is not going to be upgraded to work with Mavericks.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Tech Tool Pro 6 and OS X 10.9 / Mavericks 01 Oct 2014 07:13 #5833

micromattech3 wrote:
If you launch TechTool Pro 6 while the Macintosh is booted from an installation of Mavericks, you will see a dialog box warning you that the program has not been tested with the operating system in use.

You should check the compatibility of all third-party programs before upgrading the operating system on your usual boot volume. I have installed Mavericks on an external Firewire drive for testing purposes, but I expect it will be weeks before all the programs I use have an update for compatibility.
micromattech3 wrote:
TechTool Pro 6 is not going to be upgraded to work with Mavericks.

I don't mind paying (and just did) for the upgrade to 7 if it gives full compatibility with 10.9 and new functions. For that 39 USD is reasonable I think.

BUT, I think TTP 6 needs to be a bit clearer that it doesn't work with Mavericks, as the above quote says. As it is now, there's just a warning but no clear statement (that I have been able to see - I may be wrong of course) that TTP 6 shouldn't be used with Mavericks. This had me wondering why the TTP 6.0.2 installer (the only one I had handy) didn't "take" on the first try. On the second it did and immediately told me to install TTP 6.0.8. And that didn't install at all. Would have been helpful with a clear statement that TTP 6 is incompatible and that the only viable option is to upgrade.

Anyway, as I said, I am happy to remain a TTP customer on Mavericks. I do hope this mess won't happen once Yosemite is released into the wild. That would be pretty poor indeed.

Best
Philip

Tech Tool Pro 6 and OS X 10.9 / Mavericks 01 Oct 2014 10:38 #5835

A program cannot make a specific reference by name to an operating system that did not exist when the program was written. All we can do is to look at the version number of the operating system in use, and if it is higher than the ones the program was tested with, issue the warning.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Tech Tool Pro 6 and OS X 10.9 / Mavericks 06 Dec 2015 01:07 #6920

Can I upgrade to TechTool Pro 8 from TTP6, or do I need to purchase an entirely new license?
Christina Horgan
Post Sound Editor / Sound Designer

Tech Tool Pro 6 and OS X 10.9 / Mavericks 06 Dec 2015 01:56 #6922

The forums are moderated. New postings do not appear until they are approved by a moderator. I deleted your other posting with this question.

I believe your TechTool Pro 6 serial number will work. If you try the upgrade link for upgrading to TechTool Pro 8 from a previous version, you are prompted to enter your present serial number:

www.micromat.com/store
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
The following user(s) said Thank You: chorgan
Time to create page: 0.294 seconds