Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: 99.90% Free Space Fragmentation

99.90% Free Space Fragmentation 14 Sep 2013 19:48 #4659

Hi,

I am a bit puzzled about what to do next.

After Volume Rebuild > File Optimization I started the Volume Optimization. This is what the results are:

Used: 264.71GB Block size 4.00KB
Free Space: 54.50GB
Largest Contiguous Free Space 99.90%
Contiguous Free space Count: 81,022
Fragmented Space: 5,209
Total Size of File fragments: 128.70GB

The entire graph is red and filled for more than 3/4 up to the top.

Job Result: Incomplete.

What to do?

Thanks for your help!

Rogier
Smiles across the wires,

Rogier Willems
The administrator has disabled public write access.

99.90% Free Space Fragmentation 14 Sep 2013 20:47 #4660

The File Optimization tool shows and defragments only the files that can be defragmented without unmounting the volume. The Volume Optimization tools completes defragmenting files and then moves files to leave the free space all in one piece.

In order to defragment a fragmented file, the disk optimizer must have a piece of disk space that is both free and contiguous (all in one piece) that is at least as large as the file to be defragmented. It is likely that you have fragmented files that are larger than the largest piece of disk space that is both free and contiguous. The disk optimizer cannot be used to remedy such a fragmented volume. The only solution is to copy the files to another volume and then copy them back, as described in:

Optimize Using the Cloning Tool
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 14 Sep 2013 20:48 by micromattech3.

99.90% Free Space Fragmentation 15 Sep 2013 01:46 #4661

Thanks for the swift reply :-)

I was already imaging the drive using Disk Utility and had planned to repartition the drive. Load OSX and use migration assistant to recreate the user accounts and load the apps.

Copying the image back to the drive will make life much easier for me and my client :-)

tnx

Rogier
Smiles across the wires,

Rogier Willems

99.90% Free Space Fragmentation 15 Sep 2013 03:09 #4662

You are welcome, and thanks for the update.

If this particular volume was your client's usual bootable volume, the computer's performance when virtual memory is in use should be better with the new volume. Fragmented virtual memory swapfiles seriously degrade performance.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

99.90% Free Space Fragmentation 15 Sep 2013 03:12 #4663

Yeah reloading the image is running while it type this message. Will take an other hour or two.
Strangely enough I have a 2nd unit also needing a mayor amount of rebuild. But this one is moving along tough the red graph at a very slow space. It has a longggg way to go.
Will check in the morning.

Rogier
Smiles across the wires,

Rogier Willems

99.90% Free Space Fragmentation 15 Sep 2013 03:28 #4664

I have seen people who, to put it politely, do not do too much housekeeping on their Macintosh. Back when Migration Assistant imported only mailboxes and not the messages that were in them, which were saved for a later step, I learned the hard way that the contents of the Inbox did not import properly when there were over 7.000 messages. We had to start over and break the contents of the Inbox up into several smaller mailboxes.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

99.90% Free Space Fragmentation 15 Sep 2013 03:53 #4665

"Only" 7000 messages?
Lucky you, many have +50K in their inbox!
+51GB Mail Library is not uncommon either...
Smiles across the wires,

Rogier Willems

99.90% Free Space Fragmentation 15 Sep 2013 15:37 #4668

Perhaps that is why people have learned how to make Spotlight reindex the mail, by putting it in the Privacy tab of the Spotlight system preferences pane, and then removing it.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Time to create page: 0.368 seconds