Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: Problem with TechToolProDaemon

Problem with TechToolProDaemon 07 Aug 2013 04:03 #4455

My iMac started slowing down drastically it last couple of days so I checked the Activity Monitor. It turns out that TechToolProDaemon is using at least 70% of the CPU (I have an iMac i5 quadcore). If I turn off the TechTool Protection will this fix it? If not, I'll have to un-install TTP and just use it via optical drive.
Cogito Ergo Mac
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Problem with TechToolProDaemon 07 Aug 2013 10:40 #4456

The TechToolProDaemon process runs regardless of whether TechTool Protection is turned on or off.

The TechToolProDaemon process should not be using that much of the CPU. Please repair permissions using Disk Utility, and reinstall TechTool Pro. Launch the TechTool Pro application, and allow it to update the TechTool Protection system preferences pane. Then reconfigure the features in the pref pane.

If you see the problem arise again, please make a screen capture of it and send it to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. . You will be sent a reply by email, and may be asked to send in some log files. Thank you.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 07 Aug 2013 10:44 by micromattech3.

Problem with TechToolProDaemon 10 Aug 2013 20:47 #4468

For now I'm just shutting down the iMac if I won't be using it for a few hours; if it starts slowing down during the day while I'm using it, then I just restart. I'll go ahead and do a permissions repair as I realized that this started after I updated to TTP 6.0.7. I'm trying to decide if it is worth updating to version 7.
Cogito Ergo Mac

Problem with TechToolProDaemon 10 Aug 2013 21:29 #4469

The main improvements in version 7 are to the memory test and the disk optimizer.

You should repair permissions and reinstall TechTool Pro 6.0.7. One person had two problems with TechTool Pro 7, both of which were solved by repairing permissions and reinstalling the program.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 10 Aug 2013 21:32 by micromattech3.

Problem with TechToolProDaemon 14 Aug 2013 07:18 #4486

Dennis Swaney wrote:
if it starts slowing down during the day while I'm using it, then I just restart.

I don't think a restart is required to fix the CPU usage overload, just open Activity Monitor.app and quit the TechToolProDaemon process. Is should suffice to quit it, no need to force quit.
The process should immediately relaunch but sometimes you need to quit it a couple of times to "tame" it.

I'm currently working with Micromat support to have this (or a similar) issue sorted out.
In my case it's related to the e-mail alert you can request to be sent when the free space available on your volumes drop below a defined threshold. You can configure it in the TechTool Protection preference panel. You could try to turn it off and see if the problem goes away.

Problem with TechToolProDaemon 14 Aug 2013 10:30 #4487

Thanks for your report.

If anyone notes odd behavior of the TechToolProDaemon process, please make a screen capture of what you see in Activity Monitor (located in ?applications/Utilities), and send it to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. . Thank you.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Problem with TechToolProDaemon 14 Aug 2013 13:59 #4488

I tried going the Activity Monitor route, and it didn't help; which is why I asked if disabling the TechTool Protection would help. I upgraded to TTP 7 this week so we'll see what happens, though I'm trying to train myself to shut down the iMac if I'm going to be away for several hours (I also now shut it down overnight).
Cogito Ergo Mac

Problem with TechToolProDaemon 14 Aug 2013 14:37 #4489

Thanks for the clarification.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Time to create page: 0.377 seconds