Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: Can't make eDrive and fix permissions keeps fixing the same...

Can't make eDrive and fix permissions keeps fixing the same... 06 Jul 2013 15:41 #4339

I have a powerbook g4 and used ttp4 for years on it, with tiger. I had an eDrive from ttp4 on it. I recently upgraded my system to 10.5.8, and when I attempted to use ttp4 on it, I saw a warning window stating that this system hasn't been tested using ttp4. I created the ttp6.0.6 dvd, and did the checks. I tried to optimize files and the volume, but it told me there wasn't enough space to optimize files or the volumej, and would quit. I never had this problem with ttp4. So, I deleted my ttp4 tiger eDrive to make more space. Still not enough room, so I deleted a bunch of things that i'd backed up onto an external HD. File optimization mostly worked though it said there were one or two files that were too big to contiguously put together, so I ran volume optimization. It mostly worked, it could be here that it told me a few files were too big to optimize with the volume.
Now, I had tried to create a new eDrive. It kept trying, but then telling me it had failed. I read somewhere that ttp6 needed 12gb to make an eDrive and then the internal HD would still need space for system functions to happen. I have a 50 GB internal HD, and I cleared 23 GB of space. With this much open area, ttp6 still tells me that eDrive creation failed, and I should run volume or directory rebuild. Each time this happened I ran volume directory repair, and it would conclude that there was no error to fix, things were fine. It seems to me that there should be enough space to make an eDrive, and now I don't have the former eDrive to update, since I had to erase it for the optimization to have enough space to conclude correctly. What do I do? I'm running a surface scan, but haven't found any bad blocks and haven't had any issues that would indicate that I had any...

Also, running repair permissions keeps telling me that I have the same collection of permissions that were off, and that they have been fixed, but the next time I run fix permissions, the same permissions keep coming up as being 'fixed', which they can't be if they keep being found as 'wrong'.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Can't make eDrive and fix permissions keeps fixing the same... 06 Jul 2013 15:56 #4340

The space needed to create the eDrive must all be both free and contiguous, that is, all in one piece. The Volume Optimization preview in TechTool Pro 6 shows the largest piece of disk space that is both free and contiguous, as "largest".

The Volume Optimization cannot be completed because the few remaining files are too big in relation to the largest free block. The optimizer requires a piece of free disk space that is at least as large as the largest file to be defragmented. If the optimizer cannot solve the problem, the only workaround involving the hard drive is to back up the volume using a utility, erase the volume, and restore the files, using a utility that copies files, not blocks. The result will have all of the free space in one piece, and you could then create an eDrive.

Another approach would be to put the eDrive on a bootable external drive. Unfortunately, you cannot put it on a USB memory stick, because the PowerBook cannot boot from a USB device.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
The following user(s) said Thank You: charlesufford

Can't make eDrive and fix permissions keeps fixing the same... 06 Jul 2013 15:59 #4341

Regarding the permissions problem:

support.apple.com/kb/ts1448
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
The following user(s) said Thank You: charlesufford

Can't make eDrive and fix permissions keeps fixing the same... 06 Jul 2013 17:52 #4346

Well, to make a liar out of me, after I checked for bad blocks on the internal HD and found none I went ahead and attempted to make the eDrive again. This time, it made a partition and has been busily adding files to the eDrive space (it didn't get this far before, so likely it will continue and finish).

Thanks for the info, I had also tried to put the eDrive on an external hard drive just prior to attempting on my internal one again a few minutes ago. It came up with an error message stating error on determining size of partition or something like that (regarding the source external HD). Could this be because the target drive was already a partition of a very large drive? The partition targeted is 231 GB, but maybe ttp6 won't make a partition that's already in a partitioned space?

Thanks again,
Charles

Can't make eDrive and fix permissions keeps fixing the same... 06 Jul 2013 17:57 #4347

Thank you for the info. To make a liar out of me, I just tried again to make an eDrive on my internal HD, and it made it past the partitioning point where it had failed before and is happily adding files to the eDrive partition. It hadn't made it to this point before so likely it will conclude properly now.

Before this, I had just tried to put an eDrive on an external firewire HD. TTP6 didn't let me, listing a sizing error that I don't remember exactly, so I tried again on my internal hd. Did the eDrive fail on the external drive, because the target disc was actually a partition on a much larger HD? The partition is empty, contiguous and 231 GB and it's a 1TB external HD

Can't make eDrive and fix permissions keeps fixing the same... 06 Jul 2013 19:51 #4348

You are welcome, and thanks for the update. It is good to see that an eDrive is in progress.

The routine that creates the eDrive uses Apple system software tools to split the eDrive Source Volume you chose in the eDrive pane interface. It appears that the tool objected to something about the partition map. I suggest that you use Disk Utility to check the partition map. You select the drive mechanism in Disk Utility, rather than a volume, and then click the Repair Disk button. The output looks like this:

Verifying and repairing partition map for “WDC WD1001FALS-40Y6A0 Media”
Checking prerequisites
Checking the partition list
Checking for an EFI system partition
Checking the EFI system partition’s size
Checking the EFI system partition’s file system
Checking all HFS data partition loader spaces
Reviewing boot support loaders
Checking Core Storage Physical Volume partitions
Updating Windows boot.ini files as required
The partition map appears to be OK

If a problem is found with the partition map that Disk Utility cannot repair, you would have to back up all volumes on the drive and reformat it.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Time to create page: 0.363 seconds