Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: SMART Status Failed on possibly good drive?

SMART Status Failed on possibly good drive? 02 Jul 2013 05:08 #4287

I checked the SMART status on a recent WD drive. It has no bars on the chart and shows Failed. What is unusual is that Disk Utility shows its status as "Verified". When I run any tests on it, they show the drive in excellent condition. I have this drive connected via an eSATA dock - putting another drive in the same dock gave normal readings.

It is a couple of months old and, with OS 8, I now run more than one Time Machine backup so sending this for warranty will be a minor inconvenience but still, it is weird. I just want to make certain I am not missing something here.

On a tangentially related subject. My next Mac will be accessing external drives via ThunderBolt and/or USB 3. Is either protocol able to monitor SMART status on an external hard drive?

Thanks,
The administrator has disabled public write access.

SMART Status Failed on possibly good drive? 02 Jul 2013 10:24 #4288

Disk Utility does not show as many S.M.A.R.T. attributes as TechTool Pro and other third-party programs do. You need to see which of the individual S.M.A.R.T attributes failed. If you are not getting the graphics in the S.M.A.R.T test because you are using Mountain Lion and have one of the graphics cards that do not support Quartz Extreme graphics under Mountain Lion, you should try the drive on another computer,

Once you find out which S.M.A.R.T attribute has the failure, do a search for it and the mechanism or model description to see whether there is a known problem. For example, see the results of this search:

Western DIgital SMART 190

One result is in our own forums:

SMART Status Failed on possibly good drive?
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

SMART Status Failed on possibly good drive? 02 Jul 2013 10:36 #4289

The S.M.A.R.T. test is not memory-intensive, so you could run it from your TechTool Pro bootable DVD, which will not have Mountain Lion on it.

I am not aware of any new S.M.A.R.T. developments except for this one:

OS X SAT SMART drivers
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

SMART Status Failed on possibly good drive? 02 Jul 2013 15:19 #4292

Other drives in this dock show the graphics. My internal drive also shows the graphics. Usually, when TTP shows Failed, so does Disk Utility. not the case here.

Yes, I have a Mac with one of the problem video cards but TTP 6.05 displays graphics. 6.06 does not.

SMART Status Failed on possibly good drive? 02 Jul 2013 17:00 #4293

The Quartz Extreme graphics were turned off in TechTool Pro 6.0.6 for Mountain Lion users because the unsupported graphics cause a crash.

If the WD drive is on the same bus as other drives that do show S.M.A.R.T. graphics, please send an email message to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. . You will receive a reply by email, and may be asked to send in an Apple System Information report. Thank you.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

SMART Status Failed on possibly good drive? 03 Jul 2013 02:53 #4306

Or I can just send the drive to WD under warranty. Sometimes, it's ok not to know the answer.

SMART Status Failed on possibly good drive? 03 Jul 2013 03:00 #4307

I have experienced a crash due to to the graphics issue but it was not with TechTool Pro 6.05. It was within MOTU Audio Setup. Having read about it already on this site, I wasn't surprised when they told me of the bug.

Still, it makes upgrading to TTP 7 out of the question until MicroMat or Apple does something. Perhaps OS 10.9?

SMART Status Failed on possibly good drive? 03 Jul 2013 03:05 #4308

I think we need to investigate why you are not seeing the graphics. Please send a message as described above. If you can get the graphics showing a S.M.A.R.T. failure, you will have evidence for a warranty claim.

The status of the problem with the Quartz Extreme graphics, Mountain Lion, and certain video cards is discussed in this thread:

Volume optimization missing graphic.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

SMART Status Failed on possibly good drive? 11 Oct 2013 16:22 #4751

Update. The problem turned out to be a bad eSATA cable. Weird but true. The drive is doing fine and now reports S.M.A.R.T status correctly.

SMART Status Failed on possibly good drive? 11 Oct 2013 16:59 #4753

Thanks for the update, and for a reminder about how important cables can be.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Time to create page: 0.371 seconds