Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: TechTool Protection switches itself back on; console messages; CPU usage

TechTool Protection switches itself back on; console messages; CPU usage 09 Jun 2013 04:01 #4082

I'm running TTP 6.0.6 on an early 2008 Mac Pro 2.8Ghz quad core running OS X 10.6.8.

I noticed a few weeks ago that the TechToolProDaemon seemed to be using quite a bit of CPU at times. I checked the TT Protection PrefPane, which I don't use and had previously switched off, and found it was running, with all of its components switched on. I tried to turn it off, but it would not immediately respond to the "Stop" button. Eventually, after switching all the components off individually, I got it to switch off.

After noticing the TechToolProDaemon using lots of CPU again, I checked the PrefPane and found everything switched on again. This has now happened multiple times. It sometimes stays off - giving the "Protection features are disabled..." message and nothing else in the pane, but sometimes just switches on - with one or more components on when I check it - or gets confused: Right now the Run/Stop button says "Run" but it is greyed out, the rest of the pane is visible and clickable and Volume Usage shows as being on, but is empty.

As I was watching it just now it switched itself on and launched another daemon for Directory Backup. All the other components switched themselves on too. When I click the Run/Stop button it switches off, but only for a few seconds then just comes on again.

Checking the Console, I am getting multiple messages about every 40 seconds:
cp: /Library/Application Support/TechTool Protection///Directory Backup 2013-06-09-13-56-17: No such file or directory

These appear to correspond to the PrefPane turning itself back on and also TechTool Protection folder recreating itself.

This behaviour persists across restarts. What should I do?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

TechTool Protection switches itself back on; console messages; CPU usage 09 Jun 2013 12:54 #4083

If TechTool Pro is installed, the TechToolProDaemon will load at the end of the boot, regardless of the settings made in the TechTool Protection system preferences pane regarding the individual features configured there. Of course, if you turn a particular feature, such as Directory Backup, off, it should remain off.

I suggest you repair permissions using Disk Utility, reinstall TechTool Pro using the TechTool Pro 6.0.6 installer, launch the TechTool Pro application, allow it to update the TechTool Protection system preferences pane, and then reconfigure the features in the TechTool Protection system preferences pane. If that does not work, please send an email message to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. , including a link to this thread. Thank you.

Assuming that you copied the text from your console log, this entry is odd:

cp: /Library/Application Support/TechTool Protection///Directory Backup 2013-06-09-13-56-17: No such file or directory

The name of a folder cannot begin with two // characters.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 09 Jun 2013 12:57 by micromattech3.

TechTool Protection switches itself back on; console messages; CPU usage 13 Jun 2013 11:12 #4090

Thanks for the message and sorry for taking so long to respond.

I have just tried all that exactly as instructed and the behaviour is only slightly changed - the TechTool Protection prefpane is now the current version. It's possible it wasn't before. I do remember at some point cancelling the dialog in the TTP application that was asking me to update the prefpane. However, it is now refusing to turn off most of the time when I click the "Stop" button and when it does switch off, it comes back on within a few seconds.

It seems to be writing to the Console Log less frequently, but still the same weird message, with the 3 consecutive slashes when it does.

I will email as requested now. Thanks again for your help.

TechTool Protection switches itself back on; console messages; CPU usage 13 Jun 2013 12:17 #4091

You are welcome, and thanks for your cooperation.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Time to create page: 0.358 seconds