Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: Surface scan cancelled after 10% scanned and 176 bad blocks, but no report available.

Surface scan cancelled after 10% scanned and 176 bad blocks, but no report available. 12 May 2013 16:50 #4041

I performed a surface scan on an external HD and TechTools reported 176 bad blocks after only ten percent of the drive was scanned. Since it was clear to me that the drive was defective, I cancelled the scan of the remaining ninety percent. Unfortunately no report was saved of the partial surface scan showing the 176 bad blocks.

Before I sent the drive under warranty to the supplier I reformatted the drive and wrote zero's to it to wipe sensitive data. After this operation no bad blocks could be found! Is there some way I can restore or find the original partial surface scan results showing the 176 bad blocks?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Surface scan cancelled after 10% scanned and 176 bad blocks, but no report available. 12 May 2013 17:48 #4044

Because you wrote zeros to the drive, the bad blocks were remapped to spare blocks. Once that happens, any request to visit the bad block results in a trip to the corresponding spare block. A bad block cannot be detected once it has been remapped.

If the Reports in TechTool Pro show no evidence of the results other than the fact that the user cancelled the test, the only suggestion I can make is to check the All Messages log and see if any input output or i/o errors were recorded.

If you ever find yourself in this situation again, make a screen capture of the results of the Surface Scan, or take a digital photograph of the screen.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Surface scan cancelled after 10% scanned and 176 bad blocks, but no report available. 12 May 2013 18:08 #4045

The drive vendor should be able to see that the bad blocks were remapped, using their own software tools.

I have suggested that in a case such as yours, in which the Surface Scan is cancelled after having found bad blocks, that both facts be recorded in the log. I am not sure whether that can be done easily.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Surface scan cancelled after 10% scanned and 176 bad blocks, but no report available. 13 May 2013 17:37 #4047

TechTool Pro 6.0.6 should have included in its report both the fact that the user cancelled the test and the number of bad blocks it encountered. If it did not, I do not have an explanation for why both facts were not recorded.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Time to create page: 0.357 seconds