Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: Data recovery impossible - 'Locate Files' greys out

Data recovery impossible - 'Locate Files' greys out 23 Apr 2013 22:23 #3949

I was successfully recovering files from a damaged hard drive when the process stopped for no apparent reason. I was recovering .ORF files in batches and each one would take a few minutes to be recovered. I stopped the process after about ten hours in which no files had been recovered, and an XMP file containing the Exif information of the last tecovered file was saved.

I tried the whole process of locating files again but the Locate Files buttons greyed out as expected when it was clicked but the clock face did not appear in the top of the screen and nothing happened (although the core indicators suggested activity). The Locate Files buttons remained unavailable even if I quit TTP and restarted it, and even if another drive was selected for searching.

I've tried deinstalling TTP according to instructions, but the problem remains.

Any ideas?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Data recovery impossible - 'Locate Files' greys out 23 Apr 2013 23:18 #3950

Did you run the Surface Scan to see if this damaged drive has unremapped bad blocks?

It is possible that the Data Recovery tool has read the blocks that can be read, and it is possible that it encountered a part of the drive that cannot be read, and was unable to reach the next readable part.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Data recovery impossible - 'Locate Files' greys out 24 Apr 2013 08:04 #3951

There were about 2,000 .orf files that had previously been located on more than one occasion and I was working my way through them in batches. Now it won't find even the unrestored ones. I'll try the Surface Scan and see if that helps.

Data recovery impossible - 'Locate Files' greys out 24 Apr 2013 10:26 #3952

The Surface Scan detects unremapped bad blocks, which are bad media that nothing can repair. Running it may help to explain why further progress in recovery was not made. Also, take a look at the All Messages log, and see if any errors that appear to be related to the data recovery were recorded. The log can be read using the Console application, located in /Applications/Utilities.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 24 Apr 2013 10:54 by micromattech3.
Time to create page: 0.381 seconds