Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: E-Drive and OSX 10.8.3?

E-Drive and OSX 10.8.3? 17 Apr 2013 02:05 #3923

I can't seem to get my e-drive to work with OSX 10.8.3.

I have created my e-drive on an external HDD, but when I go to run it, my iMac just restarts up on the main internal HDD.

What steps do I need to take to work around this?

Thanks for the support.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: E-Drive and OSX 10.8.3? 17 Apr 2013 02:24 #3924

First, make sure that the external drive is formatted with a GUID partition map for models with an Intel processor, or an Apple Partition Map for models with a PowerPC processor. The volume should be a Mac OS Extended (journaled) volume. (PowerPC models, in general, cannot boot from USB devices. Since you are using Mountain Lion, that is not the problem in your case.)

There are some cases in which the eDrive does not appear in the Startup Manager that you invoke by holding down the Option key at the start of the boot until you have made one successful boot using the Restart eDrive button in the eDrive pane of the TechTool Pro application.

There are cases in which an eDrive can be successfully created only by both repairing permissions using Disk Utility, reinstalling TechTool Pro, removing the present eDrive (use the Remove eDrive button) and then making a new eDrive.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 17 Apr 2013 02:27 by micromattech3.

Re: E-Drive and OSX 10.8.3? 17 Apr 2013 02:43 #3925

Thanks, my external is a FW 800 drive, formatted with the GUID and Mac OS Extended volume.
I have tried to use the option key restart and the e-drive showed up, but when I select it and do a restart, my iMac restarts up on the internal HDD. If I select the e-drive from within system preferences startup and startup on the e-drive the same thing happens my iMac restarts up on the internal HDD.

I've removed and recreated a new e-drive also.

Should I repair permissions on both my external in internal and then try to create a new e-drive after doing that?

Re: E-Drive and OSX 10.8.3? 17 Apr 2013 10:27 #3926

You are welcome.

Repair permissions on the volume chosen to be the Mac OS X Source Volume, then reinstall TechTool Pro on the active startup volume, remove the present eDrive using the Remove eDrive button, and then make a new eDrive. Use the Restart eDrive button in the eDrive pane of the TechTool Pro application to attempt to boot from the eDrive.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Re: E-Drive and OSX 10.8.3? 17 Apr 2013 15:17 #3927

Thanks,I think that solved my problem.

Re: E-Drive and OSX 10.8.3? 17 Apr 2013 16:49 #3928

You are welcome, and thanks for the update.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

E-Drive and OSX 10.8.3? 28 Apr 2013 19:46 #3962

Hi there,

I have the same problem with my Macbook Pro 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5 with SSD. Cannot boot from my external FW 800 (using Thunderbolt adaptor) e-drive. It has a GUID partition map.

I have followed your instructions on this topic by repairing permissions using Disk Utility, reinstalling TechTool Pro, removing the present eDrive and then making a new eDrive, but cannot boot from the external drive using the restart eDrive button on TTP 6.0.6

Thanks

E-Drive and OSX 10.8.3? 28 Apr 2013 20:03 #3963

Try using the Startup Manager that you invoke by holding down the Option key at the start of the boot, and also see if using the Mount eDrive button in the eDrive pane of TechTool Pro allows you to select the eDrive in the Startup Disk pane of System Preferences. In addition to a GUID partition map, the volume split to make the eDrive must be a Mac OS Extended (journaled) volume.

I have not encountered any reports of whether external FireWire drives that are bootable when connected directly to a FireWire port can become not bootable when used with a Thunderbolt adapter. There does seem to be a question about the amount of power provided by the adapter, which may not be adequate for all drives:

store.apple.com/us/reviews/MD464ZM/A/app...-to-firewire-adaptor

If the volume on the FireWire drive is large enough, I would try installing Mac OS X on it, just to see if that installation works.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 28 Apr 2013 20:03 by micromattech3.
The following user(s) said Thank You: musicb3

E-Drive and OSX 10.8.3? 28 Apr 2013 20:18 #3964

Thanks for your prompt reply! I was able to mount the eDrive in TechTool Pro, select the eDrive in the Startup Disk pane of System Preference and it booted up fine.

Many thanks,
David

E-Drive and OSX 10.8.3? 28 Apr 2013 20:31 #3965

You are welcome, and thanks for letting me know that the Startup Disk pane approach worked.

For the record, when you use the Mount eDrive button in TechTool Pro, the eDrive mounts and remains mounted until you quit the TechTool Pro application. At that point, the TechToolProDaemon background process unmounts the eDrive, just as it does at the end of each boot.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
The following user(s) said Thank You: musicb3
Time to create page: 0.358 seconds