Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: Mail.app problems

Mail.app problems 16 Apr 2013 16:02 #3917

Hi, long time user of TechTool Pro, but unsure if I truly understand what it is doing for me.

Most recently Apple's Mail app has been a problem, starting with inability to create an iCal appointment from appropriate data within an email message. And for the last 24 hours, a report that my SMTP server is offline, so that I can receive emails, but not send them. Even though the other Mac in the room - on the same network - is able to send, and I can access the web from both machines.

So why post this to the TTPro Forum? I'm puzzled that TTPro's File Structure tests find hundreds of suspect files in my system, while Apple's Disk Utility says everything is OK. What is the significance of this?

Please help steer me in the right direction.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Mail.app problems 16 Apr 2013 16:24 #3918

Disk Utility is checking for disk directory errors, to see if there is a problem with the way the file's location on the volume is recorded in the disk directory. Our Volume Structures test is a somewhat more thorough test for the same problem. If a file is not properly recorded in the disk directory, it may not be able to be opened, or copied.

The File Structures test is checking to see if the structure of the file meets Apple's published specifications for a file of that type. Please see the description of the File Structures test in the TechTool Pro manual for instructions on interpreting the results.

The only suggestion I can give for your Mail problem is to look at the All Messages log using the Console application, located in /Applications/Utilities, for errors that arise when you try to create the iCal appointment. If you post them in the Apple forums, someone may be able to help. Also, take a brief portion of an error message (without anything specific to your case, such as the timestamp) and search for it at Google.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 16 Apr 2013 16:25 by micromattech3.

Re: Mail.app problems 16 Apr 2013 16:43 #3919

Thanks. I've found repeated instances of the following error, and will take this to the Apple Forums:

16/04/2013 9:40:08.050 AM Mail[222]: [<_LibSasl2SASLClient: 0x7fb2dd8241b0> mechanism: PLAIN security layer: no] Failed to start the SASL connection
SASL(-1): generic failure:

But meanwhile, what do I do about all these hundreds of "damaged" files?

Re: Mail.app problems 16 Apr 2013 16:52 #3920

You are welcome.

The files flagged by the File Structures test are not necessarily damaged, as is explained in the manual. If you look at the pathnames for the files, and they appear to be related to Mail or iCal, then they might be contributing to your problem. If the files are mostly graphics, and they open, then while they do not meet the strict specifications, they are not damaged.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Time to create page: 0.349 seconds