Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: Volume optimisation seems stalled

Volume optimisation seems stalled 18 Feb 2013 20:58 #3755

Have just purchased program and am running Volume optimisation for 1st time. It has been running for over 36 hours, last night when I got home it was at 86%, this morning it's still at 86%. Would it be moving a rather large block or stalled? Do I just hit the x to end? Ramifications of ending early?
Thanks!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Volume optimisation seems stalled 18 Feb 2013 21:13 #3756

Please see the thread Unknown Status of Optimization.

For future reference, it is preferable not to run the disk optimizer or any other memory-intensive process from the bootable DVD. When the Macintosh is running from a locked volume, virtual memory cannot be used, and no log files can be written.

Before beginning the optimization, it is prudent to run the Volume Structures test, and then the Surface Scan to check the drive for unremapped bad blocks. The major causes of failed optimizations are pre-existing disk directory errors, and unremapped bad blocks.

To defragment a file, the optimizer requires a piece of free, contiguous (all in one piece) disk space that is at least the size of the file. The Volume Optimization preview shows the size of the largest unused block of disk space.

Always make and test a backup before running any disk optimizer.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Re: Volume optimisation seems stalled 18 Feb 2013 21:53 #3757

Thanks, I've attached a Sample Process below. I did run the other tests first and am running the optimisation from the edrive.

If iyou can discern whether it's still processing I will let it run its course.

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Re: Volume optimisation seems stalled 18 Feb 2013 21:57 #3758

argh it didnt attach, here we go
C:\fakepath\Sample of TechTool Pro 6.pdf

Re: Volume optimisation seems stalled 18 Feb 2013 22:55 #3759

A programmer would have to look at the output of the sample command. Please send it to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. , including a link to this thread. The company will reopen tomorrow at 9 A.M. PST.

We have had problems with uploading anything but screen captures to the forums.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 18 Feb 2013 22:56 by micromattech3.

Re: Volume optimisation seems stalled 27 Mar 2015 15:00 #6280

micromattech3 wrote:
Please see the thread Unknown Status of Optimization.

Always make and test a backup before running any disk optimizer.

I understand the making a backup, (I do with Time Machine and Super Duper) but how do you test it? First time I heard this one.

Re: Volume optimisation seems stalled 27 Mar 2015 15:32 #6283

Check the backup to make sure that it appears to have the files it should have. There is no really good way to do this, but I would at least check the user folder to make sure that it contains new copies of files that have recently changed. There have been cases in which backup programs have failed to back up some files. Time Machine will not back up files that have user permissions set in such a way that nobody has permission to read the files. Super Duper's log should tell you if any files were skipped that are not intended to be skipped (I had that happen once, and the developer was able to make a new build that solved the problem).
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Time to create page: 0.298 seconds