Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: TechTool Pro 6 and Fusion drive

TechTool Pro 6 and Fusion drive 26 Dec 2012 06:28 #3448

A new iMac with a 3TB fusion drive is about to be shipped to me. When I have migrated, how should I setup TechTool Pro?
- Can I create an eDrive just as I do with a standard HDD
- What about using file and volume optimisations?

Thanks
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: TechTool Pro 6 and Fusion drive 26 Dec 2012 12:56 #3449

Until we can do extensive testing with a Fusion drive, we are recommending that you run the tests on it, but do not use the Tools on it (do not rebuild its disk directory, run the disk optimizer to optimizer it, or put an eDrive on it). There are limitations to the number of additional partitions that can be added to these drives, and the part that uses flash memory should not be optimized, as is true of all SSD drives.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 26 Dec 2012 13:39 by micromattech3.

Re: TechTool Pro 6 and Fusion drive 26 Dec 2012 15:35 #3450

Thank you - do you have plans to perform such tests in the near future?

Re: TechTool Pro 6 and Fusion drive 26 Dec 2012 16:07 #3451

You are welcome.

Yes, but I do not know just when when the testing will be done. If I had one of these drives, I would periodically check MacInTouch and the Apple Support Forums to see if there is any important news about them.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Re: TechTool Pro 6 and Fusion drive 26 Dec 2012 19:07 #3452

Hmm, good thinking. Thanks

Re: TechTool Pro 6 and Fusion drive 26 Dec 2012 19:08 #3453

You are welcome, and thanks for your kind remark.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Re: TechTool Pro 6 and Fusion drive 21 Jan 2013 19:49 #3636

Hi, I’ve been thinking about the use of TechTool now I have my new iMac (with fusion drive).

I’m really not clear if there is any value in my having TechTool with my new setup. On your advice I shouldn’t try to run things that work on the drive. With the Mac restore features there doesn’t seem to be much point to installing an eDrive.

So, am I thinking this through wrongly or have the days of TechTool come to an end, at least for the likes of people with my setup?

Re: TechTool Pro 6 and Fusion drive 21 Jan 2013 19:53 #3638

We have suggested that you not use the tools in TechTool Pro to make changes to the Fusion drive until we have more experience with it. You can still use TechTool Pro to check the disk directory for errors, run the Surface Scan to check for unremapped bad blocks, back up the disk directory with the Protection feature, and monitor the remaining free space. Too many people who have TechTool Pro are not running the Surface Scan until they have many bad blocks and obvious trouble caused by them.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Re: TechTool Pro 6 and Fusion drive 21 Jan 2013 19:57 #3640

Hi, I think I’ll probably uninstall TechTool Pro - at least for now it doesn’t seem to be doing anything for me. Thanks though for your help.

ps I posted the same comment as a new topic - you might want to remove it. I thought I had forgotten to click on the submit button - hence the new posting

Re: TechTool Pro 6 and Fusion drive 21 Jan 2013 20:01 #3642

You should know that if you uninstall the program or do not use the Protection feature to back up the disk directory, the file recovery feature will be limited to the recovery of files that are in one piece if it must attempt to recover data without making use of the disk directory. No utility can recover fragmented files without making use of disk directory data.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Re: TechTool Pro 6 and Fusion drive 21 Jan 2013 20:04 #3643

But does the directory feature work with a fusion drive? I had thought from a previous reply, that it wasn’t known if it would work with fusion drives as this hadn’t yet been tested.

I am now using a RAID setup for TimeMachine and backups so that should give me some recovery capability

Re: TechTool Pro 6 and Fusion drive 21 Jan 2013 20:13 #3644

We have no reason to believe that the Protection feature will not work with a Fusion drive. If you encounter any problem with it, please send an email message to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. , including a link to this thread. Thank you.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Re: TechTool Pro 6 and Fusion drive 04 Aug 2013 21:51 #4447

Can you please give an update on whether or when TTP 7 will work on a fusion drive. It had been my go to tool and I upgraded to 7 at the same time I went fusion and now hear the tool won't work or shouldnt be used. Please advise!

Re: TechTool Pro 6 and Fusion drive 04 Aug 2013 22:17 #4448

I can only tell you that we are working on providing support for the Fusion drive. Until then, you can use the Tests to examine the Fusion drive, but do not use the Tools to modify it, and do not attempt to split a volume on it to create an eDrive.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Re: TechTool Pro 6 and Fusion drive 02 Sep 2013 18:33 #4632

Any update to this? I have a 2012 iMac with Fusion Drive and need to be able to use Techtool Pro 6.

Re: TechTool Pro 6 and Fusion drive 02 Sep 2013 18:41 #4633

We are continuing to work on providing support for the Fusion drive.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Time to create page: 0.353 seconds