Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: Directory Backup and Trash History fail for encrypted Volumes

Directory Backup and Trash History fail for encrypted Volumes 28 Jul 2012 18:59 #2658

The Directory Backup function in the TechTool Pro Protection preference pane does not allow me to save directory dnformation for my Lion system volume which is protected by an active FileVault encryption.

In the volume list, the line for this Volume is displayed in grey, and the check box cannot be activated. Other volumes (not FileVault protected) are active and can be checked:

Screenshot1.png

The situation with the Trash History function is similar: The encrypted volume cannot
be checked, either:

Screenshot2.png

I am using TechTool Pro 6.0.4 (german version from ASH) and OS X 10.7.4 on a 15" MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz (Mid/Late 2007).

Notes:
1. With TechTool Pro 6.0.3 (before installing the 6.0.4 update), the encrypted volumes could be checked and the directory information could be saved via the Backup Now button, but the saved file was empty (size 0 kB).
2. The described behavior is identical when TechTool is installed and configured identically on my 27" iMac (Mid 2011).
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Directory Backup and Trash History fail for encrypted Volumes 28 Jul 2012 20:21 #2659

Thanks for your clear and detailed report. Please send a message to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. , including a link to this thread. You will receive a reply by email on Monday. Thank you.

I recall one other problem involving the German localization, in which a process failed because of the way a pathname had been specified, but cannot find the thread now.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Re: Directory Backup and Trash History fail for encrypted Volumes 31 Jul 2012 04:51 #2671

For the record, because of licensing, security, and other issues, Directory Backup and Trash History cannot be enabled on FileVault2 encrypted volumes.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Re: Directory Backup and Trash History fail for encrypted Volumes 24 Jan 2014 16:02 #5150

Is there an alternative encryption method that will allow these to work?

Re: Directory Backup and Trash History fail for encrypted Volumes 24 Jan 2014 16:53 #5151

No, there is an inherent problem in dealing with encrypted data.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Re: Directory Backup and Trash History fail for encrypted Volumes 24 Jan 2014 17:48 #5152

If you can do without whole volume encryption, take a look at Pretty Good Privacy. I do not use it myself, but I do not see why encrypting a specific file or folder would cause either Directory Backup or Trash History not to work.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Time to create page: 0.338 seconds