Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Search Micromat Forum

Keyword

TOPIC: what is "invalid sibling link" and how do I fix it?

what is "invalid sibling link" and how do I fix it? 01 Jan 2012 05:53 #1737

Cannot make e drive due to problem. checked with disk utility and problem is 'invalid sibling link"

Help?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: what is "invalid sibling link" and how do I fix it? 01 Jan 2012 06:04 #1738

Invalid sibling links are HFS+ and HFS disk directory errors that can occur under either Mac OS 9 or Mac OS X.

The HFS+ and HFS disk directories contain logical structures called nodes that are related in a way that can be visualized as an upside down tree (forming the Catalog B-Tree and Extents B-Tree files). Each node is pointed to by a parent node, and each node except the last one on a branch can point to one or more children. When the data expressing the relationship between a node and its parent or child is incorrect, the result is called an invalid sibling link.

There are three types of nodes, index nodes, leaf nodes, and thread nodes. Index nodes record the file name and folder ID number of the enclosing folder, and leaf nodes point to the sectors that contain the data of a file. The thread nodes are described as "navigation aids" for navigating through the directory.

Either Disk Utility or the Volume Rebuild feature of TechTool Pro 6 may be able to repair the invalid sibling link. Be sure to make a backup of the volume first.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Re: what is "invalid sibling link" and how do I fix it? 03 Jan 2012 03:50 #1747

fixed with terminal!

Re: what is "invalid sibling link" and how do I fix it? 03 Jan 2012 04:01 #1748

Thanks for the update.

When you run Disk Utility to repair the disk directory on a volume, it calls fsck_hfs, which you can run yourself in Terminal if you know how to specify the volume and what flags to use. Apple has a Knowledge Base article with instructions for using fsck_hfs.
MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Last Edit: 03 Jan 2012 04:10 by micromattech3.
The following user(s) said Thank You: gbeekman@maine.rr.com
Time to create page: 0.276 seconds